Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 251 Posts

·
25,603 Posts
I haven't been on this site for a while, and now I fear I may be on injured reserve (hey, does that mean a permanent seat next to Tracy? :tape: :eek:) My injury was the result of laughing so hard, especially with that last answer!! Ah, but it was a nice, fun laugh!
Hiya Dennis. Injured reserve or not-Blasters new or old are always welcome.

and that bit by BCP was FUNNY!:lol:

If getting injured laughing lands me next to Tracy Awesome sign me up!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
This was BY FAR the funniest, by the glorious Nathalie Tauziat

2005 FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIPS is proud to present

GETTING TO KNOW : Nathalie Tauziat, Tennis Magazine's "Whiner of the Week" winner for a record 39 weeks.

Sponsored by: 'Le Notice' - "France's 49th biggest free daily newspaper since 2004!"; 'Preparation H' - "Europe's favourite piles and haemorrhoids treatment" and Jim Levee

Favourite color:
Titian Red - I am often described in le press as une titian haired goddess

Favourite Meal:
I have a wide taste, I like a lot of food although at least I know to stop at food. I have seen Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova regularly eat rugs.

Career Highlight:
My legendaire run to le Wimbledon finale bien sur. Sadly le British Intelligence would not allow me to win. After Jana's defeat to Hingis in le finale the year before le Duchess of Kent told Jana "You will win Wimbledon one day". Little did I know she made sure of it. Le night before le finale I was bundled into a car, driven to MI5 headquarters to be told they had received orders handed down from le Queen of Angleterre herself that I must lose this finale on les wishes of le Duchess of Kent or otherwise 'be taken care of the way the Kennedys took care of people in the 1960s in America'. I sacrificed Wimbledon, but was une heroine in France and adopted by les Brits as one of their own. Other highlights for me include having head to heads leads over Tracy Austin, Pam Howard Shriver-Shapiro-Lazenby-Burns (How quickly we all forget Pam's sham marriage to George Burns. That girl loves those oldies), Justine Henin-Hardenne, Mima Jausovec, Virginia Ruzici, Iva Majoli and Lucie Ahl. I also have wins over GS champs Conchita Martinez, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Navratilova, Jana Novotna, Mary Pierce, Gabriela Sabatini, Kim Clijsters and of course Venus and Serena Williams. Apart from Steffi et Monica who else has beaten les Williams?! Ah? I don't care if you were retired 10 years before they debuted......

Greatest tour memories :
Watching Pam hit une forehand winner :eek: Oui, it did happen in Birmingham 1985 and poor Ann Jones had une stroke dans les stands when she saw it; Slapping Helena Sukova for no reason; Slapping Claudia Kohde Kilsch for no reason; Watching Chris trying to juggle John Lloyd, Jimmy Connors, Burt Reynolds and Andy Mills at le same time and slapping les Maleevas for no reason.

Worst tour memories:
Fending off advances from Rita Mae Brown, Pam and Billie Jean for years; watching Wendy comfort binge in les lockers; watching Zina comfort purge in les lockers; agreeing to accept a ride to le stadium in Chicago avec Regina Marsikova; that 14 hour coma I slipped into when talking to Gaby Sabatini; le ill-advised employment in 1993 of Jim Pierce as my coach

Toughest opponent in the tournament?
Rita Mae Brown. We all know she is unstable. Remember she shot Martina with une gun :eek:

Dark Horse?
I am le dark horse of this event, I have le same hind measurements as Seabiscuit.

Who, other than yourself, do you see winning?
Everyone but Shriver. Do you need une explanation? :lol:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Despite most of the pro Evert nonsense here, the fact is that Tracy was an overachiever. I am pretty sure she was not a big or tall as Evert or Martina. Therefore, much of her power was forced, which caused injuries. Still, she had big wins over Chris and Martina and a few good years on tour. If Manlikova had half of Tracy's brain power, she could have been the real threat to Chris and Martina in winning slams. She did fairly well but should have done much more. Your defense of Chris here sounds like the rabid Graf fans who blame all her losses on either family problems or injuries, which I find Very annoying.
umm.. that was one of the LEAST pro-Evert posts I ever made.. lol… She was barely mentioned in my post in fact..except that 5 of Tracy's wins over Chris did in fact come in a tiny window of time. There's not much to debate over that.

The post was about Tracy, and whether her game was adaptable to surfaces she failed to excel in. Do you have any information that would shed light on any of those observations, why she never made major final outside of hard court? Your "defense" of Tracy was that she was skinny… that's helpful to the conversation.

·
Registered
576 Posts
This was BY FAR the funniest, by the glorious Nathalie Tauziat

2005 FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIPS is proud to present

GETTING TO KNOW : Nathalie Tauziat, Tennis Magazine's "Whiner of the Week" winner for a record 39 weeks.

Sponsored by: 'Le Notice' - "France's 49th biggest free daily newspaper since 2004!"; 'Preparation H' - "Europe's favourite piles and haemorrhoids treatment" and Jim Levee

Favourite color:
Titian Red - I am often described in le press as une titian haired goddess

Favourite Meal:
I have a wide taste, I like a lot of food although at least I know to stop at food. I have seen Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova regularly eat rugs.

Career Highlight:
My legendaire run to le Wimbledon finale bien sur. Sadly le British Intelligence would not allow me to win. After Jana's defeat to Hingis in le finale the year before le Duchess of Kent told Jana "You will win Wimbledon one day". Little did I know she made sure of it. Le night before le finale I was bundled into a car, driven to MI5 headquarters to be told they had received orders handed down from le Queen of Angleterre herself that I must lose this finale on les wishes of le Duchess of Kent or otherwise 'be taken care of the way the Kennedys took care of people in the 1960s in America'. I sacrificed Wimbledon, but was une heroine in France and adopted by les Brits as one of their own. Other highlights for me include having head to heads leads over Tracy Austin, Pam Howard Shriver-Shapiro-Lazenby-Burns (How quickly we all forget Pam's sham marriage to George Burns. That girl loves those oldies), Justine Henin-Hardenne, Mima Jausovec, Virginia Ruzici, Iva Majoli and Lucie Ahl. I also have wins over GS champs Conchita Martinez, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Lindsay Davenport, Martina Navratilova, Jana Novotna, Mary Pierce, Gabriela Sabatini, Kim Clijsters and of course Venus and Serena Williams. Apart from Steffi et Monica who else has beaten les Williams?! Ah? I don't care if you were retired 10 years before they debuted......

Greatest tour memories :
Watching Pam hit une forehand winner :eek: Oui, it did happen in Birmingham 1985 and poor Ann Jones had une stroke dans les stands when she saw it; Slapping Helena Sukova for no reason; Slapping Claudia Kohde Kilsch for no reason; Watching Chris trying to juggle John Lloyd, Jimmy Connors, Burt Reynolds and Andy Mills at le same time and slapping les Maleevas for no reason.

Worst tour memories:
Fending off advances from Rita Mae Brown, Pam and Billie Jean for years; watching Wendy comfort binge in les lockers; watching Zina comfort purge in les lockers; agreeing to accept a ride to le stadium in Chicago avec Regina Marsikova; that 14 hour coma I slipped into when talking to Gaby Sabatini; le ill-advised employment in 1993 of Jim Pierce as my coach

Toughest opponent in the tournament?
Rita Mae Brown. We all know she is unstable. Remember she shot Martina with une gun :eek:

Dark Horse?
I am le dark horse of this event, I have le same hind measurements as Seabiscuit.

Who, other than yourself, do you see winning?
Everyone but Shriver. Do you need une explanation? :lol:
Stop posting this stuff!! I just recovered from my "injury" after reading the "Getting to Know Tracy Austin" interview. And now reading about "La Toes" (as I've always dismissively referred to her as) was another priceless gem!

Now inquiring minds wanna know, will there be (or have I already missed) a "Getting to Know Pam Shriver-Lazygirl" interview?! :devil:

·
Registered
9,514 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
i checked her results and i wonder why she didn't play RG when she was on the top form? Anyone knows?
Between 1978 and 1980 she was still in high school. She had final exams in late May/early June and couldn't make the trip overseas.
In 1981 she started suffering from a back injury and skipped the first four months of the season. She came back in May but lost early at the German open in Berlin. She decided she needed a few more weeks off before rejoining the tour in decent shape. She skipped the French Open again and came back during the grass court season. As a result she only played in Paris in 1982 and 1983.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
A friend of mine was running a charity event that Tracy was the main attraction at (running clinics etal). Apparently at the last minute Tracy decided she wanted to leave early and my friend tried to take care of everything as best she could. My friend and her husband drove Tracy to the airport so she could catch her flight and Tracy spent the whole ride complaining about everything. When they got to the airport my friend's husband was so pissed off at her that he made her get her own bags.

·
Registered
9,514 Posts
Even in defeat, Austin return grand
Bud Collins, Globe Staff
The Boston Globe
January 21, 1994

MELBOURNE -- The 1970s did an encore yesterday afternoon, dancing across an asphalt stage at Flinders Park in the lithe person of Tracy Austin.

Was it a ghost dance? Seemed so to 3,000 curious onlookers who filled Court 2 at the Australian Open, the first major tennis engagement she has played in 11 years.

Good show -- but it closed after three sets. A second-round generation gasp -- yesterday's champ against one of today's contenders -- it went to the latter, a 23-year-old German named Sabine Hack, 6-1, 5-7, 6-2. Eras clashed, the '90s and the '70s colliding, and the sleek apparition called Austin got bashed.

If it was a back-to-the-future bid by Tracy, it also meant back to the drawing board. Half a lifetime ago, 16-year-old Tracy Anne Austin (for the last nine months Mrs. Scott Holt) was the greenest of all US tennis champions, beating Chris Evert for the title in 1979. She repeated in 1981, over Martina Navratilova, but was gone by 21. Sciatic nerve problems.

Brief comebacks, though courageous, amounted to little. In 1989, feeling good again, she believed she could genuinely return -- then a horrendous auto accident took her out, very nearly forever.

"I thought I'd never walk again, but they grafted part of a hip bone to my crushed left knee. It took a lot of rehab.

"For years, because I was a success so young" -- US Open quarterfinalist at 14 -- "people wrote that I was a case of burnout."

A child playing with matches -- too many of them too soon? But mention burnout to her and you are rewarded with a scorching gaze.

"It wasn't burnout. It was injuries. I've never been burned out. And I've never loved playing more than I do now."

Now, the year 1994, is Part II of the Tracy Austin saga. "Part I was up to 21. Ten years ago. Now I'm ready for Part II."

But was it merely a self-indulgent historical footnote? Austin became the lone Hall of Famer (canonized at Newport, R.I., two years ago) to crank up again and reappear in a major championship. Bjorn Borg and Guillermo Vilas tried but weren't up to it. Jim Palmer, the underwear salesman who also pitched for the Orioles, took his post-Cooperstown shot and missed.

"This isn't Jim Palmer stuff," grinned Tracy, who came in ranked No. 115, having reemerged to win six of 12 matches in 1993. "I'm back. I'm positive. I'm bitten by the bug again -- and it's fun. I have the same old feeling of being disappointed because I lost today.

"But it's not the same as in Part I. Different expectations. Then I was aiming for No. 1. Now it's just to be up high, and I can. I'm playing a full schedule: the French, Wimbledon, US Open. The works. And not just this year."

She had beaten No. 59 Elna Reinach for openers, but Sabine Hack was a player of another hue: No. 25, a superfit Teutonic goddess who could double as one of the Valkyrie.

No longer the 89-pound wonder of 1977, clad in pinafore, bearing wooden racket, Tracy retains a flowing blonde ponytail. At 120, she's a trim, self-confident and attractive woman, better conditioned than any number of her colleagues.

At the outset yesterday, however, she seemed Alice in Woodnerland, punching the same flat strokes as though still armed with timber.

"The old style," said Hack dismissively, recalling, "I watched her on TV when I was a little girl."

All the while, Hack was utilizing '90s racket technology to the utmost in the abominable Alpine style -- exaggerated loopers, topspin peaks. Reaching for the moon just to connect with the towering bounders, Tracy must have stretched each arm by 6 inches.

"Everything seemed 6 feet high. It took a while."

The first set vanished fast, Tracy struggling to scrounge 11 points. As his wife lagged, 1-6, 1-4, in not much more than a half-hour, rookie groom Scott Holt fretted "that she'd be embarrassed."

But the '70s had some shelf life. Tracy's extraordinary footwork kicked in to make the ghost dance hazardous for Hack. Her accurate shotmaking of bygone days began to score in the tedious double-digit baseline exchanges as she won six of seven games to pull even. There was no embarrassment in the firefight of almost two hours.

"I'm not the old style," Tracy huffed at Hack's remarks. "I just need more time, more work."

"This will be hard on our marriage," said handsome roomie Holt, a West Coast real estate guy. "I'm not going to travel with her much. But I'm with her because she needs this. She loves it too much to give up."

Little Miss 1970s is playing catch-up, feeling disadvantaged because she was deprived of the '80s. Can there be life in the '90s after Hall of Fame immortality? Will she who received the presidential phone call from Jimmy Carter presently get one from Bill Clinton?

It's a nice dream. Tracy acts as though she can hear the ring, and that it won't be a wrong number.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
This is such a GREAT thread! Having been been the [GASP!] 40th anniversary of Tracy’s remarkable USO title at age 16, I thought I’d stroll down memory lane. Good times!

·
25,603 Posts
Thanks for the bump up Mark.

One of my treasured pieces of tennis memorabilia is a signed photo of Tracy Austin with the 1981 US Open trophy. Martina is in the background weeping. Then there are all people with the hideous clothes from that era.

Priceless.

Austin was pleasant when I briefly spoke to her at the French Open one year.

All things considered she seems remarkably normal.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Oh wow, Rollo! Can you snap a pic of that? It sounds amazing. When did you go to the French Open? I was lucky to be there in 2000 and scored scalped tickets for the Pierce beatdown of Chucky! It was a thrill!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Austin never won the French. And would have never won, even if she competed from 1979-1981. But the big question is why didn't she play those years? She wasn't injured. In 1979 she played in the Italian, but didn't play in France. She skipped the European clay season in 1980. And the following year she played the German Open, losing in QF, and didn't play the French.

If Austin were confident enough in her abilities, she would have played there. But she didn't. There is no way Evert loses to Austin in the French. And that assumes Tracy makes it to even meet Chris. Too many good European clay courters waiting to pounce on Miss Hard Courts.

Austin may have had a 9-8 career H2H over Evert. But think, if the two played as often on clay as Federer and Nadal have, just what do you think the Evert-Austin H2H would have been?
And if they played more indoors, what do you think the Evert-Austin H2H would have been? Haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fed Cup is not the same as tournaments.

And I ask again, why didn't Austin play the French in 19791 or 1980? I don't believe it was injuries.

1981? Perhaps it was injuries. The German open was only her first event of the year.

Of course it's all supposition. But I will always maintain: AIN'T no way Austin would have beaten Evert at Roland Garros, or even on the green clay at Hilton Head or Amelia Island. No way. Why? Evert grew up on clay. Austin didn't. Chris had all the experience and skills to succeed on clay (125 in a row; 64 in a row). Tracy did not. Evert had a much more fluid and flexible game, which you need on clay to succeed.

And looking at it from the big picture. Being in shape, knowing how to train, how to maximize your physicality in the game of tennis is a skill. Some players have done it better than others. Luck is an issue too. Austin was injury prone from the time she was young. Evert was not.

There are too many "what ifs" out there for so many players. It's always easy to play the "what if" game for your favorite, because things didn't go their way. Some like to extrapolate out from a single result, meaning, well if it happened once, it was always going to happen the same way. (A classic example was Chris Evert's 6-0,6-0 demolition of Navratilova in 1981 Amelia Island. Who would have guessed that 3 years later in the very same tournament, Navratilova would win her first match ever over Evert on clay, and lose a mere 2 games in the process?) Tennis is an interesting sport. Results are never a given. But I tell you one thing. The closest there ever was to a give in tennis is Chris Evert's success on clay! And I do wish Chris and Tracy had played more often on clay. The H2H no doubt would have been in Evert's favor.
She went back to school, according to her book. haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
The much maligned Miss Austin? Who is bad mouthing Tracy? And is it undeserved ?

OK I'll get right to it. I wasn't a fan of Tracy. How dare she challenge Queen Chris? But I'll start of with something nice. While I despised her and her hyper-twitching, finger nail blowing, face-in-the-towel antics, as a TV commentator I felt she was vastly superior to Chris Evert in the TV booth. Always felt she was a very astute commentator who was not only able to relate to the competitors, but to average fans as well. She dissected the game, the player's strokes, and was easily able to offer analysis as to why players would miss or have difficulty with certain shots. She was often on the money with her analysis.

Now as for her playing career. No, she was not number in 1981. Yes, she got a lot out of that little frame of hers. She could hit the ball on a dime, perhaps better than anyone ever, even better than Christine Marie Evert. And she was a fierce competitor who never gave up. And that counted for a lot in women's tennis. I think she was raised to feel like she was a champion. And she had no fear. But I have always said it's easier getting to the top than staying there. And a quick analysis of Tracy's 1980 season, and her fall from #1 reveals, to me, she was never destined to dominate women's tennis. And she would never be able to permanently solve the dynamic duo of Chris and Martina.

Tracy was a close #2 to Martina for 1979. And with her win in the 1980 Avon Championships she officially overtook Martina as #1. She maintained that ranking until the end of the year. But beginning with Wimbledon, where as the #1 seed and favorite - yes she was the favorite even though Martina was 2 time champion, but struggling with her form. Chris had taken time off so no one really considered her the favorite. Austin's Eastbourne win boosted her status as the one to win the title. And yet she was stymied by Evonne Goolagong. Goolagong exposed Austin's weaknesses in that match, moving her around, taking pace off the ball, mixing her play up. Even dropping a love set (Evonne could still do her walkabouts and win matches) Evonne held off Austin. I challenge anyone who thinks Austin would have beaten Evert, even if Tracy got by Evonne. Another fight for another day.

In the summer, after winning San Diego again, Austin stumbled to 15 year old Andrea Jaeger for the first time in Mahwah. And that loss had repercussions for the US Open and rest of the year. Suddenly, the pressure of #1, being defending US Open champion, and having to face a younger, fearless opponent who refused to give up shook Austin's confidence a bit. Even though Tracy advanced to the Open semis without the loss of a set, I recall she didn't win with quite the ease she did earlier int he year. Pressure was beginning to mount. And waiting in the semis was Evert. After winning the first 4 games, Tracy won only 4 more. And it seemed like she was lucky to win those 4. Chris also exposed Tracy's weaknesses, by mixing up the play, being willing to attack Austin at opportune times, and not allow Tracy any real comfort on her serve. After watching the match recently I am surprised Tracy was ever able to beat Chris again.

Despite her protestations, Tracy was not the #1 player for 1980. Sadly injuries kept her out of the game for 5 months in early 1981. She did well to win Eastbourne, which to me was actually a big upset win. Her back to back triumphs over Navratilva and Evert in Canada were another surprise, but signalled she was not done yet. But let's face it folks. She was lucky to win the 1981 US Open. Probably the worst choke of Martina's career. To Austin's credit she never gave up. And the swirling winds in Flushing favored her. Austin followed that up with a win in Atlanta, which had only one other top 20 player in the field. Losses to Barker, Navratilova, and Shriver in the fall didn't help her cause.

I always felt that the first Avon event of 1982, in which Austin was crushed by Anne Smith was the perfect validation that Tracy was definitely not #1 for 1981. And it was effectively the end of her membership of the elite three of the women's game.

I do despise the 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' show. And the 'what if" follies to. We can all speculate and write our own ending. We only know what actually happened.

But I for one don't believe Austin was physically capable of keeping up with Navratilova and Evert. Martina was the one who physically reformed herself, circa 1981. And Chris followed suit. Neither were motivated by Austin, but by their own desires. Austin had kinks in her game that were bigger than Chris or Martina's flaws. The serve is the most glaring one. Once Martina went with her Yonex racquet, and more of the women used graphite, you could see how that squeaky little Tracy serve was going to remain under constant attack. And Tracy had a hitch in her serve that was always going to prevent her from really having it be anything more than a point-starter. Tracy had good feet, and she moved fairly well. But she wasn't as quick as Evert. And when you got her on the run, she was never able to recover as well as some other players. Let's face it, she wasn't truly athletic. But she did work hard at the game. Someone mentioned her size, and compared her to Henin. There is absolutely no valid comparison at all! Henin is a pure athlete. Austin was not. Finally, as others have noted, Austin's ground strokes were a bit mechanical. She could hit the ball on a dime. Which is why she did well on indoor surfaces. With no wind to contend with, her strokes could be lethal. But get her out of her comfort zone, or if she were a bit off, Austin's game suffered.

I don't think there is any way at all she could have won the French Open, ever. Not even in 1979. Ian - you mentioned how Evert struggled against Fromholtz in Madrid and Madruga in Paris. Chris still won those matches. Fromholtz was #5 in the world and had recently beat the newly married Evert. Madruga was a tough cookie on clay. But Tracy never had the comfort or experience of playing on slow red European clay. Over the long haul, her weaknesses would have been exposed by any number of players in 1979-1981, had she played. And the fact she never did play indicated to me she didn't believe she could win. Getting to the quarters in 1982 and 1983 were actually big accomplishments for her.

A Wimbledon or Australian title were out of the question for Austin. In the Navratilova era, along with Chris and even Hana (who did win 2 Aussies but no Wimbledons), there is simply no way Austin could have broken through. The only way to an Aussie title would have been had the surface changed to Rebound Ace while she was still young and healthy. Austin might have had some success in events like Indian Wells or Miami, but seeing how Navratiova dominated in 1983-1985, and how close Evert was to Martina, and far ahead of everyone else, I find it unfathomable Austin could have knocked both off again to win another US Open title.

As far as her H2H against Navratilova, I felt Tracy did pretty well to win as many matches as she did, including some big wins indoors. I believe they only played once on clay, in 1983, when Martina won in the finals of the FCC.

And for her 9-8 H2H over Evert. Yup it's true. And undeniable fact, she had a head to head advantage. But I do want to dissect the numbers. They met first at Wimbledon in June 1977, and last played in December 1982. 17 times over 5-1/2 years. True that during that period both missed significant time from the game. And 9 of their 17 matches were played between March 1979 and January 1980, with 5 of those on indoor carpet. More than half of their matches were contested in a period when Austin was on the ascendancy and Evert on the decline. In fact I would say mentally 1979 was the worst year of Evert's career until she wound down her career. Getting married certainly didn't help Chris either. And while some would want to toss out Evert's early wins: OK her 1977 Wimbledon and 1978 FCC wins, and perhaps even the 1978 US Open win (although Austin was #6 by then), still from the 1980 US Open to the end of their career, Chris won 3 of 5 matches.

They split their two clay meetings, although Austin won the more significant, the streak busting Rome semi win in 1979. They only met once on grass, their first ever match at Wimbledon. On hard courts Evert held a 4-2 advantage. It was indoors where Tracy really beat up on Chris, winning 6 of 8 career matches. To me, Evert's 6-3 advantage outdoors proves her game was more flexible on all surfaces, and she more than had the ability to beat Tracy when the elements came into play. The structure of the women's tour was such that there were many more indoor events back then. Austin did not compete on clay very often (she did play FCC in 1977-1980, but Chris missed it the 2 times Tracy won). Tracy never played Amelia Island, and rarely ever played on European clay. Personally, I don't envision a circumstance in which Tracy was ever going to beat Chris on grass.

So while you can't argue the numbers, I do feel the H2H is a bit misleading. 17 matches in 5-1/2 years is not a lot. Navratilova and Austin played almost twice as many matches.

Tracy was a great, no doubt about it. A two-time teen US Open champion. Who knows what might have happened? ! ? I for one think the tally of majors won by Evert, Navratilova, Mandlikova, Graf, and Tracy would have been exactly what they are today regardless of Austin's injuries. That's just my 3-1/2 cents worth!
Tracy played so poorly on clay, she doesn't have the confidence. But she broke Evert's streak.. that was very very lucky of her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agree. It would have been the year where Evert bounced Austin from the 4th round, by the embarrassing score of 6-0,6-1. After blitzing Austin for the 12th straight time in straight sets, Chris wonders aloud how she could have ever lost to Austin, way back in the early 1980s. ;) ?
Didn't Evert say the other way around? She said how can I ever beat Tracy? I guess you didn't see her interview videos. Haha . 9-8.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I don’t know if Tracy would have ever beaten Chris on grass, but who knows. We never will. At the time I thought she could, and I didn’t think Tracy avoided clay because she didn’t feel she could win the French. I honestly believe she thought her whole life was in front of her and she had oodles of years to compete in Paris, so why not finish finals each year in high school and actually go to the grad ceremony? Had the FO been played in July when school was out, I am sure she would have been there 1979-1981.
But by 1982, it was simply too late. Those oodles of years were somehow gone. I really disagree that Tracy would not have affected Martina and Chris’s slam totals had she remained healthy like she appeared in late summer/fall 1981. But just weeks later in early 1982, she was never the same again. I don’t even know how she stretched Hana to three sets twice that year or took a set off Martina in the FCC ‘83. It was such a shame, and with Hana’s fall I was so bored in 1983-84. Thank god for Steffi and Gaby (and finally Hana!) in 1985. Tracy was sorely missed.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think a lack of confidence was ever an issue for Tracy until 1982...I think she thought she should and would beat everyone she ever faced.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Agreed. Even when Martina was killing her in that amazing 81 USO final, she looked the same, beginning to end. She just twitched/fussed more towards the end. She knew at any moment Martina might crumble and she would remain the same - a ferocious competitor til the very last point. Only teenage Monica compared. As the game and physicality of the players increased with Martina becoming so fit in 1982, I don’t think Tracy’s serve would‘ve past muster, but her mind/iron will would’ve fought through. Who knows? Kathy Horvath beat seemingly invincible Martina during her glory years and Tracy took a set off her a few months before, the last time they played. You just never know what she Would have done, how she would have affected The Martina and Chris Show 1982-86 had she been healthy. I don’t however think she would have affected Graf that much, or even at all...but look at the problems Steffi had with tiny Amanda Coetzer! Or Moonballing La’Ranchxa!

201 - 220 of 251 Posts