Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"[Jennifer Capriati] ponited out that she still had work to do with such names as Amélie Mauresmo and "the Belgium sisters"

Presumably she meant Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin who are both from Belgium and are friends but are not known to be related. Forehands may be Capriati's forte but, sadly, the English language is not. "

Ah! So mean, poor Jen ... was just a slip of the tongue ... ;)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Thats a bit stupid form the newspapers i can see why people call them the belgian sisters no shame in that!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
That was mean.Its ok Jenn,their just jealous...:rolleyes: :p

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
She had that mental slip because we know what sisters she has on her mind all of the time. :p

TR :cool:

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
LOL! I'm still laughing at that!:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
What does Jennifer's remark have to do with the English language? It's not as if she made some kind of gramatical mistake. I am sure she called them sisters not because she thinks they are related but because they are both Belgian, are in the top ten, and are very close. After all, Belgium is a small country and for a country of that size to have two superstar tennis players is an acheivement. How silly of them... they should pick on Jenn's overabundant use of words like "umm..., like... etc. BTW, I want to see a Venus/Jenn final so GO JENNIFER!

·
♥ All-American Reject
19,132 Posts
at least jennifer didn't let herself slip up this time and said "belgian girls" instead of "belgian sisters" when pam and cliff d. were interviewing her after her match on ESPN2 ;)

·
20,610 Posts
ermmm... lol....

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
i'm fine with her calling kim and justine sisters actually
it's only metaphorical

just cut down on those ummmss... and you knows
that should be fine

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't understand what the fuss is all about !
Actually, I kind of like the "Belgium sisters" metaphor.

That makes a lot of sisters trusting the top of the WTA ranking list.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't see this as cruel. I read this newspaper a couple of days ago when it came out, and I thought it was a funny comment (by the journalist - Alix Ramsay, who's actually a damn good writer) in response to a frankly stupid comment by Capriati. It *was* ungrammatical ('Belgian sisters', not 'Belgium sisters') and if I'd been Kim or Justine, I'd be mildly pissed off.

·
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sartrista7 - It was just a slip up, there's no need to take the piss. Anyways, she's got it right now, but I think this quote will have quite a white to go until it's forgotten about by the press though

·
Registered
802 Posts
Why would the "Belgian sisters" be pissed off ?:confused:

Is there something derogatory in that comment ?

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
easy said:
just cut down on those ummmss... and you knows
that should be fine
:p

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
malaye - it's not derogatory, but it does show Jenn hasn't been giving much thought to Kim and Justine. Considering they're two of her biggest rivals, they could feel that she's taking them lightly.

I know it's just a slip-up, but it's a pretty dumb one. A lot of the times when Jenn speaks I think she's not actually thinking about the words.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is so ridiculous, but here goes. If you read Jennifer's interview from yesterday, you will see that even one of the reporters refers to Clijsters and Henin as the "Belgian Sisters." No one is taking anyone lightly or otherwise. It's just a metaphor. BTW: GO JENN!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I heard her say it when she was being interviewed on TV, and the comment was said in such a fleeting moment, that I'm surprised that people (well, I guess we should include journalists to be kind ;)) would even bother to pick up on it. She was taking her time answering questions and she was listing people whom she thought were dangerous in her half of the draw. Just prior, Billie Jean King asked her the question she was responding to and one of the last things Billie Jean said included the words "Williams sisters." So I guess when Jen was answering her question, Billie Jean's last words were being replayed in her mind or something. It's not worth implying that she's dumb for this. So silly of the London Times to blow this out of proportion. They should really look at themselves before saying something like that. It amazes me the lengths that some journalists will go to to "create" a story. In this scenario, it's definitely "nit-picking."

·
Registered
663 Posts
Geez....just a metaphor and figure of speech...no big deal.

BUT...we all know the London newspapers are best used to wipe your.....

·
1,793 Posts
Of course newspapers (even tennis related pieces) never make mistakes. They always get the nationalities and the players names correct at all times. Not!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts