Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a slam in the cards for Karo Pliskova?

I think going by non-slam form, it's hard to find another player who has been as consistently great as Karo has been all season long. She's looked in slam-winning form going into both the French and Wimbledon. She's made some significant improvements in her game since the 2016 US Open when she contested her only slam final. She's building points much better, and in the last couple of months, she's actually moving better.

I'm optimistic that she's going in the right direction and can eventually snatch a slam. But I wonder what's proving to be the roadblock. They're good players, but she shouldn't be losing to the likes of Martic and Muchova given the form she displayed going into the last two slams.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
She was in 2016 USO final. Not 2015.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
She has all the tools to win a Slam. I think she doesn't know how to deal with one of her "off" days but her loss to Muchova at this year's championship is because Muchova played the match of her life and Pliskova double faulted when it mattered.

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Needs a better memory card.

Maxed out her RAM

·
Registered
32,007 Posts
She doesn´t have the proper match application/mental fortitude. Always playing up or down to the level of your opposition makes you vulnerable.

People always say she doesn´t have the movement, the footwork, the defense or the fitness, but imho she is superior to Kvitova in all these areas. What she does not have is this ruthless "untouchable" aura. This total offensive wrecking machine level, the "Oh shit, I´m in trouble"-mode, that mentally scars others players.

·
Registered
32,007 Posts
She has all the tools to win a Slam. I think she doesn't know how to deal with one of her "off" days
That´s also a good way to sum her up.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Karo totally deserves another chance, I think she has the game the consistency and the experience but sometimes for the first slam they need also a little luck.

·
Registered
115,530 Posts
She was up 3-1 in a slam final 3rd set. That is when you have to close and if you screw it up, you have to keep getting to slam finals
Halep lost her first 3 slam finals, but she is a true #1 and kept getting there. Wozniacki lost her first 2 and got back there. If she cant get back to slam finals, then she missed her Ostapenko moment
Look, she's making millions and is not a huge draw. She beat the game already by going into this sport. Same for Svitolina

I think about all the players who got injured early or like Kleybanova, got cancer early. They have to live a middle class lifestyle. Pliskova is healthy and wealthy and not a good mover

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
been saying this for some time now: she can't deny physics, with her lanky legs and long leevers there's only so much she could do considering movement and stamina, and that already gives her a disadvantage by hitting the ceiling earlier than others.
if she was to win a slam, of which she undoubtedly has the talent in shotmaking, some serious numbers of stars have to align. she just isn't able to grind it out herself due to limitations of her body.

·
Registered
550 Posts
For me, it's all in the head. Karo has a lot of apparent mental problems which make her prone to losing winnable matches, which is something grand slam champions generally avoid. Off the top of my head:

- She's prone to losing concentration when winning easily, which makes her vulnerable to comebacks from her opponents. I've noticed that if her level drops in this way, she finds it almost impossible to get it back, while the opponent is naturally massively encouraged by the newfound weakness (e.g. versus Stephens at 2018 Tour Final)
- She often takes a long time to come into matches, which means she gives away a first set through bad play much more often than most top players, and versus top players you just can't expect to win both remaining sets even if you pick your level up (e.g. versus Osaka at 2019 AO)
- She's not the best at pulling off dramatic comebacks, unless the opponent has had an insane choke or other issue (e.g. versus Buzarnescu at Wimbledon 2018, Serena AO 2019)
- Her serve tends to go if the rest of her game is going (and vice versa), so she's actually pretty bad at clinging onto matches when her ground game isn't working (e.g. versus Hsieh in Dubai 2019, where a final set 5-1 lead became a 5-7 loss - shouldn't be possible for a servebot)

There's probably more than that, but there's just so many things that stop her playing a tremendous match from start to finish and she's not talented enough to realistically beat top players without being dialed in for an entire match. I think there are belief problems too (does she actually believe she's a top player when it comes to the crunch? I'm not sure) but it's the stuff I listed above that make her give away matches she has a right to win. I can't think of anyone else in the top 10 who'd give away a 6-0 2-0 lead in the way she did at the tour finals, and that's why most top 10 players are more legitimate grand slam threats than she is.

She's still a great player and she can achieve a lot, but sadly I don't think a grand slam is a realistic goal for her unless her head can change.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Is a slam in the cards for Karo Pliskova?

I think going by non-slam form, it's hard to find another player who has been as consistently great as Karo has been all season long. She's looked in slam-winning form going into both the French and Wimbledon. She's made some significant improvements in her game since the 2016 US Open when she contested her only slam final. She's building points much better, and in the last couple of months, she's actually moving better.

I'm optimistic that she's going in the right direction and can eventually snatch a slam. But I wonder what's proving to be the roadblock. They're good players, but she shouldn't be losing to the likes of Martic and Muchova given the form she displayed going into the last two slams.
Form or no form, it's "only" Pliskova - not 2012 Serena. A wily player like Martic has all the tools to beat Pliskova on her day, especially on clay - as evidenced by the 4-1 h2h. Pliskova certainly has great strengths, but pretty evident weaknesses. Basically the Berdych of the WTA.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
It's all in the mind. I think all the failures have given her the gremlins. She has been highly seeded and deemed one of the pre-event favourites several times before Wimbledon but she has never made the quarters. The pressure gets too much and when the matches get tight she goes into her shell and the opponent triumphs. She was lucky to survive the Hsieh match 3r tbh this Wimbledon but the endless Muchova match just got to her. She served so few aces, I don't know what happened with her serve in that match, but it was not the weapon it usually is when she needed it. You could see on her face the 'Oh no, not again!' look when she failed to serve out all those times; Muchova on the other hand felt no pressure, was inspired, not overwhelmed by the occasion and brought out her best tennis at the key moments. Being a top three seed at Wimbledon having never made the quarters is a huge mental block, it also proved too much for Osaka and Barty.

At the US Open she probably has a better chance because she has made the final there before. But I think she needs to go into the event under the radar and without too much expectation and maybe she can finally break her duck. Looking at all the other players who have won slams, surely it is Pliskova's turn one day. She needs to keep Conchita on her team because I am sure she can help her past the finishing line, if anyone can.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Recent slam winners have that moment of genius, the magical run. Ostapenko’s unlikely brilliance, Mugaruza able to raise her game, Kvitova’s 2 golden finals, Kerber finding her down the line winners. Pliskova is much steadier but less spectacular and I’m not sure she has that extra gear that others have managed to engage to get them that big win. She COULD, or she might have the draw open up for her like Barty, Bartoli, Pennetta. In many ways, I really did think this Wimbledon might have seen her find that inspired moment, the way she won Eastbourne. It still might happen, as she I do think she had continued to improve her movement and all round game.

·
Registered
18,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Form or no form, it's "only" Pliskova - not 2012 Serena. A wily player like Martic has all the tools to beat Pliskova on her day, especially on clay - as evidenced by the 4-1 h2h. Pliskova certainly has great strengths, but pretty evident weaknesses. Basically the Berdych of the WTA.
I don't disagree with you about the talent of the players she lost to, but she should have figured it out. And that's what's worrying. Obviously, she can spend years being a could-have-been, and there are many players who do. I just hope not. I mean, for the tour's sake, we can't have three slamless #1s in the record books.

Berdych has never been a realistic contender. He's never entered a major tournament as one of the favorites to win, like Karo at the last two slams. (Obviously, it's a different landscape, but Karo for the last six weeks has been consistently great and looking every bit the slam champ.)

Maybe I'm over shooting here, but she has looked like she's elevated her game this season, and making apparent weaknesses less damaging to her prospects. And even still, this isn't 2002-2003 when you have to nearly perfect to win a slam and still won't (Venus, Kim).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pliskova is just a better version of Konta. A predictable robot with no ability to adapt her one-dimensional game in adversity. Nevertheless, worse players than her have won Grand Slams recently, so I wouldn't be totally shocked if she managed to grab one... but it would certainly not be a good advert for the WTA.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I don't know. She has always struggled on RG and Wimbledon :shrug: adding to the lack of confidence and belief. I will give her a bit more shot on hard courts. TO be fair, Simona would probably have beaten her here anyways even if she had to not choke against Muchova :shrug: Only time will tell if she will win a slam or not. She does have the weapons. I think that if she wins one then probably she will win a few more. If seems hard for her to break barriers, but if and once she manages, she gains confidence, and it doesnt remain an issue anymore.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Much like we were due to see Svitolina in a slam SF, I think Pliskova is bound to win one in the next few years. I think she'll need a lot of luck to do it, but she should eventually figure out how to take one of the chances that she's offered. Start by not vulturing the weeks before, perhaps.

And get a psychologist, a servebot should not be constantly broken when serving out sets and matches

1 - 20 of 32 Posts