Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the strangest thing happened to me last night. I came home sometime in the middle of the competition and had an almost uncontrolable urge to watch. when I sat down and watched, this very unfamiliar feeling took over me, and it took me a little while to understand, that it was the bizzare sensation of feeling not completly negative about Europe. a friend who was watching with me expressed the same unlikely feeling, and as we put our heads together to get to the bottom of things, we realized it can all be traced to our childhood. see, when we were young, the Eurovision was a huge deal here. I remember begging my mom to let me stay up and watch the whole thing, I remember holding my breath when the voting started, the happiness when Israel got points... it all seems so funny today, but the Eurovision was very important to us then. it was so important, that the after affects of it linger today, and make it so that one night a year we feel somehow connected to Europe, and can somehow view it as something else than "the hate continent". now, maybe that doesn't seem all that important to you, but it was kind of a shocking realization for me. it's been so long since I've thought of Europe in any positive connotation,it was just surprising to all of a sudden feel this neighbourly, quite affectionate feeling towards them. so maybe this competition isn't so dumb after all. it seems to be doing what it's meant to be doing- "celebrating" diversity and promoting mutual respect.
(and I would like, in this opportunity, to once again say how awful I think it is that everyone is singing their songs in English now, and how it stands in contrast to the show's purpose, and to (shockingly!) congratulate France, on not giving in to that and sticking to french, and Belgium, which had, in my mind, the best song. and congrats to Turkey, ofcourse :) ).

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
It should be about bringing Europe together.........and you get the feeling at the venue it is a success, it must be great to be part of.

The music in general is dire, but for me it's about Europe coming together and forgetting issues and being as one, united.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
And to add............last night's live postings on here had 974 posts..........can't be too bad, people from different countries interacting on one event, not seen that on here before

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Well said, Noga. It's all about embracing different cultures. That's why I liked the Turkish entry. I rather liked Israel as well, BTW. Because of Eurovision, I've always considered Turkey and Israel as part of Europe. As a child, what did I know about borders? Israel was Europe just like France, Sweden, etc.
The songs are never high quality, but I love Eurovision nevertheless. And I love it when countries you don't know so much about get te host it and use it for self-promotion. Riga looks very nice.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
It has no really importance but I love watching Eurovision :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The songs are awful most of the time, but the point is, it's fun! The kitch, singing out of tune, voting ... all the package!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
JelenaDokicIsHot said:
And to add............last night's live postings on here had 974 posts..........can't be too bad, people from different countries interacting on one event, not seen that on here before
yeah,we did bloody well last night :)

and yes,it's all about kitch and crap music!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Israel won three times. French voters gave the Israeli song 8 points yesterday if I recall correctly. This is how we hate Israel :)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
And belgian people, you can see NOW that french people loves you, douze points from France for you yesterday ;) !!!!!

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Spain gave belgium 12 points too :) and belgium 10 to us :)

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
no it wasn't! I loved the French song and wanted to vote for them but I thought Israel might need my vote more.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
Spanish song was the Best ;)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Josh said:
LOL yes :kiss:

Et rien pour la France de la Belgique. :eek:

We're mean :devil:
:sad: Pourquoi tant de haine ? lol ;) !!!!!

Per, " awfull " is a really bad word, maybe the french song wasn' t what we need to win the Eurovision song contest, but it wasn' t " awfull ", the lyrics of that song are really " touching " !!!!!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
well I didn't like it at all..she wasn't a great singer, the song wasn't great...really mediocre. And I never listen to lyrics :eek:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts