Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Steffi sure hasn't grown into her looks yet, but give her time'.
I said the same thing to people who insisted that Steffi was ugly. I pointed out that the girl was all arms, legs and nose and was way too skinny but when she "fills out" she will be beautiful. Her main asset back then were here fantastic blue eyes.

Well, I was right. She is absolutely beautiful now and incredibly sexy. Her blue eyes are still beautiful but her legs are her best asset now and she has lovely hair.

I'm just happy she never had surgery on her nose. It shows she is a confident woman.

As for the person who "made a pass" at her . . . I'm convinced it was Hana. But, I also believe Martina Nav. also made a pass at her earlier on. In fact, Peter Graf just about said as much in an interview.

I personally think all this talk about homosexuality on the womens' tour is exaggerated. Mostly by male sportswriters. Yes, there are gays and there always have been but they were never the majority. Plus, there are gay men on the tour but nobody seems to speculate about THEM.:mad:

I would like to read the books mentioned. Maybe I'll go to Amazon.com and see if I can get a copy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Martina Nav. never got endorsements because everybody knew she was lesbian even before she was outed. However, Billie Jean King suffered greatly when she was outed by her girlfriend. It's estimated that she lost over $2 million in endorsements at the time because she was very popular. She was doing all sorts of endorsements from hair dryers to vitamins. There was a special about that recently on one of the cable channels. Martina had nothing to lose by confirming her status but Billie Jean did.

·
25,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Martina had a lot to lose Esielwiess-in 1981 she wanted to become a US citizen and her sexuality was someting that could have gotten her deported, leaving her stateless.

When did Peter Graf say Martina made a pass at Steffi? It sounds like something he might say when he was drunk,which seems to have been quite often.

Considering the source (and Martina being such a rival) there can be no credibility to that story IMO. I believe that about as much I believe the old story that Graf and Renee Stubbs were an item.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ngelica gavaldon(1988,1995 australian open qurter-finalist) once said the lesbianism and stalkers are existent on the tour. I'll try to find the article

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
steffi's father said more stupid things in the early ninties
the spiegel who did research for a year, said her father did that so that he would keep control over her and so her brought gossip to this world himself
it never was made a big deal though(at least not in Germany who were everywhere and anywhere), since there was no truth about it at all!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts

:eek:
I don't know what Steffi this is, but she sure is hot!

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
:D :D :D :kiss:

This is not surprise for me

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Just a small correction, Gavaldon reached the 1990 and 1995 AO quarter finals. Interestingly enough, she too posed for some sexy photos not unlike that one of Steffi.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
irma said:
Steffi said in an interview that a famous female player tried to make avances on her when she(steffi) was very young. she also said that the player later married. I have my suspicious ideas, but that's speculation. For sure it's not Nav(since she didn't marry)
irma is right! I have also read this interview. I am not sure about the marrying part...

·
Banned
278 Posts
thank you for the interesting piece. it makes me wonder if mauresmo will be the last player to come out publicly.

·
Everything Fades Away
129,374 Posts
Didn´t Stevenson complain about some player making advances to her in the locker room at Wimbledon? :eek:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I think it was Samantha Stevenson who talked about it, and I think she also said something about Conchita (although probably not that).

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
she said that conchita walked naked through the lockerroom!

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
irma said:
she said that conchita walked naked through the lockerroom!
that has nothing to say. I used to play volleyball and we also walked naked through the lockerroom. that's normal. and I am not gay.
:wavey:

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
Rollo made a brief mention of Hard & Bueno. I was a little stunned when the legendary balletic Maria Bueno was sensationally outed in the 90s at Wimbledon. The top 10 in the 70s reads like a whos who in lesbian stars: King, Casals, Wade, Stove, Turnbull and then later Mandlikova, Jaeger and heaps more outside the top 10. I have a few close lesbian friends that played the tour in the 70s and 80s so they always have a few interesting stories.

I just wished there were some out guys on the tour. I think they would make great role models for young people who may be gay but are feeling scared, confused or isolated.

21 - 40 of 534 Posts