Tennis Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Game 315: A Song for Sharapova

My Song: Suspiria - The Frozen Ones

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song that reflects how we feel about Sharapova. Hard one, cause I do not have outspoken feelings towards Sharapova. So I went through my list of songs and thought this fantastic song of one of my all-time fav bands is suitable. Sharapova has always giving me the image of a cool, calculative player without any emotions. Not sure if she is tbh... So I thought the title of this song was fitting (although I do not think the lyrics of the song actually are).Oh a bit more about the band. They only made two albums in the 90s. The singer largely disappeared after that (couldn't cope with the success they had, even if it was only as a goth band). But man, those two albums are of the best there is to find in my record collection.

Semi-Final Result: 15th

5: SoBizarre
4: SRB Analyst
3: Crux Squall, histery
2: Silent Bird, SilverPersian
1: Poltergeist, resident_bizarre

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 114-43

Conclusion: I know I was in for a hard ride, but dead last with 27 points (35 points behind the last but one) is just harsh. Oh well, your loss.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Game 316: Hidden Gems

My Song: Lushes - Feastin

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song that we thought most people have never heard before. I could have easily picked a goth or Flemish song, but I found that to be a bit obvious. Therefore, I went with this fantastic song. I got to know them through a Flemish radio show and do not think they are overly popular even in the indie/postrock world. They actually played a great version of this song live in the studio, but that would perhaps have given away that it was my song. Here it is though.

Semi-Final Result: 13th

12: SoBizarre
10: Number19, SilverPersian
8: histery, Hugues Daniel, Lord Choc Ice
7: Beat
6: SRB Analyst
3: Adam, Boreas, Musatafina, Shvedbarilescu
2: Fortitude, MrPeanutButter, Perun
1: Leif, zvonarevarulz

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 114-44

Conclusion: expected SF exit. I'm not too sad since it was a great game, I got some high points from kindred spirits, and there was no sign of anyone knowing the song.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Game 317: Pizzazz!

My Song: Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man - Tom the Model

Reason to Pick the Song: we neededn to pick a song that oozes vitality and glamour. Not an easy one. In the end, I went for this song of Beth Gibbons and Rustin Man (former member of Talk Talk). Beth has a kind of mysterious glamour aura about her that I really like.

Semi-Final Result: 2nd

12: aerosmash, Fortitude, wayitis
10: Beat, TennisFan102, Utautai
8: JMG, Laurent Moy
7: Adam, Number19, Shvedbarilescu
6: AdeyC, histery, Mauriac, Mustafina
5: Poldo, Silent Bird
4: Lord Choc Ice, SilverPersian, zvonarevarulz
3: Boreas, Sammo
1: Matmagix

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 115-44

Final Result: 4th

8: Beat, Fortitude, TennisFan102, Laurent Moy, aerosmash
7: Utautai, SilverPersian
6: Number19, DropShotAce, histery
5: AdeyC, JMG
4: Mauriac
3: Adam, Sammo
2: Mustafina, Silent Bird, zvonarevarulz, Lord Choc Ice
1: Poldo, Boreas, Shvedbarilescu

Conclusion: decent result. Many players gave the song points, but not high enough (no double digit points in the final!) to get on the podium.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
Game 318: A Song for Self-Isolation

My Song: Minuit Machine - Alienation

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to find a song for these corona times (or a song that makes us happy in these days). Cold wave is a perfect genre for these times we live in lol.I already sent some songs that are perfect (De Brassers, Lebanon Hanover), but I still had this great song up my sleeve from a French cold wave band.

Semi-Final Result: 14th
10: Litotes
8: wayitis
7: Laurent Moy
5: Adam, Boreas, Fortitude, histery, Poldo
4: AdeyC, Beat, Lord Choc Ice, SRB Analyst
3: Queen Vika, SilverPersian
1: Pierre.

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 114-45

Conclusion: disappointed to not reach the final. My cold wave songs usually make the final and this is perhaps even a bit more radio-friendly than the others.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Game 319: Just for Laughs

My song: Die Doraus und die Marinas - Fred vom Jupiter

Reason to Pick the Song: the title was all we had, but there had been talk in the BSG thread about having a theme to get us through these corona times. So something funny was expected. I had this cult new wave classic on my list for ages but always chickened out of sending it in 'normal' games. So this is the perfect theme for it. The song always cracks me up. And that video :D

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: Beat, Lord Choc Ice
10: JMG, TennisFan102
8: Boreas, histery, Mustafina, Shvedbarilescu
7: Poldo
6: aerosmash, Number19
5: Mauriac
4: Adam, DropShotAce, Silent Bird, wayitis, zvonarevarulz
2: Perun
1: Litotes

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 115-45

Final Result: 5th

12: Beat
10: N.M.
8: TennisFan102, histery, Lord Choc Ice, Shvedbarilescu
7: Boreas, Mustafina
6: Poldo
4: aerosmash
3: wayitis, SRB Analyst, Number19
1: Adam, Litotes

Comments

DropShotAce: At first looks like a weird song and not funny enough, BUT after the second listening I like it! Makes me get drunk and dance laughing... I think It's a good thing...
Mustafina: Love the moody vocals with the lo-fi, new wave sound. The chorus is such an earworm.
Beat:
Andreas Dorau was 17 y.o. when this song was a hit :eek:

Conclusion: 5th is a pretty decent result. And high points from Shved in a humor game :eek: :D

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Game 320: Top of The Pops

My Song: Suede - So Young

Reason to Pick the song: we needed to pick an artist that has been on Top of the Pops. I like to do better, so I wanted to pick an actual TOTP performance. going through my list I stumbled on this suede song I've long forgotten (but there is another Suede song on my list). Decided to send it as I like the performance a lot.

Semi-Final Result: 7th

12: Beat, Boreas, JMG
10: Lord Choc Ice
8: Laurent Moy
6: DropShotAce
5: histery
4: Adam, AdeyC, Poldo, zvonarevarulz
3: Fortitude, Queen Vika
2: Litotes, Shvedbarilescu
1: Number19

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 116-45

Final Result: 15th

10: JMG, Boreas
7: Lord Choc Ice
5: histery, Laurent Moy
2: Poldo, SilverPersian, DropShotAce
1: Fortitude

Comments

Lord Choc Ice: Funnily enough I just discovered Suede yesterday. They're solid, I'm sure to become a fan.
The Crow was a bit surprised: First two albums were great; afterwards they became okay-ish.
As was DropShotAce: Wow... This surprised me... How old are you? They are a well known worldwide famous band😕
Beat answered to The Crow: i personally also like the bernard butler-less (and quite polished) "coming up".
Lord Choc Ice: I guess we think of fame differently. I definitely wouldn't call them household name level.

Conclusion: You just know Suede's not a BSG band, but 15th is appalling really.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Game 321: Playing on Repeat

My Song: Greg Dulli - Sempre

Reason to Pick the Song: needeed to pick a song that we have played on repeat the last few days. I never do that, so this was a hard one 😅 I did the next best thing: picked a song of a recent album I like a lot. Greg Dulli's new one is pretty great, so went with this song.

Semi-Final Result: 15th

12: Number19
4: Beat, DropShotAce
3: Laurent Moy, Poldo, Queen Vika, zvonarevarulz
2: Adam
1: bud887, Lord Choc Ice, Pierre., Potapovian, Sammo

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 116-46

Comments

Beat: i didn’t know greg had a new album out. his voice sounds kinda shot, doesn’t it?

Conclusion: Dead last. With quite a margin. I knew it was an uphill battle, but this is cruel. And the one comment comes from Beat mentioning that he didn't know Greg had a new album out while I've been raving about it in What Band 😭

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Game 322: For the Birds

My Song: Public Image Ltd - Albatross

Reason to Pick the Song: we had to pick a song with a bird in the tile (or some bird sounds in the song or birds present in the clip). I directly thought of my favourite PIL song. I hesitated a bit because I already sent a PIL song to the post punk game (in fact I didn't want to send Albatross then because it's not post-punk enough in my opinion). This is as new-wave as Johnny Rotten can get. I love this kind of brewing songs. The song just goes on and on (with that great Jah Wobble bass) which is perfect to lose oneself in (especially at the dance floor).

Semi-Final Result: 7th

12: AdeyC, Shvedbarilescu
10: Beat, JMG, Mustafina
8: Mauriac
7: Number19
6: Boreas, DropShotAce, Silent Bird
5: wayitis
3: SilverPersian
2: danyal123, goOudinUSA

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 117-46

Final Result: 10th

10: AdeyC, Shvedbarilescu, TennisFan102
8: histery, Mauriac
7: Beat, JMG
5: wayitis, Number19
4: DropShotAce, Silent Bird
3: danyal123
2: Mustafina, Boreas

Comments

The Crow: Oh oh, twice two songs with the same title. Poor Adey.
The Crow: Albatrosses rule!
DropShotAce: I like the dark sound and the great bass. A bit too long...
Perun: Albatros of Public Image Ltd. got to be one of the most repetitive songs that I've witness among the plethora of similar ones.

Conclusion: There were two albatross songs submitted and obviously the other one (a Foals song) won the game lol. But 10th is a decent result for this type of song, I guess. Oh and @Perun, repetitiveness is what this song is all about lol. It makes it one of the most beautiful songs of the 80s ♥

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #271 (Edited)
Game 313: Like a Version

My Song: David Bowie feat. Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias - The Man Who Sold the World (live at Saturday Night Live)

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a cover version or live version of a song. I had the perfect song. This song was recorded for the Saturday Night Live Show and had Bowie performing (and performing is the correct word here!) live together with New York artists Klaus Nomi and Joey Arias. The performance summarizes everything I like about Bowie: great songs, pop songs even, but all created within a world of himself and definitely not just to sell records. The input of Nomi and Arias is great too, but is even better (and more fun) in TVC15 that was also performed on that same show. Unfortunately I couldn't find a youtube version of that one or I would have sent that one. You can find the performance (and Boys Keep Swinging as well) here for those who are interested:
The pink poodle lol

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: ArturJFC, Beat, SRB Analyst
10: Perun
8: JMG, Queen Vika, TennisFan102
7: DropShotAce, Litotes
6: bud887, Shvedbarilescu, wayitis
5: Matmagix, Number19, Silent Bird
4: Adam, histery, Laurent Moy, Lord Choc Ice, Mustafina
2: eck
1: Pierre., SilverPersian

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 118-46

Final Result: 13th

10: SRB Analyst, ArturJFC
7: JMG
6: Laurent Moy, DropShotAce
5: Matmagix, Litotes
4: wayitis
2: SilverPersian, Number19, Shvedbarilescu
1: TennisFan102, Mustafina, Lord Choc Ice

Comments

DuaZeepa: it will probably get some points?
SRB Analyst: In that second semi, I only care for David Bowie... We also know that drug addict Kurt Cobain won with that song, but David Bowie is the first one who sang it. A meaningful song, it would have been atrocious if Bowie does not win, but Cobain with his version from MTV won it, FFS.

Conclusion: This is a sad day for pop music. Not only did this classic Bowie song (and performance!) not get into the top 10 (I wonder whether it was the song or the performance that people disliked?) but there was more talk about Dua Lipa, Florence and The Machine and Adele (who wasn't even in the game!) FFS than about Bowie. Oh well, perhaps I am getting too old.

·
***** Emeritus
41,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Game 314: Unusual Instruments

My Song: Jambinai - Sun.Tears.Red

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song with an usual instruments (there was to be an instrument in the song that was not in a given set). First I thought about Qntal, as the lead musician plays all kinds of medieval instruments. But the synth was always a bit too prevalent so I went with Jambinai instead. Jambinai combines traditional Korean folk instruments with guitars. I saw them live last year and especially this song made a big impression. Not their easiest song to digest, but ok.

Semi-Final Result: 12th

12: Laurent Moy, SilverPersian
8: JMG, Matmagix
6: SRB Analyst
5: Beat, cuckoo, Fortitude, Potapovian
4: DuaZeepa
2: Adam, Mauriac, wayitis
1: Mustafina, Perun

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 118-47

Comments

JMG: I was looking forward to this game to see if someone would nominate Jambinai. I already nominated the two best Jambinai songs, absolutely epic songs. Hopefully someone will nominate one of their calmer songs soon. I have the geomungo player in my avatar on MTF.

Conclusion: I should have nominated one of their calmer song, as JMG mentioned. Still love my entry.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts