Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a question in a general knowledge test I took recently which was, "What's the highest Grand Slam in tennis?"

I could only think of 2 ways this could be determined.

Ranking Points and Prize money.

They all distribute equal ranking points but the US Open gives out the most prize money. They all have equal prestige, IMO.

But I still don't know which one is the "highest" Grand Slam.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
equal prestige? I thought wimbledon was number one without contest, followed by R-G?
I don't know what they could mean by "highest" either though.....

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
the #1 is Wimbledon

then it depends where you're from (most Europeans would rather win Roland Garros)
US Open / Roland Garros

last comes Australian Open (although its catching up fast and is the Fans #1)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't know much about their history but if one started a ;long time before the others then that is another way to determine the highest because time tends to add to prestige. wimbledon is always said to be the highest because of it's prestige but it depends on how you look at it. some players think winning their home grand slam is the biggest.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
Wimbledon would be the most prestigous,

The High Ettiquite, Mannerism and Historical Value that place holds far outweighs the US and AUS open, RG would be a close second.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Wimbledon is the most prestigious the first and original.

Us Open gives the most prize money by far, is the second biggest sporting event in America and has the biggets seating of any tennis faciltiy.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
US Open

New York City is an open air market for any drug you want, if you know where to ask.

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
and has the biggets seating of any tennis faciltiy.
I thought it was the Stadium at Indian Wells :confused:

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
the #1 is Wimbledon

then it depends where you're from (most Europeans would rather win Roland Garros)
US Open / Roland Garros

last comes Australian Open (although its catching up fast and is the Fans #1)
Does it not depend on where you come from in the first place? Or am I being bad here by mixing my ATP with my WTA? Because I can think of quite a few top ten players who put RG over Wimbledon... ATP that is.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
hingis-seles said:
There was a question in a general knowledge test I took recently which was, "What's the highest Grand Slam in tennis?"

I could only think of 2 ways this could be determined.

Ranking Points and Prize money.

They all distribute equal ranking points but the US Open gives out the most prize money. They all have equal prestige, IMO.

But I still don't know which one is the "highest" Grand Slam.
If we go with rankings points and prize monay we have to go with Usopen, which the Slam that pays more money.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Rothes said:
I thought it was the Stadium at Indian Wells :confused:
Indian Wells, is second. :)

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I'd say Wimbledon, French Open, Us Open, Australian

but then again it depends who you ask
some people dont play wimbledon becuase
1) they're retards
2) they cant play on grass

but if you ask players what GS they'd like to win most, most everyone would say Wimbledon, no con test

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
I believe this i shard to decide esspecially amongst the players as they all have different interest.

Some cant pla on grass at and thats the same with any other player n any given surface.

This is a hard topic to decide on personally id think it would be wimbledone then RG then close with Aus and US.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
mmcdonald said:
but then again it depends who you ask
some people dont play wimbledon becuase
1) they're retards
2) they cant play on grass
Or they were against the Wimbledon seeding system :)

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Isn't the US Open older than Wimbledon?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
nope

Wimbly started like 200 years ago

the us open started like 75 years later i believe

it was

Wimbledon
French
Us
Australian

in that order
and its kinda in that order of prestige

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
It really depends what you mean about "prestige". In Wimby there are usually only a handfull of players favoured to win the title, so i guess it's the hardest to win which makes in the most "prestige".

In RG you usually have like 10 clay court specielists favoured to win so it's probably the 2nd most "prestige".

In the USO you have around 20 players who can win it, which makes in the 3rd most "prestige"

In AO you have no favourites (apart from Andre), so it's the 4th most "prestige".

But in the WTA? They are completely equale, imo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts