Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that since the summer hardcourt season starts a week from Monday, the pressure is going to be on ALL the Russians to see if they can win titles in North America, which if I am not miskten, they have not. Maria has to be considered a favorite to win the US Open, but if Venus and Serena start playing better, espcially Venus, who has the best summer hardcourt record since 2000, then don't be surprised if a Williams win the US Open,but we will just have to see.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sam L said:
Never had I looked more forward to the US Open. :mad:
Not only am I looking forward to the US Open, I am looking forward to the summer hardcourt season in America because we hear that the Russians are coming, but to me, they still have to prove that they are good enough to wins titles on all surfaces and they have not.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
So you see pressure on the Russians as the only good thing and a reason to be happy? :rolleyes: Maria dealt with the pressure today and Serena was extremely gracious in defeat. Why can't you do the same and say a good thing from today was a great perfromance from Maria and not that the Russians will have pressure next month.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
lizchris said:
that since the summer hardcourt season starts a week from Monday, the pressure is going to be on ALL the Russians to see if they can win titles in North America, which if I am not miskten, they have not. Maria has to be considered a favorite to win the US Open, but if Venus and Serena start playing better, espcially Venus, who has the best summer hardcourt record since 2000, then don't be surprised if a Williams win the US Open,but we will just have to see.
I agree. The pressure is going to be on Anastasia Myskina as well, who will want to re-establish herself as the #1 Russian.

Russians have now won 4 titles in a row (French Open, Birmingham, Eastbourne, and now Wimbledon). It will be interesting to see how they keep up.

Kuznetsova is next up at Bank of the West. It wll be interesting how that pans out. Also with Justine's return...I wonder how she feels about all this.

I think its a good sign Venus didn't show up. I think she's working hard back home to re-establish herself...come tommorow Serena will probably join her

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
The good thing is that it forces Serena to get better. She will be seething after this loss and probably work very hard to pick it up for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Venus will just lose in the first round to someone like Tatiana Golovin or Maria Vento-Kabchi like Venus has been doing for a year and a half. Venus has about as much chance to win the US Open as I do. Serena might make a fight and make the semis or something, but the era of a Williams consistently winning a major is well over.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
lizchris said:
How can you even say that maria would have to be considered a favorite to win US open, cmon winning Wimbledon which is entirely a different surface.

And Lizchris, can you just park this thread for at least a week for maria to celebrate the Wimbledon win.

·
Banned
199 Posts
the good thing about serena losing is the fact that sharapova is better

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
raquel said:
So you see pressure on the Russians as the only good thing and a reason to be happy? :rolleyes: Maria dealt with the pressure today and Serena was extremely gracious in defeat. Why can't you do the same and say a good thing from today was a great perfromance from Maria and not that the Russians will have pressure next month.
Yes, because two Grand Slam titles in one year for one country is good, but not impressive. Serena, Venus, Justine and Jennifer are the only players who have won multiple titles in one year and in the case of Justine, she has more Grand Slam titles on her own than the women of Russia currently has and there are only two Belgians in the top 50 while there are many Russians in the top 50. The media has been saying that the Russian women will take over and while the Grand Slam wins sare impressive, Myskina follwed up her Grand Slam win with a second round loss and it has yet to be seen what Maria will do when she plays her first tournament after today, but everybody will be looking for her to win.

BTW, I said in another thread that Maria deserved to win because she outplayed Serena so don't pull that not being gracious with me.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
mboyle said:
Venus will just lose in the first round to someone like Tatiana Golovin or Maria Vento-Kabchi like Venus has been doing for a year and a half. Venus has about as much chance to win the US Open as I do. Serena might make a fight and make the semis or something, but the era of a Williams consistently winning a major is well over.
:rolleyes:
If you didn't notice, Venus has a better record this year than both Serena and Sharapova. And both Serena and Venus has just as many if not more Grand Slam titles than she has titles.

And Lizchris, can you just park this thread for at least a week for maria to celebrate the Wimbledon win.
I agree , but as a Williams fan this is just too shocking

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Junex said:
How can you even say that maria would have to be considered a favorite to win US open, cmon winning Wimbledon which is entirely a different surface.

Why? You fucking morons would'nt have done it if Serena had won:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Pressure on the russians? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Every russian is thinking "if myskina and sharapova can do it, so can I!" It can only get better for the russians

·
Banned
199 Posts
i know

the pressure is on the willis cause everyone is starting to realize that they cant win a slam to save their lifes anymore

Reactions: newbee2004

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Junex said:

Because you know damn well that the media is going to say the same thing.:rolleyes:

Why should I pack it in. Had Serena won, all the fans of the other players would be complaining how Serena is back winning majors and the Williams family dominates Wimbledon.

·
Registered
24,162 Posts
SharapovaKixA$$ said:
i know

the pressure is on the willis cause everyone is starting to realize that they cant win a slam to save their lifes anymore
well this, i agree with. venus and serena combined have not not a slam in over a year, on a tour which many of their fans insist they "dominate". they have all the pressure at the us open, where corwds are actually on their side and where they had their parade and they need to prove that the sun hasn't set long ago.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Serendy Willick said:
Why? You fucking morons would'nt have done it if Serena had won:rolleyes:

will be sad for sure but will not be bitter and sour grape and calling names!

what a childish reaction to ones fave's defeat..pathetic.....

·
Registered
24,162 Posts
lizchris said:
Because you know damn well that the media is going to say the same thing.:rolleyes:

Why should I pack it in. Had Serena won, all the fans of the other players would be complaining how Serena is back winning majors and the Williams family dominates Wimbledon.
no, i would say "congrats, serena, you're back!"
and there would be congratulatory maria threads...
there wouldn't be YOUR type of threads that say "okay, great, serena won, but this is GRRAT for sharapova..."

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SharapovaKixA$$ said:
i know

At least they have won.

I know that there are Russian players named Elena D., Vera, Svetlana, Nadia, etc. who would give an appendage to have one of the Williams sisters' Grand Slam trophies. And not just in singles.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts