Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main difference between Venus and Serena at the moment seems to be their serve. Serena's serve tends to get her out of trouble whereas Venus' serve tends to get her into trouble in matches. 13 DF's!!! After watching Venus' match this afternoon, I thought both players played an exciting and excellent match. At times it was if they were two gladiators out there fighting against each other. There were some tremendous rallies and points and you could tell both players really wanted that match. I haven't seen too many of Jankovic's matches, but I definitely see her as a Top 3 player. I like everything about her game and tenacity and grit. I think the weakest part of her game is her serve. But I think that will come in time.

Venus' ground game today was pretty solid, but she needs to take care of her serve better. Jankovic's serve also had its down moments today as well, but it held up where it mattered... in the tiebreak. I'm not too worried about Venus, it seems that her mind is finally back in tennis and I'm beginning to see that drive and determination again. I think working with Zina Garrison next week will help Venus' game (i.e. serve), and while todays loss may sting a bit, I also think Venus' game is on course for peaking right when it needs to and that's heading into RG and Wimbledon.

Discuss.

·
Registered
12,384 Posts
I was thinking the same thing in the second set. When Venus broke at love like 3 times in a row, and kept getting broken back I kep thinking if it was Serena she would have held and won the match. It was wierd, she would play clean and agressive tennis to get the break and then when she was up she would play UE after UE to get broken. Maybe it was just nerves at the idea of being ahead. Especially @ 3-4, Serena would not have hit 3 df to lose the game. And don't give me that ohhh.. stop comparing Venus to Serena bs. They are sisters and have shared the big stage together and because that people will always compare them to each other. Venus needs to go to the tennis store and buy a second serve and consistency.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
The main difference between Venus and Serena at the moment seems to be their serve. Serena's serve tends to get her out of trouble whereas Venus' serve tends to get her into trouble in matches. 13 DF's!!! After watching Venus' match this afternoon, I thought both players played an exciting and excellent match. At times it was if they were two gladiators out there fighting against each other. There were some tremendous rallies and points and you could tell both players really wanted that match. I haven't seen too many of Jankovic's matches, but I definitely see her as a Top 3 player. I like everything about her game and tenacity and grit. I think the weakest part of her game is her serve. But I think that will come in time.

Venus' ground game today was pretty solid, but she needs to take care of her serve better. Jankovic's serve also had its down moments today as well, but it held up where it mattered... in the tiebreak. I'm not too worried about Venus, it seems that her mind is finally back in tennis and I'm beginning to see that drive and determination again. I think working with Zina Garrison next week will help Venus' game (i.e. serve), and while todays loss may sting a bit, I also think Venus' game is on course for peaking right when it needs to and that's heading into RG and Wimbledon.

Discuss.
i agree with everything u said...apart from the jelena jankovic possibly being a top 3 player...hell no..top ten yes...top 3 no....there are too many better players...

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
i agree with everything u said...apart from the jelena jankovic possibly being a top 3 player...hell no..top ten yes...top 3 no....there are too many better players...
Well, Jankovic plays a lot of tennis, so it wouldn't be a stretch if she reaches top 3 soon. The commentators said earlier that this is her 10th tournament so far this year. I believe she'll be ranked #7 next week.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Well, Jankovic plays a lot of tennis, so it wouldn't be a stretch if she reaches top 3 soon. The commentators said earlier that this is her 10th tournament so far this year. I believe she'll be ranked #7 next week.
I agree and just look at who's ahead of her.
Martina Hingis has tons of points to defend at Rome and she definately doesn't seem prepared to defend all of them.

Kim Clijsters has tons of points to defend at the French Open and she's not even defending them.
Kuznetsova has tons to points to defend at the French Open and she doesn't seem to be prepared.
Mauresmo has tons of points to defend at Wimbledon.

Jankovic actually has a very good shot of being in the top 3, if she can keep up with Serena which she seems to be doing, by the end of Wimbledon.

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
yeh but still if Serena, Venus, Clijsters or henin played 10 tournies, i'd bet my house that they'd be in the top 3 right now if jankovic cant do it after playing more tournies than venus and serena play in a year, she never will...im telling you..she'll burn out..

but back to the williamses...i think the serve is a factor but also i think mentally, Serena will shout at herself after playing a bad point and then shake it off but i've noticed although venus looked calm, i think shes beating herself up in the inside and since she doesnt let it out...she keeps on shouting at herself inside and it effects her tennis...remember the pumped up emotional venus of 05 she plays her best when she doesnt compress her emotions, that is the only thing stopping vee from becoming the joint best player ever...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
what about the biggest difference of all:

THEY'RE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, WITH TWO DIFFERENT GAMES!!

just because they're sisters doesn't mean much of anything else. how does one player have anything to do with how the other player plays?

Reactions: StarDuvallGrant

·
Registered
391 Posts
Venus has a tendency to over-hit.
Quite why is a matter for debate, but she hits too long far too often and that's where she gets sloppy.
Serena is more consistent. It's as simple as that.

·
Golden State Of Mind
5,649 Posts

just because they're sisters doesn't mean much of anything else. how does one player have anything to do with how the other player plays?
:worship:

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
honestly venus has more in common with masha and vaidisova than with serena. only thing serena and venus both have is speed and both can turn defense to offense instantly. most of other parts of her game are like vaidisova and sharapovas, imo.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts

:worship:

·
Registered
13,541 Posts

Took the words right out of my mouth :worship:

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
What's the main difference between Venus and Nancy? :)

Reactions: Reuchlin

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
The difference is the serve 13 DOUBLE FAULTS I mean thats unacceptable at this level. The problem for Venus is that its so COMMON for her. Isn't she embarassed? Where is girlfriend's pride? Serena HATES LOSING. Venus is different I feel she can sometimes be INDIFFERENT about losing. Also sometimes Venus tries to act tough with the press. Serena is an extrovert she will CRY if she has a panful loss. When Serena lost to Jill Craybas she was furious at herself and she was in TEARS. When Serena lost to Sybille Bammer Serena was so UPSET she cried very hard. In fact, I remember reading Oracene couldn't contact Serena because she went for a jog she was so shocked and HORRIFIED by that loss that it MOTIVATED her to work harder.
Serena just WANTS IT MORE. Sorry to say but that's the truth. Venus to me she's INDIFFERENT about tennis. I don't see the FIRE the INTENSITY that she once had. The consistency is gone also.

I think Venus needs to let her emotions out more. Serena will SWEAR. At the Australian Open during her quaterfinal against Peer Serena wasn't playing well. Serena said "hit the fucking ball Serena." Serena admonished herself and I thought it was good to see Serena show that she cared and she really wanted it. I am not saying Venus should swear but I think Venus needs to pump herself up a LOT MORE.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There can't be too much in the way of consistency if everytime she comes back there's some tinkering with her strokes. To me, right now every single shot of hers looks different from 2000-02: serve (1st and 2nd), forehand, volleys, even the backhand (hate the open stance version). The different look to her stroking could have a lot to do with nerves, less than ideal footwork, and/or her occasional lack of commitment to the shot she should hit. They may also have to do with improvements and adjustments meant to address changes in the game or injury prevention. But this stuff won't resolve itself for a good while.

I'll bite on the Sister Comparison. The discerning eye clearly sees the differences in their games. I'd also like to add that Venus had always needed a longer wind up on her way to being in-form. And her best seasons usually start off with some bad losses, ones arguably worse than these. See 2000, 2001, even 2002, and of course 2005. It's been that way for her since her start in 1994, so I'm not sure why fans expect anything different this year.

Reactions: Reuchlin

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
honestly venus has more in common with masha and vaidisova than with serena.
Agreed.

...The discerning eye clearly sees the differences in their games. I'd also like to add that Venus had always needed a longer wind up on her way to being in-form. And her best seasons usually start off with some bad losses, ones arguably worse than these. See 2000, 2001, even 2002, and of course 2005. It's been that way for her since her start in 1994, so I'm not sure why fans expect anything different this year.
While I would argue that it doesn't even take the "discerning eye," I agree with the rest of this post. People tend to forget what Typical sucessful Venus season looks like.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts