Tennis Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
There's lots of things I like about Kim. One thing I like her for is that even if you don't like the message - she let's her fans know what's going on through her diary and interviews. She's always given notice of her intentions. Hasn't yet pulled out of tournaments at the very last minute without any warning unlike other players I could name. She's always planned her recoveries from injuries, lets us know when she aims to be back, and works toward her announced return date.
I like that about her too. The only time I wished she hadn’t talked about her plans was this year, when she first said that she would like to play at the US open and than a few weeks later she said she probably wouldn’t. I am sure she has her reasons for it, but I must admit I was a little disappointed then.
What I really hate about Kim is the rotten luck she's had with injuries.
Both Kim’s mother and sister stopped with their sports at a very young age because of injuries and even Kim’s father had a lot of operations, so it has a lot to do with her genes too. She was lucky that tennis wasn’t as physical at the beginning of her career as it is now, otherwise I doubt that she would have lasted even this long.

One thing I find funny though. A lot of people say that she is leaving the sport at her peak. She is 24 years old, has an extremely physical way of playing tennis, a ton of chronic injuries, is she really at her peak now? For me, it was in 2003 and probably would have been in 2004. In 2005 she gathered all her strength to achieve what she did achieve, but that was also the year when her hip, knee, back problems began. Since then nothing has been the same.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
I like that about her too. The only time I wished she hadn’t talked about her plans was this year, when she first said that she would like to play at the US open and than a few weeks later she said she probably wouldn’t. I am sure she has her reasons for it, but I must admit I was a little disappointed then..
I know what you mean. I do think with the wedding mainly - but also her injuries - she has changed her mind this year. And yes I'm disappointed too. I didn't want it to be this way this year and at the beginning of the year I thought it would be different. But to be absolutely clear - I'm may be disappointed but I'm not disappointed in Kim at all. I'm very proud of her. She's done the right thing IMO to let us know when she changed her mind rather than withdrawing at the last minute or something.

I'm actually still hoping she might play USO since I don't really understand missing it - it's 2 weeks after the end of her honeymoon. But it's only a slim hope.

One thing I find funny though. A lot of people say that she is leaving the sport at her peak. She is 24 years old, has an extremely physical way of playing tennis, a ton of chronic injuries, is she really at her peak now? For me, it was in 2003 and probably would have been in 2004. In 2005 she gathered all her strength to achieve what she did achieve, but that was also the year when her hip, knee, back problems began. Since then nothing has been the same.
I totally agree with you on this. A lot of ppl don't realise just how good she was in 2003 - just those slam finals. But she was a cert to win any tournament JH didn't play in and 50-50 any tournament (except the slams) that JH was playing. And she was closing in on Justine with the slams when injury struck. I think she was better 2003 than 2005.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Bree lost with 2 points against Oostende :sad:
there both in second place now, after Charleroi
but still in for the play offs!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
busy schedules? :rolls: is Kim doing something she's not telling us about? :eek: :haha:
Yes, she's going to the basketballgames of Brian :lol:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Belgium Fed Cup team will play against China in July 14-15th, that's just during Kim's wedding. If the girls lose, at least they have an excuse: they were thinking at Kim. :lol: I always thought that Caroline would be Kim's bridesmaid but know... :shrug: It's a pitty that Fed Cup games are going to be played then....

·
Somewhere over the rainbow.
45,508 Posts
I suppose they don't really pay attention if any of the players is gonna be getting married or organising some kind of event everyone might attend when deciding on the fed cup ties:p . Actually I even think the Fed Cup dates are decided well long in advance;) However the date is completely silly being just after Wimbledon :rolleyes:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yas, can you rename this thread to something like - talk about Kim (present and future) since we already have a thread for the past and the memories, so we can discuss the upcoming stuff?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts