Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never understood all the hype about Amellie's grass court skills. To me, her game was never well suited for grass. Yes, she did have a slice backhand and good volleys---but most people overlook her EXTREME forehand grip which does not work well on grass at all. Sure enoug, her results on grass speak for themselves:

2000 Wimbledon
1st round LEON GARCIA, GALA 47 L 4-6 6-3 7-5 :tape:

2001 Wimbledon
R32 H2H (31) TANASUGARN, TAMARINE THA 6-4 6-4 :rolleyes:

2002 S'HERTOGENBOSCH
Q DANIILIDOU, ELENI GRE 51 L 6-4 6-4 :angel:

2002 Wimbledon
Semis H2H (2) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 2 L 6-2 6-1

(beat no top names except for Capriati, struggled against Benesova)

2003 S'HERTOGENBOSCH
R16 H2H RITTNER, BARBARA GER 102 L 6-7(1) 6-0 7-5 :lol:

2004 Eastborne
S H2H (W) HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK 54 L 4-6 6-4 6-4

2004 Wimbledon
S H2H (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 10 L 6-7(4) 7-5 6-4

(Beat no top 10 players to get to that point. Strugged against No. 11 SUAREZ.

Eastbourne 2005
R16 H2H (Q) DOUCHEVINA, VERA RUS 54 L 6-4 6-4 :tape:

Wimbledon 2005
S H2H (1) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 1 L 6-7(5) 7-6(4)

6-4 (only top 10 player beat was Myskina at number 10, then Elena L. and 3 girls in the 100s).

2006 Eastbourne
1st round lost to Dechy. :tape: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: kyk710

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
people think because she can serve and volley that she is a great grass courter, but just because she can serve and volley doesn't mean she is good on grass :lol:

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Mary Pierce lost in 1r in 2000 the week before Roland Garros

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow, interesting......Amelie has all the tools to be a great champion, she just never seems to put it together for whatever reasons.

·
Registered
52,354 Posts
Yes what an overrated grass court player indeed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
That says more about Amélie than her grasscourt skills, the fact is she plays well at the big W, 3 SF appearences in her last 3 visits losing twice in 3 tight sets to great crass court players.
Maybe she doesn't give a toss for the warmup tournments before Wimbledon and is just there to use the practice courts.

·
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy.
45,592 Posts
Everytime I've seen Amélie playing on grass i've always wondered why she stayed that much behind the baseline, she could have won so many points going to the net, and she kept making all these tactics mistake... She definitely has a game suited to grass to me, but she doesn't seem to have the good attitude when she plays on it (at leats this is based on the matches I've seen, against Serena and Venus if I remember correctly, she might have had a mental block against those one, not daring to go to the net.. who knows... anyway, staying behind the baseline seemed not to be the good option has she lost both matches...)

·
Registered
24,237 Posts
well i don't think anybody's pegging her to win it, but she's had some really solid results and a lot of losses. let's overlook the warmups, she's been far better when it really counts.

·
Banned
9,812 Posts
ClaudiaZ said:
Mary Pierce lost in 1r in 2000 the week before Roland Garros
and Ame lost 1r before AO this year ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Didn't she say after she lost at the French that they shouldn't expect much cause clay isn't her best surface.....that's bullcrap.......that's her excuse for being a crappy choker

·
Banned
4,149 Posts
is true, grass is the worst amélie s surface according to the statistics :sad:

·
Banned
9,861 Posts
Pagliacci said:
I never understood all the hype about Amellie's grass court skills. To me, her game was never well suited for grass. Yes, she did have a slice backhand and good volleys---but most people overlook her EXTREME forehand grip which does not work well on grass at all. Sure enoug, her results on grass speak for themselves:

2000 Wimbledon
1st round LEON GARCIA, GALA 47 L 4-6 6-3 7-5 :tape:

2001 Wimbledon
R32 H2H (31) TANASUGARN, TAMARINE THA 6-4 6-4 :rolleyes:

2002 S'HERTOGENBOSCH
Q DANIILIDOU, ELENI GRE 51 L 6-4 6-4 :angel:

2002 Wimbledon
Semis H2H (2) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 2 L 6-2 6-1

(beat no top names except for Capriati, struggled against Benesova)

2003 S'HERTOGENBOSCH
R16 H2H RITTNER, BARBARA GER 102 L 6-7(1) 6-0 7-5 :lol:

2004 Eastborne
S H2H (W) HANTUCHOVA, DANIELA SVK 54 L 4-6 6-4 6-4

2004 Wimbledon
S H2H (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA USA 10 L 6-7(4) 7-5 6-4

(Beat no top 10 players to get to that point. Strugged against No. 11 SUAREZ.

Eastbourne 2005
R16 H2H (Q) DOUCHEVINA, VERA RUS 54 L 6-4 6-4 :tape:

Wimbledon 2005
S H2H (1) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY USA 1 L 6-7(5) 7-6(4)

6-4 (only top 10 player beat was Myskina at number 10, then Elena L. and 3 girls in the 100s).

2006 Eastbourne
1st round lost to Dechy. :tape: :lol: :lol:
AMEN!!!! :worship: :worship:

So I'm not the only one who thinks this way... And Amelie only beat Myskina at Wimbledon2005, ElenaD was beaten by Myskina ;)

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
She's lost some real close sets to Linds/Serena at Wimby. Can you imagine if she moved up from the baseline etc? She seems to be getting better as well (more in the nerves department than anything else).

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
gabrielle said:
is true, grass is the worst amélie s surface according to the statistics :sad:
:rolleyes: She has only played Wimbedon 7 times and reached the SF 3 times, the last 3 times, as for the warm up events could someone name the last player who actually won a warm up event and then went on to win Wimbledon, Jana, Martina most of the recent champs have not even bothered to show up a warm up.
I already said in a thread before Eastbourne, I hope she does not win it, cause it seems to mean the kiss of death for Wimbledon.

·
Registered
52,354 Posts
Shenanigans said:
:rolleyes: She has only played Wimbedon 7 times and reached the SF 3 times, the last 3 times, as for the warm up events could someone name the last player who actually won a warm up event and then went on to win Wimbledon, Jana, Martina most of the recent champs have not even bothered to show up a warm up.
I already said in a thread before Eastbourne, I hope she does not win it, cause it seems to mean the kiss of death for Wimbledon.
I think gabrielle is a momo fan :secret:

·
Banned
9,861 Posts
Shenanigans said:
It's a joke,I mean you're kidding!
The thread starter gave us the stats..what players did she beat to reach the semies???Capriati and Myskina,that's all!!Nothing in seven participations...So sometimes results don't mean nothing,it's the way we obtain the result which means the more,it's indeniable...Being fan doesn't implies being blind and biased

·
Banned
9,861 Posts
vejh said:
She's lost some real close sets to Linds/Serena at Wimby. Can you imagine if she moved up from the baseline etc? She seems to be getting better as well (more in the nerves department than anything else).
When you play against this kind of player,it's definitely hard to reach the net,especially when your groundstrokes are not that penetrating ;)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
MrKnowItAll said:
It's a joke,I mean you're kidding!
The thread starter gave us the stats..what players did she beat to reach the semies???Capriati and Myskina,that's all!!Nothing in seven participations...So sometimes results don't mean nothing,it's the way we obtain the result which means the more,it's indeniable...Being fan doesn't implies being blind and biased
Let's get this straight I do not give a toss for the mickey mouse tournements before Wimbledon, if you want to look at Wimbledon and look at who she has beaten then you have to look at who she has lost to since 2002 Serena and Lindsay both former Wimbledon champions in 2 of the matches being a set and a break up, stats don't tell the whole truth.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts