·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/01/1051382049646.html

Olympic return not on: Dokic
By Alex Brown
May 2 2003

Jelena Dokic wants to compete at next year's Olympics - but under what flag the world No.10 won't say.

Speaking from Poland, where the Serbia and Montenegro representative has advanced to the quarter-finals of Warsaw's J&S Cup, Dokic denied reports she had approached Tennis Australia seeking to represent Australia at the Olympics.

"The Olympics are 14 months away, so I am not thinking about it right now," Dokic said in a telephone interview from Warsaw.

"I don't think I'll be making any decision for a while because it is not a priority right now. It is more important for me to be focusing on the tournaments I am playing at the moment instead of something so far away.

"I do represent a country at the moment, and Fed Cup and the Olympics are things I definitely want to be part of. Some of my best memories come from playing in those team events because you are close to your teammates. But I haven't contacted Tennis Australia at all."

According to Tennis Australia spokesman John Lindsay, players switching allegiances are banned from representing their new country in Fed Cup competition for three years. And to play at the Olympics, a player must have participated in at least two Fed Cup ties - one during the four year lead-up to the Games.

"There have been reports that she might not be eligible [to represent Serbia and Montenegro at the Olympics] but we're not sure where she stands," Lindsay said. "She hasn't contacted us formally. But our door is open, and if she wants to come back and represent Australia, we will welcome her. It's a delicate matter and obviously a very personal decision for her. If she wants to talk to us, we'll definitely listen."

Born in the former Yugoslavia and raised in Fairfield from the age of 11, Dokic played for Australia at the Sydney Olympics, then claimed the 2001 Australian Open was rigged against her. She boycotted the tournament this year, having severed ties with Australia in 2001.

As has become her custom on tour, Dokic is staying with Brazilian boyfriend Enrique Bernoldi during her time in Poland. Their relationship, reports suggest, were behind Dokic's recent split with father, Damir, who relocated the family from Sydney to Belgrade in 2001.

Once banned from attending WTA matches for six months, Damir Dokic has labelled Bernoldi "[Jelena's] biggest mistake", then ridiculed his former Arrows formula one team by stating, "Brother, I drive faster than him."

But Damir's closest confidant in Serbia and Montenegro, Dusan Grujic, said yesterday that the family was working towards a truce. "There is no problem," Grujic said, adding that Damir was out of the country buying materials to build a new house in Belgrade. "They are fine."

Jelena, meanwhile, remained coy regarding her future international plans.

"I am not giving you an interview on this," she said. "A lot of players don't think the Olympics are a big tournament because it only comes once every four years. Only half the players went to Sydney because they didn't think it was as big as a grand slam tournament. But I enjoyed it, and I would like to play at the Olympics again. It's a long way off and it's not my focus right now."

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please stay away Jelena, your not wanted.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
she might have had discussions with tennis australia, but perhaps is feeling neutral towards a country switch now because shes realised that she probably wont be accepted back with open arms? and shes probably still considering her options rather than making a decisive comment to the media....

still, the saga continues...more jelena controversy :eek:!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
SM said:
she might have had discussions with tennis australia, but perhaps is feeling neutral towards a country switch now because shes realised that she probably wont be accepted back with open arms? and shes probably still considering her options rather than making a decisive comment to the media....

still, the saga continues...more jelena controversy :eek:!
*Nods*

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Jelena :rolleyes:

Why cant she just compete for Jugoslavia? They have Olympic reps.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Jelena :rolleyes:

Why cant she just compete for Jugoslavia? They have Olympic reps.
did you miss the part where it said that players switching allegiances are banned from Fed Cup for three years afterwards? That is why...

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
"A lot of players don't think the Olympics are a big tournament because it only comes once every four years."

does that make sense to anybody?

·
Registered
838 Posts
???According to Tennis Australia spokesman John Lindsay, players switching allegiances are banned from representing their new country in Fed Cup competition for three years. ???

Why the hell are they pushing the Clijsters clan to adopt the Australian nationality ?

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
rikvanlooy said:
???According to Tennis Australia spokesman John Lindsay, players switching allegiances are banned from representing their new country in Fed Cup competition for three years. ???

Why the hell are they pushing the Clijsters clan to adopt the Australian nationality ?
for 2008? for the added publicity she will bring to the game in Australia regardless of whether she can play Fed cup? To have a top female player?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Why doesn't she play for some really obscure nation like Pitcairn Island or the Federated States of Micronesia? (no offence if you live there)

·
Registered
25,237 Posts
jelena should grow up :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reactions: selesfan

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
I find this whole thing about Jelena so interesting. On the one hand, if someone had done that with Spain I think I would not want her back. On the other, you can tell some people in Tennis Australia must be interested in getting her to play for the Aussies.

If it was up to me, I think I would not take her back if she was the last person available on the planet, I'd rather not send anyone to represent Australia. But that is probably being too vindictive ;) - I can't wait to see what ends up happening. If it was for BJK to decide, I think she'd be in the team in a NY minute, what with that winning is everything mentality :D :p

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
it's not like Jelena's going to be a star if she represents a particular country.... the whole matter lies with herself, she's inconsistent in her games...

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
JoeyWinson3.0 said:
Why doesn't she play for some really obscure nation like Pitcairn Island or the Federated States of Micronesia? (no offence if you live there)
Once again, because she would have to wait three years in order to play FC and therefore qualify for the Olympics. Australia is her lone option.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
:wavey: It's a tough question....and I see both sides of it. Should Jelena be allowed to play for Australia at the Olympics?? I think yes...if she wins a medal she will be welcome back in the Australian Sporting fraternity....should she not win a medal...the press she has had here already which started all this will be nothing compared as to what will be written about her.

To "Wear the Green and Gold" is a sacred thing as I would Imagine pulling on a guernsey for any country would be.

"Sunrise" on Channel 7 held a poll if she should be allowed back....although polls can be dodgy....i think that fact barely 20 percent wanted her back is a fair indication. I also feel that with her not playing the Aus Open the last few years (It's too far to travel...and basically couldn't be bothered with it) doesn't sit very well with tennis and sporting fans here in general.

Tennis Australia want her back....Geeshhh!!! What a suprise :rolleyes: due to the ability to take claim having an "Aussie Lady" who succeded through.....what is obviously a stuggling tennis system...and has been for the last 15 years.

On the other hand....and my personal opinion....Jelena should be welcomed back due to a) The press she recieved here was not only unfair but crimal IMO...what teenager should be speaking to a media full of leeches that are more concerned about a headline than the welfare of a girl who has to answer for her fathers actions? b) Being Aussie and a touch selfish to the fact...her Ranking and general play (yes almost forgot she was a sportswoman and not a politician pthththth) will bring much needed publicity to womens tennis here in Australia.

Australia is one of the most multi-cultural country in the world...a place where people have the right to freedom and a better life...what pissed me off the most about the Dokic's...is that once they had enough money to have freedom anywhere in the world...they turned their back on the country that gave them that chance.

Having said that however....a country of freedom also makes way for "Freedom of Speech". There are so many factors to be considered...I'm not a Yougoslav etc...I don't know their cultural ways and customs. Jelena is not a teenager anymore...she is an adult....but one thing is for sure...should she cause any disreguard when/if she comes back then she will never be forgiven....she needs to make her intent clear...we don't want her here to play the Olympics and then defect to Greenland because the Salmon is cheap. :wavey:

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
I think it is a bit of a joke that Australia seems to be a sporting nation and ab.loves their sport heroes and promote themselves as such great sports, but they cannot find it in their hearts to hear Jelena's side of the story.

If I was Jelena I would release an official statement on this issue, describing such things about her leaving and her father's role in the decision etc. Then perhaps people will see the truth.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts