Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The IOC awarding the Canadian figure skating pair a gold medal just goes to show, when you loose, if you or your people complain loud enough and long enough to the 'right' people, you just may get what you want in the end.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Ryan - even if he is Russian, doesn't mean he is blind to the biased judging in skating. I know lots of people who feel the Russians won fair and square- and they aren't Russian!

However - your post endiadjendiadj, makes me think you haven't been following this at all. in which case, making uneducated comments about it is a little ignorant.

A judging scandal has been ADMITTED to! The people who awarded the medals, their very own, has admiteed to wrong doing!

in the eyes of many, the Canadians didn't lose.

So you can whine all you want - since you have no basis for it, no one cares :D

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
My opinion on the media in this case is that if there wasn't such an interest, the ISU might have been able to let this one slide once again but since the media spotlight was on this situation, they were unable to deny that there was some wrong doing in this case.... and i don't think it's a case of if you whine enough and loud enough you'll get what you want... in the men's event do you really think if everybody thought say tim ghobel should of won that the ISU or IOC would "cave in" and give tim a gold medal?? NO!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am female.

I'm saying that due to enormous pressure by the fans, the skaters, the networks covering this whole mess, the IOC caved in. If they didn't award the Canadians the gold medal this controversy would have dragged on and there would've been more internal investigations and so forth.

The IOC wanted a quick resolution so they gave the Canadians the gold.

The Russians and the Canadians skated beautiful programs and either 'could have' won but the French judge, along with four other judges, by the way, voted for the Russians.

I've followed figure skating for over 15 years now. The same thing happened in 1994. Oksana Baiul beat Nancy Kerrigan for the gold. Nancy's jumps were more technically sound than Oksana's but the judges who voted for Oksana felt that her program, as a whole, was better, the dance, the flow, the creativity, the artistry. They felt that the rest of the program made up for the minor flaws in her jumping, at least that's what one of the judges said.

Some people, myself included, favor the artistic aspect, the dance, the creativity of figure skating, so they judge more on that part. Some people favor the athletic aspect, the tightness of the spins, the jumps, so they judge more on that. Some even judge the music of choice and the outfits.

I don't mean to ramble but I should explain myself since I was deemed stupid by the previous responses.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Canadian pair deserved the gold medals they really earned, but Russian pair should have been given silver medals in exchange for the gold medals they did not deserve.

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,842 Posts
The IOC did the right thing by awarding a Gold and, thereby negating a crooked French Judges wrong doing!

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
There are still internal investigations going on as to whether the russian judge was involved or not. I wasnt trying to say your stupid, but I think your post made it sound like the Canadians just whined about not getting gold. Even if they ddint skate good enough(even though they did skate better) the judging was fixed. There was nothingt else they could have done.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the french official 'reportedly' stated that the french jugde was 'pressured' into voting for the russian pair. then the french official 'reportedly' re-canted that statement.

i'm american so i don't have allegiance either way. i just feel that since no one has given any solid proof that the french did wrong, i will not judge her. four other judges did AGREE with her, btw.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I'm not sure if my opinion counts for anything because I'm not a fan of figure skating.

In fact, the first time I watched it was the pairs Skating in Salt lake City.

For me, the Canadians were awesome and made me feel something. The Russians were also very good, but I think the judges did award the gold to the wrong team.

I thought the Canadians were on another different level.

They deserved the gold, and now both teams have got it, there's no problem with that.

They're both great!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'll say it you are stupid. As was any judge who voted for the Russians. Did you see it? The Russians made mistakes the Canadians did not, case closed. The judge admitted she was "pressured." Figure it out.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,467 Posts
They didn't cave in - The French judge gave in, and put in a score which did not reflect an unbiased opinion.

The IOC and ISU did the right thing. The Canadians deserved gold, and decided to give them a gold medal aswell, with the Russians, who are equally deserving of the gold.

ISU also suspended the French judge, which was also a good move.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I dont find it fair how the French judge is being made the scapegoat of all this.

She came clean at least. And obviously someone pressured her into voting that way, or it wouldn't have even been an issue.

The people behind her who knew about this are just as guilty (maybe even more?), and I hope they get caught and delt with accordingly.

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
If the situation had been reversed then there would never been an uproar, no one would really care cos its only "Russian Skaters".

and if you don't believe that ........ then you are lying.

the US press and all the Western press would never have made it into such a big issue if Anton/Elena got robbed.

The only thing said would be "Russian whingers" :fiery: :fiery:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
TheBoiledEgg,

Usually your posts are worth reading, but this time you are completely out of line. First of all, I am American, not Canadian. I am a fan of Sale/Pelletier not because of their nationality, but because of their quality as pairs skaters. They have chemistry on the ice that the Russians will never have, no matter how many hours a day they practice on the ice: that's what makes Sale/Pelletier the better pair and if you would have watched it you would know, plain and simple. Also, if you are any fan of skating, you would know that any mistake in a jump requires at least a 2-3 tenth deduction...which the Russians obviously didn't receive, since they got mostly 5.8's. Sale/Pelletier made zero mistakes, had better chemistry on the ice, and were clearly better. That is the reason there is the uproar. It has nothing to do with the Russians being Russian. I am so tired of people accusing Americans and even Canadians of your comments.

·
Banned
271 Posts
It's you who are totally out of the line. Yes, in your mind, S/P are the better skaters, but to a lot of other people, it is not the case. Everybody is entitled to his/her own opinions. Stop degrading the others to pull up your own favorite. Should I say the special qualities about the russian's skating (that vulnerable delicacy, that elegance etc) are what S/P can only dream about?
BTW, the russians did get the deduction for their mistakes. I didn't see any technical marks higher than 5.8. If you think thats not enough, go check the score and even the german judge who always favored the S/P (he/she put S/P the 1 place in short programm) gave them 5.8.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
No no no! Excuse my ignorance but I just don't understand how people can say that both teams won the Gold and be happy with this extremely unsatisfactory situation.

Can someone explain to me: The French judge has admitted that she was crooked. That what, she succumbed to pressure put on her by the French Federation?

Am I correct so far (I might not be, wouldn't be the first time etc.)

If so,

1. Who are the 'nameless people' that put the pressure on this woman. ie Has the French Federation admitted that the judge was encouraged to be biased towards the Russians?

2. If the French were biased towards the Russians, why were they?

People just seem to be saying that because one - to my knowledge unsubstantiated - French judge has said that pressure was put on her to vote a certain way, let's share the gold medal. Do we know what this 'pressure' was?

Now that to me is a Cop-out unless you:

- Independently substantiate what the judge has said ie:
- Find out why/who (names) instructed her to be biased.

This French judge wasn't the only who had the Russian pair as the winners (again I might be wrong on this) because with the French marks knocked off both teams were level m(hence the travesty of a shared gold? Why aren't we investigating all the judges marks in this case?

Why? Because it's subjective that's why.

Surely the inference is that there was some kind of 'deal' between Russia and France, and in that case there's no way the Russians should have the gold. On the other hand I'm entirely sceptical as to what kind of pressure was put on the judge, and why? Federations talk all the time, about all sorts of things. If this judge honestly believes her vote was tainted then full explanations are needed as to why.

Someone? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts