Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because those tournaments make her work on her footwork. Serena's game usually goes up after clay season and her UE's go down. Her patience increases and her shot making and point construction improve. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Because those tournaments make her work on her footwork. Serena's game usually goes up after clay season and her UE's go down. Her patience increases and her shot making and point construction improve. Has anyone else noticed this?
I haven't noticed since I hadn't watched tennis consistently before the last time Serena's played on clay (barring the Charleston retirement). What you said sounds reasonable, but such a long layoff on the surface can't help either.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
Well she does whatever she needs to win. So normally on clay that means a lot of sliding and slugging it out working the points. She actually has a few games she bring to clay.

·
Rena's Army
35,201 Posts
yea that sounds reasonable...people who have the game usually get more patience after the clay season as it makes them think more so it then translates to the faster surfaces

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
surfaces are not a big deal for Serena

She's the best on every surface including clay

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.... erm, it really depends on how she goes into these tournaments, and how far she is willing
to adjust/compensate.
True, if she goes in unfit, injured , or unprepared it will not have as much of an impact. But I am thinking about 2002 and 2003. Clay helped Serena develop her angles. Those matches with justine and Jennifer are what made her an all court player. She generally will slide back into her 3 shot attack because it works and forget about manuvering her opponent. But on clay her all court games rise to the fore and generally carries over not only to Wimbledon but the summer season as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts