1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Elite Players- Barty, Osaka, Kvitova, Ka.Pliskova, Kerber and Halep
The Stars- Serena, Maria, Venus, Azarenka and Wozniacki
The Pretenders- Svitolina, Muguruza, Bertens and Stephens

That said, none of them truly have a current aura of invincibility and only really Barty, Osaka and Kvitova could be dominant players.

Barty is unproven, she's yet to play a top 10 player since her RG run began (hasn't beaten one since Miami)and she has yet to have a tight, close match that tests her plus she still has that reputation of getting tight. Time will tell
Osaka is an emotional head case who can give up quickly, without fight.
Kvitova still remains to be unconvincing in the majors and can be quite inconsistent in large patches of the season.
Ka.Pliskova can go down relatively easy in the big events.
Kerber puts in way too many telephoned performances plus she has a bad attitude without much fight when things don't go her way.
Halep is probably the most limited of this group and has a tendency to go down easily in majors as well. Doesn't have a go to skill/weapon like the others do.

Serena is beyond a part time player, her overall level of play isn't anywhere near the same and age/injuries seems to be a factor.
Sharapova can't stay healthy ,her body has been falling apart since 2014 and since the ban she has more pressure to perform.
Venus really hasn't been a factor for years, and bar 2017, has been consistently an 'average top player'. Age and injuries get in the way but lately 9/10 times against a top player she will be routined. Hasn't gotten close to a tour title since early 2016.
Azarenka has lost the belief/swag that lead her to dominance. The game and confidence are gone and she seems to be lost.
Wozniacki is the most limited here, the illness has stalled her but the true skill was never really there. Take away her consistency ( which is gone) and she's just an average counterpuncher that has a serious illness and off court distractions. She's more of a pretender.

Bertens is and will be a big time choker ( she's lost 3 matches this season from MP up), she can't handle constant pressure and she's yet to prove herself at the big stages.
Stephens has a terrible attitude and puts in waaaay too many subpar, lacking in effort performances. She needs to be called out.
Muguruza is the big bad wolf. She can huff and puff all day long but any resistance will blow her down.
Svitolina is the most limited in this group, and her game was never going to last in the current form. Even confident, she couldn't deliver in the majors.

·
Registered
117,226 Posts
I rhought Serena looked good today. I want to see how next week plays out to keep her out of elite. I think she might be in the top group who contend at majors.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Azarenka is not a star, she could walk down most high streets and not be recognised by anyone, maybe big in the tennis world/bubble, but she's hasn't got a reach/appeal that extends outside of the sport in anyway. Big in Belarus maybe.

It is amazing given how much money is involved in Tennis that it doesn't/hasn't attracted people too the sport who are better than the current crop who are all much of a muchness and shuffling about the odd slam between themselves. You'd think some new and a real superstar would have come alone and start to dominate but nobody has, whereas in the mens' game it's the big 3 consistently for the last 10+ years, throw in Murray as well who made 11 slam finals, gold medals, masters etc.

Needs a taller version on Henin to come along, someone of that calibre but with the necessary power game needed for today's game, to dominate at least.

·
Registered
117,226 Posts
Azarenka is not a star, she could walk down most high streets and not be recognised by anyone, maybe big in the tennis world/bubble, but she's hasn't got a reach/appeal that extends outside of the sport in anyway. Big in Belarus maybe.

It is amazing given how much money is involved in Tennis that it doesn't/hasn't attracted people too the sport who are better than the current crop who are all much of a muchness and shuffling about the odd slam between themselves. You'd think some new and a real superstar would have come alone and start to dominate but nobody has, whereas in the mens' game it's the big 3 consistently for the last 10+ years, throw in Murray as well who made 11 slam finals, gold medals, masters etc.

Needs a taller version on Henin to come along, someone of that calibre but with the necessary power game needed for today's game, to dominate at least.
It is amazing how much money is involved. I was thinking about how much Hercog lost when she df'd on match point. The difference between round of 32 and 16 is a nice cheque
All those players listed in the thread are multi-millionaires. No stars like the big 3 winning everything. Lots of money spread around. Last year Kasatkina made finals of Dubai & IW and made over a million for losing finals in 2 nonmajors

Reactions: crescentmoon

·
Registered
23,500 Posts
big bad garbs huffing and puffing tho... :lol:

·
Registered
23,500 Posts
Obviously someone who doesn't like the WTA and is making fun of the tour. Probably some crazed poster from Men's Tennis Forum, they are insufferable.
you know they say the same and worse about TF?

·
Banned
23,797 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As i said, it's not talking negatively on the tour...it's just the reality. Literally spot on about regarding Barty, Pliskova and Kvitova today.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
As i said, it's not talking negatively on the tour...it's just the reality. Literally spot on about regarding Barty, Pliskova and Kvitova today.
It's what YOU think is reality, not actual reality.

Where do I even begin? Let's start from the beginning, you said Barty didn't have a tight, close match since she began her RG run. So do we ignore her match against Anisimova in the semifinals when the American was up a set and 3-0? Is that not close enough for you? She ended up winning, but it was far from easy. I mean she was down a break in the 3rd set too. That's just ONE thing, on to the next.

You said Halep is the most limited among the players listed by you (limited by what standards exactly?, you don't mention) and then proceed to add that she, and I quote "Doesn't have a go to skill/weapon like the others do". So her BHDTL on the run AND even stretched I might add (which is incredibly hard to pull off, as anyone who's ever picked up a racket will tell you) is what? What about the fact that she is one of the best defenders (if not the best) on the tour, which helps her make up for her often shitty service games? Also not a skill? Or her ability to run down so many balls forcing her opponents to go for even smaller margins on their shots, which in turn pushes them to make UE? So being incredibly quick on your feet is not a skill? Even some of Halep's worst trolls will probably agree that what you wrote there about her is some straight up bullcrap.

You said Osaka is an emotional headcase who gives up easily when behind, but exactly by not giving up is how she won the AO this year. She might have had a bad patch after that, but who doesn't? Especially when you are as young as she is and are still tweaking your game.

Serena seems pretty damn good so far here at Wimbledon, don't know what you're talking about there either.

And it keeps going on and on. I don't know, this reality of yours just reads like something written by someone who doesn't actually follow women's tennis. I mean you might look at the results and might happen upon a match every now and again, but based on your general choice of words I'm guessing you are not as knowledgeable about the WTA as you would like people here to think you are.

So in essence your reality might not reflect the actual reality of women's tennis. I don't doubt your words are sincere and that's what you think about those players, but often that's not what's actually there. Thus I recommend you study the WTA a bit more before talking about a subject such as this.

·
Banned
446 Posts
The Elite Players- Barty, Osaka, Kvitova, Ka.Pliskova, Kerber and Halep
The Stars- Serena, Maria, Venus, Azarenka and Wozniacki
The Pretenders- Svitolina, Muguruza, Bertens and Stephens

That said, none of them truly have a current aura of invincibility and only really Barty, Osaka and Kvitova could be dominant players.

Barty is unproven, she's yet to play a top 10 player since her RG run began (hasn't beaten one since Miami)and she has yet to have a tight, close match that tests her plus she still has that reputation of getting tight. Time will tell
Osaka is an emotional head case who can give up quickly, without fight.
Kvitova still remains to be unconvincing in the majors and can be quite inconsistent in large patches of the season.
Ka.Pliskova can go down relatively easy in the big events.
Kerber puts in way too many telephoned performances plus she has a bad attitude without much fight when things don't go her way.
Halep is probably the most limited of this group and has a tendency to go down easily in majors as well. Doesn't have a go to skill/weapon like the others do.

Serena is beyond a part time player, her overall level of play isn't anywhere near the same and age/injuries seems to be a factor.
Sharapova can't stay healthy ,her body has been falling apart since 2014 and since the ban she has more pressure to perform.
Venus really hasn't been a factor for years, and bar 2017, has been consistently an 'average top player'. Age and injuries get in the way but lately 9/10 times against a top player she will be routined. Hasn't gotten close to a tour title since early 2016.
Azarenka has lost the belief/swag that lead her to dominance. The game and confidence are gone and she seems to be lost.
Wozniacki is the most limited here, the illness has stalled her but the true skill was never really there. Take away her consistency ( which is gone) and she's just an average counterpuncher that has a serious illness and off court distractions. She's more of a pretender.

Bertens is and will be a big time choker ( she's lost 3 matches this season from MP up), she can't handle constant pressure and she's yet to prove herself at the big stages.
Stephens has a terrible attitude and puts in waaaay too many subpar, lacking in effort performances. She needs to be called out.
Muguruza is the big bad wolf. She can huff and puff all day long but any resistance will blow her down.
Svitolina is the most limited in this group, and her game was never going to last in the current form. Even confident, she couldn't deliver in the majors.
You are full of lies, and I should have ignored your subjective top full of lack of knowledge!

Halep head-to-head is 7-3 against Pliskova and 4-1 against Kvitova, 7-6 over Kerber but let's say Angie won 3 Slams although Halep also reached 4 Slam finals (but lost 3, 3 setters, one being against doper Sharapova and two "escaped").

Kvitova is nothing much outside grass, Halep doesn't have weapons and skill? AHAHHAA! I feel your topic is against Halep or you are very dumb. Halep beats Kvitova on both clay and hard, on clay just if there aren't indoor conditions.

All the tennis fans know Halep is superior to Pliskova, and by the way Halep just beat Pliskova on her best surface and indoor in Czech Republic at Fed Cup QF.

And Halep is also superior to Barty in any aspect, than slicing and serving just because she's inconsistent. As serve, she's maybe better when she's in good form.

Simona Halep is a star now, most consistent player of the WTA in the last 5 years. I was just changed after Serena's lack of activity. Future Hall of Famer.

Azarenka is a star? Are you serious? All of her performances are similar to Halep, moreover Halep beat her in their last 3 meetings, twice in straight sets. Azarenka is a star without continuity then.

Wozniacki also without some continuity, but still achieved probably more than Vika. What a pathetic moron! :laugh2: Wozniacki all of her career, even at her best, was a counterpuncher. Halep has amazing skills, she's so strong for 167-168 cm, possesses great forehand and backhand, can make winners and sometimes is serving really well. ALSO, Halep is still in development, she can smash and volley now and continues playing doubles. Halep is a hardworking, Barty the same. They are very serious girls. Compared to Azarenka, Halep, Wozniacki, and maybe even Barty, are stars now.

Yes, Halep is a lot more popular than Vika ever was. At the level of big tournaments stadiums Azarenka still is. And of the hardcore fans like us. But in the fact the world is also Asia, Latin America or even Africa.

·
Banned
446 Posts
And Venus is a star but stop overrating her so much. She was born in US and had 20 year career. Outside grass, she wasn't really that great except of the US Open sometimes. Since 2015, she didn't reach 4 against "unskilled" and "weaponless" Halep. DO YOU HEAR YOURSELF?

Even the 2013 match in Tokyo should have been won by Halep but those were indoor conditions in the worst way, which she hates the most. I watched that match and should have been won by Halep but she slipped. Venus got more experience, although even in 2013 the better player was Simona.

Who's following the tour knows everything I write it's true.

·
Banned
446 Posts
Another fact: Halep 4-1 h2h against Osaka. Beat her 6-1 6-0 in 2018 Madrid premier mandatory, to get revenge after that accident. Beat her 6-3 6-2 also at AO 2018.

So how is the Halep "unskilled, weaponless and the most limited" from the group?
I guess she should progress to the STARS?

Halep h2h against:

- Pliskova 7-3
- Kvitova 4-1
- Osaka 4-1
- 3-1 Barty
- Kerber 7-6

HOW IS HALEP THEN THE MOST LIMITED IN THE GROUP WHEN SHE LEADS HEAD-TO-HEAD ALL THOSE "ELITE" PLAYERS?

I will stop here the discussion because of your "limited" tennis knowledges. Very limited!

·
Banned
446 Posts
Simona Halep (YEAR-END WTA RANKING)

2018 1
2017 1
2016 4
2015 2
2014 3
2013 11 (but was top 10 already in January 2014)

So the end of 2019 will mark 6 years of top 10 for Halep and most semifinals of Premier tournaments of the last 10-15 years or so.

·
Banned
446 Posts
It's like at school, you think you are right but the big boys laugh about you! :laugh2: Really, 90% of the users told you this.

Obviously someone who doesn't like the WTA and is making fun of the tour. Probably some crazed poster from Men's Tennis Forum, they are insufferable.
ATP is a lot poorer than WTA now, WTA is in a great state of 200 solid players. Zvonareva said that, Kim Clijsters came back without problems after pregnancy whilst Sharapova or Azarenka didn't. WHY? Because the level is very high now in the WTA, Vera Zvonareva said before we barely had 15 players.

ATP's top 30 is full now of players that all of their career played in the Challenger tour, they reached top of the ATP when they were 30 years old. ATP survives because of the celebrities but in fact is very poor. Except for Thiem, none can reach their fame, not even overrated Zverev.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts