Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's about time we find a way to organize and collate career records and results for some of our past greats. All this work on Court, Bueno, King, Wade, etc is just floating around in the Blast. IMO it needs to be better organized so people can appreciate and add to our knowledge.

With that in mind I want your imput and ideas on

1. what sort of format would work best
2. who to include

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
My ideas on a format:

1. Make it a "sticky" thread like the IMPORTANT database thread.

2. Include all the career results we can find. Perhaps we can do this by providing a summary of certain records/results THEN providing a link to the detailed results thread in the Blast?

For who to include I had 3 thoughts.

1. Alphabetical order by best known name.
2. Taking the top 100 women in history only......where do we make the cutoff at?
Should we include say-Evert and Navratilova?? Do we stop around the mid 80's when you can get results for the women?

Or include the best 100 as long as they've retired?

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just a preliminary list.......

Atkinson, Juliet
Aussem,Cilly
Austin, Tracy
Bolton, Nancye
Brough, Louise
Browne, Mary
Bueno, Maria
Chambers, Dorothea Lambert
Connolly, Maureen
Court, Margaret
Dod, Lottie
duPont, Margaret
Durr, Francoise
Evert, Chris
Fry, Shirley
Gibson, Althea
Godfree, Kitty
Goolagong, Evonne
Hard, Darlene
Hart, Doris
Hillyard, Blanche
Jacobs, Helen
Jedrejowska, Jadwiga
Jones, Ann
Jones, Marion
King, Billie Jean
Kormoczy, Suzy
Lenglen, Suzanne
Lizana, Anita
Mallory, Molla
Marble, Alice
Mathieu, Simone
Mortimer, Angela
Navratilova, Martina
Richey, Nancy
Round, Dorothy
Ryan, Eliazabeth
Sperling, Hilde
Sutton, May
Wade, Virginia
Watson, Maud
Wightman, Hazel
Wills, Helen

42 so far......

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Alice Marble

It would probably only be practical to have one "sticky" thread then subthreads for individual players in alphabetical order.

Perhaps head each record by their Slam stats.

I would imagine it will be extremely difficult to get many of the statistics on a lot of these players. I recently looked through some back copies of the London Times for the 60s and was disappointed at the paucity of results. AndyT has made the same observation to me.

You could start by moving up those threads which have alreeady been compiled. Margaret Court is almost 100% complete and Nancy Richey is pretty full while you are currently working on Maria Bueno.

What happened to the 3(?) other careers that were being compiled this year? I'm not sure I have seen anything posted on them.

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alice Marble

It would probably only be practical to have one "sticky" thread then subthreads for individual players in alphabetical order.

Agreed

I like this idea. With maybe a list of career titles afterwards?
I'm thinking at least one good picture too.

I would imagine it will be extremely difficult to get many of the statistics on a lot of these players. I recently looked through some back copies of the London Times for the 60s and was disappointed at the paucity of results. AndyT has made the same observation to me.

You're right, but at the very least we can comppile slam records and tournament wins-our database is getting more complete by the day. This would always be a work in progress

You could start by moving up those threads which have alreeady been compiled. Margaret Court is almost 100% complete and Nancy Richey is pretty full while you are currently working on Maria Bueno.

I think if we link within the threads it won't even be necessary to move them up.

Example: Evonne Goolagong

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=105066

This was last updated in April, but by posting the link it would quickly be available!

What happened to the 3(?) other careers that were being compiled this year? I'm not sure I have seen anything posted on them.

I'll update Richey-we got most of Goolagong-I need to get Billie Jean started!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Rollo, could you made Maureen Connolly career records, just like you've made Wade at this http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=105066.
I wonder how for someone GREAT like Connolly is hardly mention on this forum, even in BFTP! Is it because her pre-Open era or her short career?
BTW, I love BFTP, and I really appreciate all your hard work to make all these stuff.
GREAT WORK from GREAT TENNIS FAN.

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the praise Hardiansf and welcome to the Blast!:bounce:

IMO you hit it right on the head about Mo-her she was like a comet that shot across the sky in a flash.

She has had a thread or two about her. I'll bump them up if i can find them...

P. S. I updated the 1992 Ausssie Open.

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darlene Hard.

No Wimbledon but an achievement to win both French and US.Today 06:03 PM
I was a ding-dong for forgetting her Chris. She's added:)

I'm wondering if we can also "link" threads about players to this project. HardiansF's question about Mo Connolly and the Darlene Hard controversy thread prompted this thought. That way we don't have to go scrambling through all those old threads!

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks for all the praise Hardiansf and welcome to the Blast!:bounce:

IMO you hit it right on the head about Mo-her she was like a comet that shot across the sky in a flash.

She has had a thread or two about her. I'll bump them up if i can find them...

P. S. I updated the 1992 Ausssie Open.
Rollo:worship: Thank you so much!!! When I opened BFTP, I feel like :eek: . I see so many thread about Connolly :hearts: . Thanks a lot!!! :bounce:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rollo said:
Just a preliminary list.......

Atkinson, Juliet
Aussem,Cilly
Austin, Tracy
Bolton, Nancye
Brough, Louise
Browne, Mary
Bueno, Maria
Chambers, Dorothea Lambert
Connolly, Maureen
Court, Margaret
Dod, Lottie
duPont, Margaret
Durr, Francoise
Evert, Chris
Fry, Shirley
Gibson, Althea
Godfree, Kitty
Goolagong, Evonne
Hard, Darlene
Hart, Doris
Hillyard, Blanche
Jacobs, Helen
Jedrejowska, Jadwiga
Jones, Ann
Jones, Marion
King, Billie Jean
Kormoczy, Suzy
Lenglen, Suzanne
Lizana, Anita
Mallory, Molla
Marble, Alice
Mathieu, Simone
Mortimer, Angela
Navratilova, Martina
Richey, Nancy
Round, Dorothy
Ryan, Eliazabeth
Sperling, Hilde
Sutton, May
Wade, Virginia
Watson, Maud
Wightman, Hazel
Wills, Helen

42 so far......
Does the ITF database have Mandlikova's complete record? If not, can we add Mandlikova, Hana to this list?

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Samn :)

Hana's in there-as a good part of her career came before 1982. Like you said, the ITF results on her won't be complete.

Right now I'm leaning towards including even post 1982 women like Graf, Seles,
Sabatini, etc. Any thoughts from fellow Blasters?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Rollo said:

I can start doing BJK. I got a few results while doing Smith-Court and have all the USLTA Yearbooks pre-open. Who was doing Connolly?

I like the idea of putting player threads with results within them and links. Players like Evert and Navratilova, Graf already have websites devoted to them with all their results so we can just have links to them.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rollo said:
Right now I'm leaning towards including even post 1982 women like Graf, Seles, Sabatini, etc. Any thoughts from fellow Blasters?
The ITF database has Graf's complete WTA tour record (I think), but it might be useful to compile the results that aren't available. For instance, I know that Graf played the Gunze event a few times in the late 80s, but the results of these matches are not available in the ITF database because it wasn't an official tournament.

(Does anyone know the final score of the first ever Graf versus Novotna match in the European Juniors? :) )

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Rollo said:
Alice Marble

Agreed

I like this idea. With maybe a list of career titles afterwards?
I'm thinking at least one good picture too.

You're right, but at the very least we can comppile slam records and tournament wins-our database is getting more complete by the day. This would always be a work in progress

I think if we link within the threads it won't even be necessary to move them up.

Example: Evonne Goolagong

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=105066

This was last updated in April, but by posting the link it would quickly be available!

My tuppence worth!

We already have a couple of elements here.

Chris' careful collation of annual h2h stats of the leading players for the blasters ranking lists (59-74) can be used as the basis for career h2h against leading contemporaries. That period, complemented by the readily available info for post 74 covers Bueno, King, Court, Durr, Richey, Turner, Jones, Wade, Evert, Goolagong, Navratilova and takes in a reasonable slice of the careers of Hard and Mortimer.

Similarly, for titles won, we have the database, to be crosschecked against Chris' yearly summaries of titles won.

Grand slam records exist on the blast as well.

I'd agree with the need for an action picture and it would be nice if there were a short description of the player's style, strengths and weaknesses (maybe a quote or two from peers/contemporaries) .

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A month into this I can report we've made some progress. It's only a skeleton so far,
but all the Blast threads related to individual players are now linked into the alphabetical list-so it won't be necessary to go scampering all over the Blast in search of old threads:)

I'm also in the process of finding pictures for every woman. If you have pictures and/or links please contribute.

If anyone wants to 'adopt' a star and contribute they'll get credit

Have a look and let me know what you think-all suggestions are welcome.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=186600

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Rollo said:
A month into this I can report we've made some progress. It's only a skeleton so far,
but all the Blast threads related to individual players are now linked into the alphabetical list-so it won't be necessary to go scampering all over the Blast in search of old threads:)

I'm also in the process of finding pictures for every woman. If you have pictures and/or links please contribute.

May I 'adopt' Steffi Graf? I might be able to dig up a few pictures from my archives.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Rollo said:

And I'd be happy to contribute my Margaret Court pics...

In fact, anybody here is welcome to use any of the photos I posted these past few months. Just let me know.

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May I 'adopt' Steffi Graf? I might be able to dig up a few pictures from my archives.
You sure can Samm!:) I'm going to limit pics for each player INSIDE her post (I'm thinking 3 right now-maybe a combo of action and off-court?) BUT you could ALWAYS start say a "Steffi Graf picture thread" then we could link it.

If you start a thread for exhibition results also I can link that. and I'm sure you know the best web sites for Steffi. I need her official site if it still exists.

Just PM me at any time.

Chris Whiteside has an excellent idea of completely doing one player to use as a template. Steffi would be a great choice.

·
25,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I'd be happy to contribute my Margaret Court pics...
In fact, anybody here is welcome to use any of the photos I posted these past few months. Just let me know.
Merci Jeff-I'm going to use a lot of your pics, especially for some of the more obscure ladies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts