Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Most of the nations in Fed Cup have one cannon and a few pea shooters. The Czech Rep, Russia, and the USA being the exceptions.
So, can Barty carry the whole country on her back? Can Barty carry the emotional load, or will her back break? The FO win should help her.
-
With a $20 ticket price and kids get in free, they should have a full house for the final.

·
Registered
8,490 Posts
What an occasion for Barty to play in front of a home crowd after winning her first Slam. I'm sure they'll have a full-house and a very exciting environment.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Surprised they are not holding it in Brisbane after the success last time and the fact that it's Ash's hometown.

They could probably even hold it at Ken Rosewall arena now given that it's the final so they could probably fill it up (or come close), and Ash plays so well there (2 consecutive Sydney finals).

Hopefully there's space for Sharma on the team!

·
Registered
777 Posts
The question is:

who is Australia's 2nd singles player?
If Stosur has a good summer hardcourts swing, I’d go with her. Otherwise I’d just go with with whichever of Birrell or Gavrilova is in form.

Tomljanović doesn’t seem to be in the mix, so I am assuming that the ITF rejected her appeal against being cap-tied to Croatia.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Surprised they are not holding it in Brisbane after the success last time and the fact that it's Ash's hometown.
I expect it’s partially with an eye to TV ratings. In summer, Perth is 3 hours behind the east coast which means afternoon matches are prime time viewing for the bulk of the population.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If Stosur has a good summer hardcourts swing, I’d go with her. Otherwise I’d just go with with whichever of Birrell or Gavrilova is in form.
That's neither.

Tomljanović doesn’t seem to be in the mix, so I am assuming that the ITF rejected her appeal against being cap-tied to Croatia.
AFAIK Tomljanovic is ineligible.

Hence the question. If Stosur fails, then who? Sharma (just lost to Mladenovic)? Hon?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Sam shouldn’t play singles in Australia. At all.

Is Tomljanovic still playing for Australia or not?

·
Registered
115,529 Posts
French have a good doubles team so its important they beat the 2nd singles player
Then if it goes to doubles, it should be a very interesting final. We had a few that went to the doubles

·
Registered
12,091 Posts
Sharma?

·
63,661 Posts
French have a good doubles team so its important they beat the 2nd singles player
Then if it goes to doubles, it should be a very interesting final. We had a few that went to the doubles
Stosur is undefeated in doubles ;)

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
quite a difficult choice.

Gavrilova is in terrible form and could implode under pressure but has beaten both Garcia and Mladenovic in the past. The others I have no idea though I have seen a bit of Sharma from that clay run she had.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts