Tennis Forum banner

161 - 162 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Mark, I do think Gaby remained relatively close to #1 in the summer of 1991, yes.
So it was twice that year that she could have leapfrogged #2 and gone straight to number one had she won a few more matches in both Berlin and then 4 moths later in Los Angeles? Gaby was so frustrating to me...just another wonderful and exciting player in the vein of Goolagong and Mandlikova to me. I instantly loved her, thought she had an attractive game (no where near as beautiful and flowing, or as inventive as the other two, but she possessed all the shots in the book)...but no killer instinct and a tendency to fold when the going got tough. I would hold my breath when any match got tight when Gaby had to hit a second serve...and then breathe freely once she would be receiving in the following game. I doubt there have been many grand slam final showdowns that could match the sheer anxiety of her 1991 Wimbledon final versus Graf. Steffi was very, very unusually nervous, visibly so, and it was understandable given her lack of slam success over the past 18 months. And I understood Gaby being so nervous given the weight of the moment. But Steffi was still the favorite, still the two time champion in her fourth Wimbledon final. It was Gaby’s first, and sadly last, but I was so hoping she would be able to continue the recent trend, overcome those nerves and continue beating Graf. But, some of those serves looked like they would benefit from an Olympic curling brush swatting to and fro behind the ball to power them over the net. It was such high drama and so much fun. I thought we had oodles of Wimbledon finals to come given their ages (22 and 21). Oye Gaby!

161 - 162 of 162 Posts