Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which has prevented the 2020 Mutua Madrid Open from taking place from 1 to 10 May and forced the ATP and WTA to postpone all activity on their tours until July 13, the organisers of the only ATP Masters 1000 and WTA Premier Mandatory event in Europe have announced the creation of the Mutua Madrid Open Virtual Pro, an innovative tournament that will be a virtual replica of the tennis competition, with the world’s biggest tennis stars squaring off from their own homes. The news means that the biggest ATP and WTA stars will clash in the Manolo Santana Stadium, recreated in exquisite detail in the Tennis World Tour videogame, while swapping their racquets for a game controller.
From the WTA website:

So, this is a thing now.

·
Registered
113,405 Posts
The mandatories are owned by billionaires, so they can afford to skip a year.
I see Golf majors, besides UK, setting their dates. Masters in November. I expect French & US Open will try to play with no crowds. USO probably not in NYC this year

·
Registered
21,932 Posts
The mandatories are owned by billionaires, so they can afford to skip a year.
I see Golf majors, besides UK, setting their dates. Masters in November. I expect French & US Open will try to play with no crowds. USO probably not in NYC this year
Don't speak on something you know nothing about, especially with someone who works at the tournament on the forum.

Nevertheless, I already have contacted them about not holding the tournament. It's just not practical this year even if we passed the worst of it by then.

On the topic, NASCAR has done this and Bubba Wallace quit his race at Bristol in "rage-quitting" and lost his sponsorship because of it.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Indycars and Formula 1 have already had a couple of virtual races.

I wonder what WTA players will be involved, I doubt any have ever played Tennis World Tour before.
Why do you say that? Just because they're busy with tournaments doesn't mean that they don't have down time - especially the top players who only seem to come out once or twice a month.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Indycars and Formula 1 have already had a couple of virtual races.

Why do you say that? Just because they're busy with tournaments doesn't mean that they don't have down time - especially the top players who only seem to come out once or twice a month.
I can't really think of any female tennis player who has referenced that they play video games in interviews or on social media. Even those that do wouldn't play Tennis World Tour, a game that isn't that well known, with terrible reviews that doesn't seem to bare any resemblance to actual tennis. AO tennis would have been better, but unlike other sports there isn't a stand out mainstream tennis game.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Well, sorry for being retarded, but HOW the fuck can you play tennis "online"???

Car racing- I understand you can create some super- realistic simulator, with same control as in real vehicle, but tennis???

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I can't really think of any female tennis player who has referenced that they play video games in interviews or on social media. Even those that do wouldn't play Tennis World Tour, a game that isn't that well known, with terrible reviews that doesn't seem to bare any resemblance to actual tennis. AO tennis would have been better, but unlike other sports there isn't a stand out mainstream tennis game.
Not since the last Top Spin release. It's been nearly ten years, but I'm sure the physics and gameplay are still better than in anything that's been released since.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
As I'm not the slightest bit interested in video games or e-sports I have no idea what's out there for tennis. It's just that most of the generation in their twenties and thirties have grown up with X-box and/or Playstation, so I didn't think it would be that much of a stretch to find players who DO play video games - and that there would be a tennis one somewhere in the mix.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well, sorry for being retarded, but HOW the fuck can you play tennis "online"???

Car racing- I understand you can create some super- realistic simulator, with same control as in real vehicle, but tennis???
You'd be surprised. The Top Spin series ( and PC only Tennis Elbow) did really good jobs in recreating the feeling. Timing, positioning, stick control and button sensitivity all play a part.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wonder what WTA players will be involved, I doubt any have ever played Tennis World Tour before.
Well there's only 6 WTA in the game....so a 16 player event is going to be hard to imagine. Unless they expect Barty, Osaka and they likes to be using Wozniacki and Kerber. LOL, maybe Andreescu can use Kerber in the event.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Video game console??? Venus is going to be at a huge disadvantage having been born in the 1800s. 😭
I can low key see Venus very into gaming.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts