Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I heard this show is good and I'm planning to binge watch Season 1 this weekend. :D

·
Registered
27,384 Posts
Decided fans of the best show on TV HBO's The Leftovers should have their own thread. Opinions about last Sunday's penultimate episode?
Liv Tyler surprised me positively, I didn't think she had that in her. She was scary.

That said, I think the series peaked with the previous episode, International Assassin.
Last episode was good but I don't get Tom following her like a puppy. It really made no sense to me. I know you have to take a leap of faith with this series sometimes but still.

Probably when I finish it, I'll start over. This is the kind of series you can watch several times and get different details/interpretations.

This is the most exciting new series in many years for me :yeah:

·
Registered
47,654 Posts
Liv Tyler surprised me positively, I didn't think she had that in her. She was scary.

That said, I think the series peaked with the previous episode, International Assassin.
Last episode was good but I don't get Tom following her like a puppy. It really made no sense to me. I know you have to take a leap of faith with this series sometimes but still.

Probably when I finish it, I'll start over. This is the kind of series you can watch several times and get different details/interpretations.

This is the most exciting new series in many years for me :yeah:
This is the second season.

Love the way this season has played out, masterfully planned and executed by the creators. For me, Kevin's little Purgatory episode was one of the weaker entries. It was certainly interesting but not sure that was worth 1 whole hour of a 10 hour show. Things are perfectly poised for the season finale, hope it doesn't disappoint. So far, it has easily been the best Fall 2015 show. :)

·
Registered
31,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For me this season peaked with the priest Matt and his wife episode, that one really got under my skin. They gave him the best episode in the first season as well, IMHO, when he was trying to save his church. That said, no episode this year has disappointed me. The penultimate one had to be prosaic. After many poetic, implicit, mysterious episodes they had to prep for the finale and it's very a propos when Meg says to the GRs "Don't give me any more of that mysterious bullshit". This happens a lot I find with the best shows, they do a brilliant succession of edgy installments, but then are forced to take care of business plot-wise and put some wheels in motion so there can be some kind of resolution in the finale. On that slightly awkward, heavy-handed level I still found it pretty chilling. Liv Tyler's lack of affect is probably a function of her not being that great an actor, but it really did the trick here because she sounded so casual but menacing.

·
Registered
47,654 Posts
It was always going to be tough merging all of the storylines into one episode, even if they had an extra 15 minutes to work with. All in all, I think the finale did a pretty good job. I wasn't crazy about Kevin's little purgatory adventure the first time around and I thought it was downright stupid to have him go through it AGAIN in the finale. I felt those minutes could have been better spent with Jill/Laurie or pretty much any other group that got neglected in this episode. That's pretty much my only major qualm with it. I have a bad feeling about a season 3 renewal just because the rating are so fucking low, and I wouldn't be satisfied with this as a series finale.

Overall, B for the finale and A- for the season as a whole. :yeah:

·
Registered
31,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I liked it overall. I'm glad they didn't do the banal predictable thing by blowing up the bridge. It's not that kind of show and it would have been lame to have carried through with that. I agree Demosthenes that the purgatory hotel repetition seemed a little lazy and uninspired but it didn't bother me too much and I did like the idea of Kevin having to sing Simon & Garfunkel to "get back".

It wasn't the greatest episode of the season, but in a way it seemed to be rebelling against this convention of the finale having to be mind-blowing. It was quiet but had a good happy ending that didn't seem forced.

As for a 3rd season half of me wants more of this, there is nothing like the show and that there needs to be this kind of idiosyncrasy in the TV firmament. But on the other hand they wrapped it up quite nicely this season, Patti is gone, Kevin gets his family back, all of them, what story is there left to tell, I mean what impetus is left? I don't want an inferior regurgitation of previous themes, who wants to eat reheated Leftovers?

·
Registered
27,384 Posts
[SPOILERS] I liked it overall. I'm glad they didn't do the banal predictable thing by blowing up the bridge. It's not that kind of show and it would have been lame to have carried through with that. I agree Demosthenes that the purgatory hotel repetition seemed a little lazy and uninspired but it didn't bother me too much and I did like the idea of Kevin having to sing Simon & Garfunkel to "get back".

It wasn't the greatest episode of the season, but in a way it seemed to be rebelling against this convention of the finale having to be mind-blowing. It was quiet but had a good happy ending that didn't seem forced.

As for a 3rd season half of me wants more of this, that there is nothing like the show and that there needs to be this kind of idiosyncrasy in the TV firmament. But on the other hand they wrapped it up quite nicely this season, Patti is gone, Kevin gets his family back, all of them, what story is there left to tell, I mean what impetus is left? I don't want an inferior regurgitation of previous themes, who wants to eat reheated Leftovers?
I don't know. I agree with you that this worked well as a series finale (and I even cried a bit at the last scene -Spoiler- with Kevin seeing his whole family back at home) but on the other hand this is too good to never come back so I hope this is not the definite end

·
Registered
27,384 Posts
The Leftovers has been renewed for a third Season :cheer: :woohoo:

... Which will be the last though

“It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta and the extraordinary talent behind The Leftovers for its third and final season,” said HBO president Michael Lombardo in a statement. “This show has proven to be one of the most distinctive HBO series and we are extremely proud of its unrivaled originality, which has resulted in such a passionate following by our HBO viewers. We admire and fully support Damon’s artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season.”
http://tvline.com/2015/12/10/the-leftovers-season-3-renewed-hbo-final/

·
63,570 Posts
Just finished watching the last two episodes. Phenomenal! :worship:

We still have no fucking clue what was happening! :tears: Love it! I'm sure it will be explained everything next season especially it will be the last.

I must admit that I cried a bit at the last scene :lol:

Oh, and that Justin Theroux's arse! :drool: FUCK YES! I'd bottom for him :eek:h:

·
Registered
31,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
God I love this show so much :hearts:
When S3 finishes I'm totally bingewatching S1 to S3. Season 2 was glorious
I was going to watch S1 again, but truth be told it's a bit heavy-going, there is too much Guilty Remnant. The first season had fantastic episodes, of course, and it's mandatory if you haven't already seen it, but over-all it was just too grim for a re-watch. Season 2 got the balance right.

·
Registered
27,384 Posts
I was going to watch S1 again, but truth be told it's a bit heavy-going, there is too much Guilty Remnant. The first season had fantastic episodes, of course, and it's mandatory if you haven't already seen it, but over-all it was just too grim for a re-watch. Season 2 got the balance right.
I sorta agree. S2 is flawless but S1, while has great peaks, can get a bit tiring with the GR plot.
I still haven't rewatched it cause I wanted to do it all altogether

1 - 20 of 95 Posts