Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bad news guys, maria has withdrawn from fed cup and charleston due to her hamstring and a shoulder injury... which is new news to me but she said she's had it since hong kong back in january!!!

check out her official site for all the info...

the next time we'll see her is rome, hopefully...

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
when I read this---first post in "what's wrong with maria?", I wondered.

The problem was her serve, than Serena's returns. Serena returns well, but even she can't keep breaking a good server. Apart from the DFs, Maria's serve was weak and didn't dominate the points as it needed to - or normally does. She was serving first serves at 90 mph and average 97 - a bit different from the 117 she was managing at the USO and at times in Oz. even against venus her serve was much better, up to 115 at times, and averaging 105. No wonder they were hiot back with interest.

So what is the matter with maria's serve. Injury, yips, or what????

So---in a way----this is not completely bad news---if it is a physical thing which can be fixed.

·
Writer of Stuff
8,734 Posts
I knew it wasn't right. In OZ, I knew from her first match against Pin that her serve was off--10 mph on average at least. No one wanted to believe it, but if you watched T&S, it was obvious. All through the AO. When I saw the reruns of Hong Kong after that, I was convinced. It was not the same Maria as at the tail end of 2006. At no point in 2007 has she served remotely the way she is able. Some matches were better (or worse) than others, but even when she was serving better, still, way too much inconsistency to be "Maria".

This is actually good news, as far as I'm concerned. Not that Maria is hurt, obviously. I hope she recoveres quickly and completely. But it should be piece of mind for all concerned about her that this is not the real Maria Sharapova we've been seeing. Tough and gritty, good enough to beat all but a few, but obviously hurt.

Sad that Maria will not be able to represent Russia in Fed Cup--I am sure Goldenlox et al will have a field day with that one--but better that she take the time to get well and not do damage that will be irreparable. I've said before that I believe Maria is managed well--scheduling, doctors, etc. Now I am sure of it. They could have let her play and ruin her career. Fortunately, they didn't.

Get well, Masha, and know that your fans believe in you 150%.

·
Registered
10,056 Posts
I knew it wasn't right. In OZ, I knew from her first match against Pin that her serve was off--10 mph on average at least. No one wanted to believe it, but if you watched T&S, it was obvious. All through the AO. When I saw the reruns of Hong Kong after that, I was convinced. It was not the same Maria as at the tail end of 2006. At no point in 2007 has she served remotely the way she is able. Some matches were better (or worse) than others, but even when she was serving better, still, way too much inconsistency to be "Maria".

This is actually good news, as far as I'm concerned. Not that Maria is hurt, obviously. I hope she recoveres quickly and completely. But it should be piece of mind for all concerned about her that this is not the real Maria Sharapova we've been seeing. Tough and gritty, good enough to beat all but a few, but obviously hurt.

Sad that Maria will not be able to represent Russia in Fed Cup--I am sure Goldenlox et al will have a field day with that one--but better that she take the time to get well and not do damage that will be irreparable. I've said before that I believe Maria is managed well--scheduling, doctors, etc. Now I am sure of it. They could have let her play and ruin her career. Fortunately, they didn't.

Get well, Masha, and know that your fans believe in you 150%.
Great post - I agree with everything you've said :)

Get well soon, Maria :awww: :hug:

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Yeah. it was obvious. But a lot of people didn't notice her serve was so off in pace as well as accuracy - which suggests an injury.

Hope she makes a quick recovery.

But Mikey - I don't like the thread title. it's so negative.

·
Donna DOnna DOonnaaa
9,977 Posts
i was waiting so much for her fed cup debut :sobbing:
i hope she'll get well soon

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I think Masha is making the right move withdrawing. I had a feeling that there something wrong with her physically. I hope she gets well soon and returns injury free. :hearts:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well I'm glad that we finally know whats wrong with her but sad that she won't be playing for a while. But i prefer her taking the time that she needs off and coming back 100% rather than continue to see her struggle. Get well soon Masha! :hug:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
:awww: Masha... :hug: get better soon...

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
I haven't wanted to talk a lot about my injuries, but I'm afraid it has become obvious that I am having some problems with my right shoulder and left hamstring. I hurt my shoulder right before I started playing in Hong Kong, and kept hoping that I could work through it. I was told by doctors I had pretty severe inflammation, but decided to give it a shot. I think the anti-inflams and treatment helped me get through H.K and Australia. Unfortunately, my shoulder hasn't been able to be normal on its own, without the medicine.

My doctors have a positive outlook, despite telling me I cannot play for a while. They said I must drop out of the next two events, but they are confident that, with five or six weeks of rest, I will be ready for the next events. I am especially bummed about the Fed Cup, as I was looking forward to playing in Moscow, and representing my country in a team environment for the first time. I will be speaking with the Russian Federation soon about future matches. The Family Circle Cup is always a great event, and a tournament I look forward to competing in again.

It's difficult for me to take time off from tennis, but the first thing is my health and that's something that I have made a big priority in my career. I can only look forward to getting back on the court ASAP. Thanks, as always, for your support.
:sobbing: why didnt she just pull out of Tokyo and IW :shrug: :crying2:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Perhaps huge appearance fees are involved Dan. Maria should not have been playing injured. Now her confidence is ruined and she needs some time off to recover from her injuries.

·
Registered
32,778 Posts
Perhaps huge appearance fees are involved Dan. Maria should not have been playing injured. Now her confidence is ruined and she needs some time off to recover from her injuries.
Yeah im sure thats what it is (esp for Japan)...now shes left with hardly any more ranking points than she would have had if she'd skipped tournaments and another ruined lead up to RG and Wimbledon

·
Premium Member
28,302 Posts
Well at least we know whats been behind all her problems. I hope this break will do the trick and she will come back healthy and refreshed. Its been a really tough start to the season for her but Im sure she will bounce back from this and plus she does have points to defend for a while. Get well soon Masha.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Downward spiral? Nah. :p
It's a tough time for sure, but it's not like Maria hasn't gone through rough patches before. Could be a bumpy ride for a while, but Maria ain't tough as nails for nothin. We all saw how she played at the USO. She'll be back at that level, given time to heal and regain her confidence. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
28,302 Posts
I actually think it might help Maria to have this break and refresh not only her body but her mind. She seems like she just needs some time away to collect her game and her thoughts and when she is ready to come back she will come back strongly.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
oh this is really starting to be a nightmare of a start of the year for Maria and for us, her fans. :crying2: :sobbing: :tears: It's just so dissapointing how things could turn so quickly. She was playing so well at the end of last year and she had arguably her best year. This sucks. But we've known something was up since the start of the year. Hopefully with this long break, she gets to completely heal and gets to sort out everything that needs sorting out. Rest that mind and body and get that confidence up up up.

I just want this tennis nightmare to end quickly! Maria, you better win Wimbledon or the USO this year! :( ;)

Fed Cup without Maria again. :sad: This would have been the best debut as it would be against a beatable team. I think the next maybe the US? :unsure:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts