Tennis Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SHANGHAI (AFP) - Wimbledon champion Serena Williams is due to headline the Shanghai Polo Open tennis tournament in September but recent knee surgery has cast doubts on whether she will be fit to play.

Tournament organisers said the current world number one would be the top draw in China's largest city, competing for 585,000 dollars in prize money if she recovers from surgery last week.

The operation to repair a partially torn tendon on her left knee has forced Williams to withdraw from this month's US Open, where she was to defend her title.

Shanghai tournament organiser Michael Luevano expressed the hope that Williams would recover in time to play in China.

"She is a woman of incredible physical resilience," he was quoted as saying by the China Daily.

"She is without doubt the most wanted player of every tournament in the world."

Earlier reports in Chinese newpapers said organisers were shelling out 300,000 dollars in apperance fees to Williams.

·
Banned
3,052 Posts
"She is without doubt the most wanted player of every tournament in the world."
Go Anna!

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
the money players get just to play a tournament is in fact something that nobody ever talks about. does anyone know more about this? For example I am sure it's a large part of Anna K's income

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
katrientje said:
the money players get just to play a tournament is in fact something that nobody ever talks about. does anyone know more about this? For example I am sure it's a large part of Anna K's income
All I know that appearance fees are not officially allowed on the WTA tour, so that might explain why we hear so little about it. I know the ATP does allow it though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.