Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
26,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a thread like this is more than appropriate to honour this great player, especially as his haters are out in full force today. Rep me negative if you want. :p

I think it's great to see a fresh and unexpected Face who is everything but a clay-courter in the semis of Roland Garros. I mean, who would have expected this ? I would find semifinals with only Spaniards and South Americans - the usual suspects - rather boring.
And that after he blew a two-sets lead today. No one expected him to take the 5th set, but he did it, and in great style.
OK, I see why some find him annoying - fist-pumps etc. But it's better than showing no emotions at all, and he definitely does it in a unique style. I don't think he takes himself too seriously. And comparing him to ugly Stepanek is really an offense.
Besides, I saw him in interviews and he seems to be a nice guy.

GO VERKERK AND REACH THE FINAL !!!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I honestly thought he would not be a factor after those few strong showing at the beginning of the year.A player who lost pretty easily to a Polish young guy 2 years ago in a Challenger.Look at him now-RG semifinalist.And Polish guys are nowhere to be seen.

Normally I would be glad that he made the semis,but this season is just so bad with so many withdrawals and injuries that I want the top guns to do well in bigger events,so that tennis draws more fans

but after thinking about for few seconds I'll say go Marty V to the finals of RG.Anyone is better than that boring Coria...zzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
All hail Martin Verkerk, tennis player and gurner extraordinaire - if there was one player you could put in a gurning contest, he would be it. Did anyone see the way his features contorted after he hit that amazing forehand pass at 6-6 against Moya? Good God, the eyes were positively skeletal in the way they bulged out of their sockets.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts

·
Registered
13,635 Posts

:worship:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Actually, I don't mind who wins that semi. Coria's obviously the favourite and I'd have no problem with him going through to the final, he'll have earnt it if he does. But at the same time, I'd like Verkerk to carry on his improbable run for as long as possible. It'll certainly be a difficult adjustment for Coria after the long rallies against Agassi, and when you see the players that Verkerk has beaten on clay, you realise he has plenty of ability from the baseline as well as on the serve.

·
26,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG, :worship: irma for posting that pic. :D
You wouldn't believe this is a real pic if you didn't see the match. :eek:

·
Registered
365 Posts
That Martin has some crazy azz kick serve. At one point that kick went so high that the 1.91 m tall Moya almost could not reach it. Coria is so small, would look quite funny if he wasn't even able to reach that kick serve :rolleyes:
That said Coria should do much better than Moya in the passing shot department :rolleyes: especially when you have break point in the fith set and have a chance to serve for the match :fiery: :mad: :fiery: PFFFFFFFFFFF

·
Registered
33,292 Posts
irma said:

:worship:
This picture is really in every newspaper I saw today! Usually I would cheer for Verkerk, because he's a Dutchman, but I prefer coria now.

·
26,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
It's not my style of tennis and I don't like the guy, but I admire him for doing what he did. I have the feeling this guy knows NO stress at all.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts