Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Hi Craig!

I don't know if there are any gay guys on the ATP. They always get those gorgeous women( :drool: ) and are seen with them everywhere.

Wade is a lesbian? :eek: I am completely out-of-date!

·
25,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
C'mon Hingis-Seles-the law of averages means there must be some gays on the men's tour.

Aha Tennisvideos, so my hunch about Beuno-Hard was correct! I had a feeling because the old tennis mags never mentioned either one dating men and the old mags always did that. Then of course Darlene missed a Wimbledon when Bueno got hepatitis one year. You don't do that for just a doubles partner! Add in Margaret Court's comment of a few months ago about two top women being a couple when she started on tour and it makes sense.

How was Maria outed Tennisvideos? That's reprehensible IMO. You sure were right about the top ten in the late 70s being largely homesexual. At one point it was more than 50%.

1. Evert
2. Wade*
3. King*
4. Navratilova*
5. Stove*
6. Barker
7. Turnbull*
8. Casals*
9. Fromholtz
10. Reid

·
25,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I wanted a make a further comment on Stevenson. She's obviously homophobic, and her mother is absolutely rabid on the subject. Sometime in the 1990s ( I think about 1995) the paper or publication Samantha Stevenson was writing for killed a story where she was going to "expose" lesbianism on the women's tour. Gay or straight, the women usually protect their own and close circles when they feel attacked. You have to wonder how much Samantha's views have influenced Alexandra and also how the negative reaction against Samantha spilled over to her daughter.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
but were there not a lot of pseudo lesbians?. I mean like in prison. you are all together and on the road no time to find a man so you take a woman as surrogate;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think Billie Jean King is bisexual. She was married for over 20 years, even staying with her husband long after the "outing" by a lesbian who was blackmailing BJK. Billie Jean also had a publicized abortion in 1971.

·
Registered
750 Posts
all this speculation about lesbians on tour. No mention of gay men. Why is that? arent there any?
I remember (false) rurours about agassi, but nothing else.....

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Hi Rollo

We were in London when Maria was 'outed'. Basically it was the trashy papers that ran sensationalistic headlines and pics on the front pages! I kept a copy but can't find it now amongst all the tennis junk! LOL. Although I shouldn't call in junk. ;)

Yes, your hunch about Maria & Darlene was right. I even have a video of their Wimbledon final in 1959 when Maria beat Darlene - and it is rather cute but funny... coz after the match Darlene kept planting kisses on Maria and grabbing her. The commentator made a funny comment about what a great sport Darlene was kissing her opponent after suffering a loss. But Darlene just kept right on kissing and grabbing Maria and after a couple of times you could tell Maria was getting uncomfortable!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
How about Conchita and Gigi alleged relationship and later Conchita and Patricia Tarabini??

Also, Anke Huber?? What about Andrei Medvedev and her went out for a while? are we saying this was a cover up?? hmm..i dont reckon.

I think Eleni Danilidou is a lesbian

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Hi Bello

Conchita went out with one of my friends for about 2 years or so... she was a doubles player on the tour (from Australia). That was in the mid-late 90s.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
bello said:
Also, Anke Huber?? What about Andrei Medvedev and her went out for a while? are we saying this was a cover up?? hmm..i dont reckon.
I forgot about that. Damn. :rolleyes: :)

Rollo said:
C'mon Hingis-Seles-the law of averages means there must be some gays on the men's tour.
That's true, but (and I know this is generalizing a lot) I think there are cultural differences which make gay men less likely to take up sport seriously than gay women, in the same way straight women are less likely to take up sport than straight men.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
35,763 Posts
Well Lisa Raymond and Rennae stubbs were a couple, and in the tourneys the didn't mind to show it...I think they stopped their doubles team when their relationship ended.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is a great thread Rollo - thanks for bumping it back into action. BTW I think the Australian player that Larry King was close to (see discussion earlier in thread) was Janet Young.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Roumor had it in the early 90s that there was a Graf/Rennae Stubbs relationship.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
steffi was rumoured to be in a relationship with half the world;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
What evidence does anyone have that Rennae is gay? She is not "out". Nobody can show me proof to confirm she's had a relationship with either Raymond or Graf. You guys put 2 & 2 together and come up with 5

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Because that seems to be the only relationship Graf had before this weird marriage with Agassi. Stubbs was together with Graf and later with Raymond.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
nobody can judge what any player did in her or his bedroom. outside when somebody was there;)

41 - 60 of 534 Posts