Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I compare last few years to the 90 or early 00 and level is really bad.

Vondrousova, Strycova would be bagel but almost everyone in 90s in 1/2 of any Grand Slam.

Strycova played 95% to the middle yeasterday - it was painful to watch.

Muguruza doesn't know how to change the direction from cross court to DTL and she has 2 grand slam titles.

Serena Williams isn't even close to her best form and probably she win another GS.

What do you think has to change so that we would have great matches as we did?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Serena and Simona played just exceptionally well, they did not allow their opponent to get any rhythm or feel a game for a bit. Majority of the tour would fail in the same result against those performances.

Low level of the match for me is when both players play badly no matter score is equal ... and it was not this case ...

·
Registered
112,682 Posts
The women have it very fortunate. The men have to play 3 of 5 and the best 3 are so great that its hard to get to the big money.
Women have draws fall apart all the time, play 2 of 3 and a lot of majors just arent interesting except for 3 or 4 matches, like Pliskova's loss here
Just be happy they can be paid so well for such garbage, like what Svitolina did yesterday

·
Registered
872 Posts
don't think players of the 90's or early 00's would be as good today as they were then, because if they played today they'd be too busy messing around on social media wondering what everyone is saying/doing/thinking as well as trying to project their own image to please sponsors, it's a massive distraction for players imo, Bouchard prime example, I think she really would be much higher up the rankings otherwise, same as Kygios in the mens'.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I thought Barbie had a chance if she could move Serena around a bit early on and fluster and get her all angry, but Serena started sharp and never let Barbie get going... and it was a bludgeoning.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I compare last few years to the 90 or early 00 and level is really bad.

Vondrousova, Strycova would be bagel but almost everyone in 90s in 1/2 of any Grand Slam.
You are just confusing 'low level' with lose scorelines (that just happened now )

<A>re saying that tennis is the only sport that didn't evolved over the last decade and a half and all the other sports had multiple barriers broke?

·
La nuit je mens
86,884 Posts
don't think players of the 90's or early 00's would be as good today as they were then, because if they played today they'd be too busy messing around on social media wondering what everyone is saying/doing/thinking as well as trying to project their own image to please sponsors, it's a massive distraction for players imo, Bouchard prime example, I think she really would be much higher up the rankings otherwise, same as Kygios in the mens'.
Kyrgios is not distracted by trying to look good for sponsors :spit:

·
Registered
872 Posts
Kyrgios is not distracted by trying to look good for sponsors :spit:
He's distracted by reading all the negative stuff on his twitter and replying to it, seems a very sensitive soul.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Awful topic, again. Go to ATP, WTA is stacked and balanced, ATP is a disaster!
Another useless poster who probably knows about tennis as much as google tells them. His point is that you'd expect the grand slams to BRING out a new level of fire and drive for these players......we want to see knock down, drag out battles to win these things, not 61 62 63 61 62 63 drubbings again and again. We get that you need to respect a beat down, some players are simply better than the rest, but there's a certain hope and expectation you'd want in the final stages of the majors.

Bar RG, we have been relatively lucky the last year and a half with the GS Finals. Woz-Halep went 3, Halep-Sloane went 3, Osaka-Kvitova went 3, Osaka-Serena delivered with drama.

·
Registered
112,682 Posts
I think its the huge amount of money. It gets in people's heads
The big 3 and Serena can focus and the money doesnt stop them
WTF is going on with most of both tours. Madison Keys lost to Rodina and Hercog at the last 2 Wimbledons. Osaka loses every match to Putintseva in 2 sets. Look how bad Konta, Strycova and Svitolina looked in their losses.
Its really strange, but the money affects how you view everything. It affects your focus and your willingness to fight hard all the time. You never see the big 3 losing early almost anywhere.
I'll give Pliskova and Barty credit, they went down fighting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts