Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a certain pressure this time of year to feel happy, loved, connected... but in reality, that's not the case for all of us. Not to begrudge those who do get the warm and fuzzy feelings over the holiday season (good for you) but for some of us, things can be not-so-rosie, a little mediocre, not bad but just like any other day.

So, I thought I'd create a thread for posters who may feel less-than-festive (spanning the neutral to negative. Anyone feeling cheery is still welcome but don't be too cheery :lol:).

To kick things off, I intend to go on a movie binge. I may not like the holiday season but I do like movies capturing the holiday season. On my list:

- While you were sleeping
- When Harry met Sally
- Love, Actually
- Die Hard (it's a Christmas movie, damnit! And Alan Rickman :worship:)

And then moving away from the holiday theme:
- Galaxy Quest (cos Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver)
- Aliens (cos Signourney Weaver plus an example where the sequel surpassed the original)
- Wonder Woman (cos there was a dvd sale at JB hifi :lol:)

If you're also going on a movie (or TV) binge, what's on your list? If not, what's on your mind? Shoot the shit, I'm here all week :smile2:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every year it saddens me to notice that in the second half of December the subway trains enter the stations very slowly.
I feel ya. Trains are slow in my neck of the woods regardless of time of year. Maybe I should add "Speed" to my movie list :wink2:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice thread idea :) I'm neutral, don't care much about the usual holiday stuff, although I do of course appreciate getting days off work ;)
Yes to time off :yeah: We have frivolous public holidays (for horse racing and football) but I love it for that reason :lol:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
- Love, Actually
And what has now, I suppose, turned into a bit of a Christmas classic! Maybe I just thought it was tacky when I was a young teenager when it came out but it’s aged well! If you got the UK comedy in it that is.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And what has now, I suppose, turned into a bit of a Christmas classic! Maybe I just thought it was tacky when I was a young teenager when it came out but it’s aged well! If you got the UK comedy in it that is.
It's one of my favourites despite some corny bits. It had such a great ensemble - Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, and pre-walking dead Andrew Lincoln. Plus they incorporated Mariah's classic Christmas song into the movie :grin2:

I think UK comedy's a bit under-rated. They've produced some great films/tv shows.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I always feel kind of bad during new year. People are always positive and I'm not and that gives not only an outsider feeling but a feeling I'm not enjoying life as I should. Also, I always have this feeling of end of the year and what have you done.

The food and vacations are good, so it kind of evens out.

On movies, I just downloaded Escape from New York, because I really love Big Trouble in Little China and would like to see some other John Carpenter movie (not that it has anything to do with christmas).

I always liked the Seinfeld christmas episodes because of that, they don't have all the cheesy feelings and everything. The Race and The Strike are both classics

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always feel kind of bad during new year. People are always positive and I'm not and that gives not only an outsider feeling but a feeling I'm not enjoying life as I should. Also, I always have this feeling of end of the year and what have you done.

The food and vacations are good, so it kind of evens out.

On movies, I just downloaded Escape from New York, because I really love Big Trouble in Little China and would like to see some other John Carpenter movie (not that it has anything to do with christmas).

I always liked the Seinfeld christmas episodes because of that, they don't have all the cheesy feelings and everything. The Race and The Strike are both classics
You're not alone! That's how I feel too :hug: I don't feel like reflecting back on my year nor do I want to think about any goals for the following year :|

Seinfeld Christmas episodes are a great idea. Their anti-sentimentality would actually be quite fitting :yeah:

·
Registered
57,316 Posts
wheres home alone?

love that classic

·
Registered
57,316 Posts
Do you celebrate christmas?
no, its just like any other day for me, well sort of, its one of my close friend bday so we celebrate her bday

i was in the Church of the Annunciation Yesterday in Nazareth, it's the farthest Christmas I've ever come across
Full of tourists but I managed to take a lot of pictures

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Never really had any big Christmas traditions in my family. I started to ignore the holiday when I was old enough to be somewhere else. I think I totally skipped a few Christmases during high school years and did ecstasy with some friends instead. I think that kind of down feeling about Christmas was very apparent already back then. I don't think we really enjoyed doing drugs, but that was one alternative back then.

I think one big downside for people that do not really celebrate Christmas, but live in the Western world is that there are limited options for entertainment during those days and also limited amount of friends available to do stuff with. It kinda feels like time stops during Christmas. I think the very first time I felt alone in this world was during Christmas when my best friends at the time had to leave the country for a week.

I don't watch any Christmas related movies, because I've had enough of those from my younger years. Instead I'm watching a show called Animal Kingdom which is about a criminal family from the beaches of California.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5574490/

I do like some Christmas music though. Once in a while.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
i hate the lack of sport events over xmas!
There's some NBA, NHL, NFL and a few bigger soccer leagues, but overall I have to agree. That's one big bummer of this time of the year.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
107,316 Posts
There's some NBA, NHL, NFL and a few bigger soccer leagues, but overall I have to agree. That's one big bummer of this time of the year.
In Germany we have nothing, just the 4 Hills tournament in ski jumping starting a few days after Xmas.

Boxing Day from the UK is nice to watch, but german league goes into Winterbreak

1 - 20 of 97 Posts