Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Never really had any big Christmas traditions in my family. I started to ignore the holiday when I was old enough to be somewhere else. I think I totally skipped a few Christmases during high school years and did ecstasy with some friends instead. I think that kind of down feeling about Christmas was very apparent already back then. I don't think we really enjoyed doing drugs, but that was one alternative back then.

I think one big downside for people that do not really celebrate Christmas, but live in the Western world is that there are limited options for entertainment during those days and also limited amount of friends available to do stuff with. It kinda feels like time stops during Christmas. I think the very first time I felt alone in this world was during Christmas when my best friends at the time had to leave the country for a week.

I don't watch any Christmas related movies, because I've had enough of those from my younger years. Instead I'm watching a show called Animal Kingdom which is about a criminal family from the beaches of California.

[...]
So true. A lot of my friends have gone away for vacations or have their own family things on. I caught up with a lot of friends in the last two weeks but there's not much to do this week. I have a friend's Christmas lunch but family has been a letdown which isn't really surprising but still... this time of year often exacerbates the negative feelings that are mostly dormant.

So cheers to us finding our own entertainment :drink: Is that show related to the Australian movie of the same name in 2010?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
In Germany we have nothing, just the 4 Hills tournament in ski jumping starting a few days after Xmas.

Boxing Day from the UK is nice to watch, but german league goes into Winterbreak
If you want to get into a different sport, there's the boxing day cricket test match in Australia. I personally find cricket quite boring but it's there if you need a shot of sport :grin2:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
So cheers to us finding our own entertainment :drink: Is that show related to the Australian movie of the same name in 2010?
Never heard about the Ozzie movie before. I would assume that it is not though.

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
If you want to get into a different sport, there's the boxing day cricket test match in Australia. I personally find cricket quite boring but it's there if you need a shot of sport :grin2:
yes :lol: cricket on boxing day. :zzz: Or the yacht racing :eek:h:

·
Registered
18,949 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
The first two are the best. I had so much fun watching 1 and 2 as a kid. I learnt some phrases out of these :SNE: Third is ok, but different vibe.
At school, people would go around imitating the Kevin aftershave scene. I went to an all-girls school :lol:

There's this amusing article about the fourth instalment.
The main lessons from Home Alone 4:

The McCallisters remain one big happy family, even though it wasn’t looking good for a while
Kevin has toned down his brutality as he’s got older
The new Marv is less lovable and more incompetent than the original version
This film should never have been made
https://www.dailyedge.ie/home-alone-4-3759566-Dec2017/

It got 2.3/5 on Rotten tomatoes :rolls:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My family isn't Christian, but since I come from a mixed background we do a small family get together on Christmas day. Nothing religious or anything, but it's nice for my nephews and stuff.

Maybe I should try watching some Christmas movies - never done so before :grin2:

no, its just like any other day for me
חג שמח וכשר לשנינו! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My family isn't Christian, but since I come from a mixed background we do a small family get together on Christmas day. Nothing religious or anything, but it's nice for my nephews and stuff.

Maybe I should try watching some Christmas movies - never done so before :grin2:

חג שמח וכשר לשנינו! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You should do it! You could start with Die Hard to ease into it. Most Christmas movies don't have high body counts and bloody violence* :lol:

As for me, I'm kickstarting my marathon later today with While You Were Sleeping (Christmassy, sickly sweet and sentimental); then Love, Actually; with Seinfeld Christmas eps in between if I get nauseous; plus other Christmas/New Years movies; and then slowly easing out of the Christmas theme with Die Hard, Galaxy Quest, Wonder Woman and Aliens :armed:

* Home Alone is borderline :eek:h:

·
Registered
18,949 Posts
At school, people would go around imitating the Kevin aftershave scene. I went to an all-girls school :lol:

There's this amusing article about the fourth instalment.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/home-alone-4-3759566-Dec2017/

It got 2.3/5 on Rotten tomatoes :rolls:
:lol: aftershave for girls?
I remember me and my little bro doing the lines to the Filthy Angels segments.

btw spoiler alert to those who haven't watched either Home alone 1 or 2.
You should do it! You could start with Die Hard to ease into it. Most Christmas movies don't have high body counts and bloody violence* :lol:

As for me, I'm kickstarting my marathon later today with While You Were Sleeping (Christmassy, sickly sweet and sentimental); then Love, Actually; with Seinfeld Christmas eps in between if I get nauseous; plus other Christmas/New Years movies; and then slowly easing out of the Christmas theme with Die Hard, Galaxy Quest, Wonder Woman and Aliens :armed:

* Home Alone is borderline :eek:h:
are you sure about that? :laugh2:

again spoiler alert for those who haven't watched it.

I haven't made my mind up yet about Love Actually. Some bits are so soppy I want to puke, other times I enjoy the comforts.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
So true. A lot of my friends have gone away for vacations or have their own family things on. I caught up with a lot of friends in the last two weeks but there's not much to do this week. I have a friend's Christmas lunch but family has been a letdown which isn't really surprising but still... this time of year often exacerbates the negative feelings that are mostly dormant.

I know.... I've had that for years, but here's a big :hug:

This is definitely the worst time of the year for me... brings everything to the front :sad:

Thanks for this thread :kiss:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
:lol: aftershave for girls?
I remember me and my little bro doing the lines to the Filthy Angels segments.

btw spoiler alert to those who haven't watched either Home alone 1 or 2.

are you sure about that? :laugh2:

again spoiler alert for those who haven't watched it.

I haven't made my mind up yet about Love Actually. Some bits are so soppy I want to puke, other times I enjoy the comforts.
:haha: That's brilliant! I stand corrected. They should do a special release of the movie titled: Kevin McCallister - The Making of a Murderer.
@ishgever to add to my recommendation, do start with Die Hard but follow with Home Alone where it gets both more Christmassy and disturbingly violent than John McClane's heroics.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts