Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm new here, although I have been reading these boards for a while now. The Sampras match with the moths setting off the Cyclops machine got me thinking. If a simple moth can set off the machine, it seems that a ball landing half on the line and half in the cyclops area would set it off, also. Does anyone know exactly how the machine works? Just wondering... :)

Anyway, a little bit about me... I love Monica (obviously by my username) but I am also a fan of Kim, Lindsay and just tennis in general. I'm excited to finally start posting here, it's great seeing so many people coming here to cheer their faves!

Go Monica tonight!!!!!!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I heard that the Cyclops machine is to be removed from competition and a full scale research and design investigation will be made into why it has so many shortcomings and failures.

That was a "bloke down the pub" comment though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Joey :D

I always thought the cyclops was very questionable as a reliable serve caller, and when I saw that moths can set it off, that just made me wonder even more. IMO they should just use mac cams on all lines with a monitor on the umpire's chair, i don't care how much it costs... it would cut down on the problems immensely.

·
Banned
692 Posts
Very good Idea. Even tohugh it may cost a bomb it is well worth it. then having to stop everytime its triggered by a stupid moth.. They did use that in the past but umpires, linesman were very unccurate> and inconsistent

M

·
0 Posts
I reckon they should actually have a human line judge with one eye, and he has a built in "beep" facility in his voicebox. That'd work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts