Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every few years we have a bunch of teenage phenoms who break through on the tour... in the late 90's, the spice girls (hingis, venus, serena, anna) all came along at around the same time.... now we have ivanovic, golovin, vaidisova.... who are the current 10-12 years olds who are gonna be the next teen phenoms? anyone with any insight....

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
if ivanovic, golovin, vaidisova are phenoms, then Nastya Pavlyuchenkova is the next one. She won AO GS (Juniors) at the age 14.

·
Administrator
12,191 Posts
Ayumi Morita

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
oh i just realized that you mentioned 10-12 y/o girls. i don't know them but i heard Daria Sharapova was already hyped :tape:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Michelle Larcher de Brito :)

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Haresh said:
Every few years we have a bunch of teenage phenoms who break through on the tour... in the late 90's, the spice girls (hingis, venus, serena, anna) all came along at around the same time.... now we have ivanovic, golovin, vaidisova.... who are the current 10-12 years olds who are gonna be the next teen phenoms? anyone with any insight....
I think you use the word "phenom" quite loosely. You call greats like the Williams sisters and Martina phenoms, and then deteriorate the power of the word for Ivanovic and Golovin?

i hate to say this... but, golovin is far from a "phenom." She hasn't done anything spectacular yet. Does she even have a WTA title? Anyway, I am not trying to be mean, 'cause I like her a lot-- :hearts:, but she really hasn't had "phenom-enal" results

Ivanovic, I haven't followed closely. But she didn't do anything amazing at 16 or 17. She will be 19 soon, and she is still climbing--building her resume. I don't think she's a "phenom."

Sharapova has been the only teen "phenom..." and Kuznetsova... Remember her? Not Ivanovic and Golovin.

And I hate to say this, but Vaidisova looks to be the only one with "phenom" potential right now. Girl is on a roll and she has sheer determination. She has already won several tournaments, she is STILL 16. Maybe she will pull a surprise Grand Slam at 17 just like Masha. Now that would be phenomenal, but, I hope that doesn't happen. :p I hate to admit it, but she rocks.

·
Banned
649 Posts
Haresh said:
I use to call them Anna, Hingis, Serena, and Venus the four divas of tennis. For some reason those four were different from the girls today, they had something special that made the world focus on them, something that Maria and the other girls don’t have today. I don’t think we will ever see that again.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Sandra.P said:
Michelle Larcher de Brito :)
Yes! She's had remarkable results for only 12 years old. QF's of a huge 16's tournament? Wins over girls old enough to compete on the tour... She could be huge.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
tennisjay said:
I use to call them Anna, Hingis, Serena, and Venus the four divas of tennis. For some reason those four were different from the girls today, they had something special that made the world focus on them, something that Maria and the other girls don’t have today. I don’t think we will ever see that again.
What made those four so interesting was that they were all so different, yet they had very similar attitudes towards the media. They were four of the most publicized players, both because of physical attributes and because they were great players.

There was the Hingis-Kournikova publicity rivalry, but they still played amazing doubles together. There was the sister act, the question over which of them would be #1 first, which of them would win a slam first, which was the better player. There was the stylistic differences in their doubles rivalry: the weak, serve-less doubles of Kournikova and Hingis that employed dropshots and volleying at its best, and the Williams' sisters remarkable doubles play. In my opinion, they are both better as a team than on their own. And of course the constant media questions: would Kournikova ever win a title (no), would Hingis be able to compete with the best in the world (sort of), would Venus ever break through (eventually), would Serena get out of Venus' shadow (eventually)...? One of the best times for tennis, in my opinion.

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
Morita :smooch:

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Haresh said:

ahmm golovin, vaidisova and iva are really not even close to being called phenoms.

need to use that word wisely

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I just checked on Michelle Larcher de Brito's record, and it's impressive. She won the Portuguese 12 and under championships at 9 years old, she won the 16 and under Edie Herr (!!!) at 12 years old, she won three 18 and under tournaments at 12 and 13 years old.

She's only 13 and she competes on the 18 and under circuit. Talk about phenom in the making.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts