Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Admin
66,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome :hatoff:
Feel free to come here and talk about whatever you want, in English obviously! :)

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,072 Posts
Re: The Gossip Thread for English speakers ( no politics, just fun :D)

:D
wonder if we have lot of talk in here
but i subscribe

·
Registered
11,631 Posts

My new car (first German one) :hearts:

Das Auto :D

·
Admin
66,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

and u like?
satisfied with it? :angel:

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Does anyone have any German movie recommendations? I think I've limited myself by looking at only English-language movies. :angel: Of course Nazi Germany is a significant part of history, but Hollywood only focuses on that and it's so trite. :shrug: (Goodbye Lenin! is one of my favorites.)

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Have you watched "The Lives of Others" (Das Leben der Anderen in German)? It's one of my favourite German movies and it also won a foreign language film oscar some years ago. It's also about German history but it's not about Nazis but about the life in East Germany and the monitoring of the citizens by the state.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
Just recently, I watched "Heute bin ich blond", a movie, that centers on a young girl with cancer. It was surprisingly good.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Does anyone have any German movie recommendations? I think I've limited myself by looking at only English-language movies. :angel: Of course Nazi Germany is a significant part of history, but Hollywood only focuses on that and it's so trite. :shrug: (Goodbye Lenin! is one of my favorites.)
If you liked Goodbye Lenin, you might be interested in a German tv series called Deutschland 83. It's available on DVD now in the US and it's also available to watch on Hulu Plus, if you have that. The plot is about an East German spy who infiltrates the West German army.

Another film which I found interesting was the The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008), which stars one of my favorite German actresses, Martina Gedeck. She was also in The Lives of Others, which like Poldo, is one of my favorite movies of all time.

And finally, there's another Martina Gedeck movie called Mostly Martha (2001) which is about a German chef and is one of my favorite foodie movies--the soundtrack is great as well!

What I like most about foreign films is that, for the most part, they do not have gigantic Hollywood budgets and therefore compensate by being very character-driven.

·
Registered
11,631 Posts
Thanks, all! I'll be occupied with these movies for awhile. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts