Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wrote this sentence about Anna in another thread.

"She's athletic enough, but I can't name one mental or emotional trait Anna has that's an advantage for a tennis player during a match.

I wondered if it was fair.

Anna is reputed to have a great work ethic, but that doesn't help you during the match, per se, not like being good at strategy, or having superior focus, or being good at tricking people. Anna's mental game seems to begin and end with 'run them for corner to corner if you can'. Other than that, she simply reacts to whatever the other player is doing.

Anna's one of the ten best athletes on the tour. But it seems to me that she has turned into the player I (secretly) feared Venus Williams might be. All physical, no mental. Worse, she doesn't act like she understands there IS a mental side she hasn't yet mastered. And she's never going to win the GS title she's athlete enough to win if she doesn't get focus/intellect/pressure side of the equation down.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with you Volcana! Anna too often doesn't think her way around the tennis court, and in my opinion that's what has held her back the most. It's either that she's trying to outhit her opponent or playing her opponent's game; rarely will she use a strategy of her own. She has all the shots, and is a great mover, so she can definitely use some strategy on the court and figure out ways to win, but like Volcana said, she doesn't seem to understand that there is a mental side to the game that she can improve on.
I also thought that Venus might be just a power player with no exceptional mental strength. And, for the first couple of years, that's basically what she was, all power. But, as soon as she became stronger mentally, the big results started to come. I think that if Anna can develop into a stronger mental player, the results will start coming for her too.

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
silvercharm said:
lucky for Anna she has Marti to help her win some titles
silver, i know you didn't mean this in a bad way but it came off to me as that. to insinuate that anna can't win titles other than to have hingis as her partner isn't fair. sorry, im touchy today
...but i get ya...martina has helped anna...im probably looking into your post too much....

as for volcana's quote

"She's athletic enough, but I can't name one mental or emotional trait Anna has that's an advantage for a tennis player during a match.

i don't see anything wrong in saying it. it is your opinion afterall. and anna's weakness Is her mental game...and when she improves it, the titles will start coming...

·
Registered
15,274 Posts
Mitch I didn't think that at all about Venus because It was so obvious that Venus always worked on what she needed to improve on. Venus each year that she was on the tour has steadily been working on her problem areas. Her serve,her placement, her net game and her MENATL focus. Now with Anna I don't see that kind of improvement in her game and especially her MENTAL game.:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
DawnMarie, you're right that Venus was always working on some aspect of her game that needed improvement...her serve, her net play...but I think (and of course I'm no expert ;) ) that her game really went to another level once she improved her mental game. Anyways, whatever she did, it seems to have worked so far ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
in complete diametrical contrast to her singles play, in doubles anna oozes confindence, calm, mentally strong and is one of the more tactically aware doubles players going around (second only to martina IMO).

this happens regardless whether she plays with martina or not.

i think her willingness to fight however is one trait that is an advantage. however sometimes this fight is simply consumed by the other deficiencies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert in sports psychology, but for what it's worth, I think Kournikova should focus on tennis 100%. I'm not sure if the signature on one of the posters is really what she said: "...we're superstars!". If that is the case then it's not even reached the point where the mental side of the game is, it's an attitude that she needs to kick. If she WANTS to be a TOP tennis player. Gather up, leave EVERYTHING ELSE aside for a little while, and really focus on working her game up a few notches.

I also read that she doesn't have a coach. Please excuse my ignorance, can't seem to remember everything that's been posted. Anyways, if she doesn't, then that's one aspect she needs to sort out.

my 2pence's worth...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Mental toughness isn't actually Anna's big problem. I've seen her come back from behind in plenty of matches. She is a real fighter on court.

Her problem is lack of court sense & strategy. She just doesn't seem to be able to construct a point properly which is bizarre considering her phenomenal doubles record.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Saki, you need to add: ... on the big points

Anna can construct points beautifully, and can - does - have great court awareness; of where the spaces are and what she's going to do with the ball.

She can - for periods - actually dominate play against the best in the world.

What it comes down to (and I'm not offering reasons or explanations, just statement of what I've seen), she is soo fallible on the big points.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
She's mentally tough in that she can come from behind to win a match - the amount of times I've seen the girl come back from 0-40 down in a game to win it is incredible - but that she can never sustain brilliant play while she's ahead. When she's 2-5 down in a set, she's very capable of still winning it; when she's 5-2 up, she's very capable of losing it from there.

I agree with saki and thefreedesigner about her court awareness. She has very natural, instinctive reactions and placement; when it gets to a big point, she starts thinking about it and tightens up.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
The talent is there; the mind is not. Anna simply lacks confidence. You'd think with all her fame and money that she would be a little cocky on court but she is more apt to cower than to really fight to the very end. I respect Mary Pierce that much more because she doesn't have many of Anna's gifts but she has risen to the occasion several times in her erratic career. At almost 21, Anna hasn't even done that.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
Well, Anna is just a girl (not yet a woman)!!, just like everyone else.

Hope she can lift it up!!!

GO ANNA!!

:bounce:

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Oh, my bad. She's pushing 22 then? That's even worse. :rolleyes:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
I think Anna needs a little genius from Martina ;)

That kind of genius that lets you instinctively know where to put the ball and all. I think Anna has too little court sense and she doesn't know what to do with the ball... sometimes. I think if she got a better coach, this problem can be solved as the coach can work on the tactical aspect of her game.

Anna certainly has most shots in the book, it is just a matter of using them at the right time. She needs a coach for that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My mind, His mind, Your mind, Her mind...

Well... Venus has once again put something else on Anna's mind.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Oh my bad again. 20. Well, there's still some hope. I guess. :rolleyes: Sorry for the cynicism but AK just frustrates the hell out of me.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
I agree!

She need a real coach!! Not just her mother!!!!

:eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts