Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 309 Posts

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Game 303: Last Day of the World

My Song: Project Pitchfork - Good Night Death

Reason to Pick the Song: a song that you captures your mood when you know it's the last day of the world. You just know I will send a goth song for a game like this :D I decided on something a bit industrial as those are perfect to 'capture my mood' in said scenario. I had this recent track of an old cult band Project Pitchfork on my list and I thought the lyrics were perfect! I'm usually not a big fan of them but this is a great song! Of course, chances of qualifying which such a song are slim at best.

Semi-Final Result: 16th

10: Litotes
8: Boreas, Latvian, Matmagix
5: Perun
2: Laurent Moy

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 105-40

Comments

The Crow: The Gathering and She Past Away following eachother ♥ And Project Pitchfork not much before that, yay! :D
Beat: project pitchfork, while probably more "real", are not much better. i cringed at the lyrics and the german accent.

Conclusion: Expected result. I'm glad it's the last day of the world. Good Night Death, motherfuckers!

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Game 304: 2019

My Song: Portland - Killer's Mind

Reason to Pick the Song: yearly 'best of the/last year' game. Usually I pick a song from one of the best albums of the year. So I first went with a Xiu Xiu song, becuase their album was the best of the year for me. However, the songs on that album do not really work as single songs. At time of this game, I also heard this Portland song a lot on Belgian radio, so I switched, thinking that this song is a more BSG-friendly song.

Semi-Final Result: 9th

12: Laurent Moy, zvonarevarulz
10: Boreas, Fortitude, Latvian
8; Litotes
7: DropShotAce
6: Random Run
5: JMG, Mustafina, SRB Analyst
3: Number19, Perun
2: histery, Silent Bird, SilverPersian
1: Javi, Leif, Shvedbarilescu

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 106-40

Final Result: 20th

12: Laurent Moy
6: Fortitude, Litotes
2: Number19, Mustafina, JMG
1: Leif

Comments

resident_bizarre: bad
Silent Bird: just is

Conclusion[/b]: Bad choice to change my song. Better to go out in the semi with a bold pick than be 20th in final with a safe pick. Anyway, the song is even more pop than I imagined if I see who voted for it in the semi. It didn't help either that the songs of people who liked it went out en masse in the semi, hence a couple of people who liked it not voting in the final :(

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Game 305: By the Fire

My Song: Lambchop - This Corrosion

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to find a 'chill' song that you would listen to by a fire. Pretty difficult theme for me. I had Marissa Nadler ass an option, but in the end I wend with the cover of this legendary Sisters of Mercy song. I hated it at first listen, but it has grown on me big time. Needless to say that I wouldn't have given a second chance if it wasn't a Sisters cover ;) I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Lambchop.

Semi-Final Result: 2nd

12: Adam, DropShotAce, Mustafina, Shvedbarilescu
10: Beat, Mauriac, Random Run
7: histery, SilverPersian, wayitis
5: AdeyC, Perun
3: Litotes, Number19
2: Latvian
1: JMG

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 107-40

Final Result: 6th

12: Adam, Leif
10: Random Run
8: Mauriac, Shvedbarilescu
7: Beat, Mustafina
6: Litotes
2: AdeyC, Perun, SilverPersian, TennisFan102

Comments

Beat: what's with all the cover versions? curious to hear what joris thinks of "this corrosion".
The Crow had to answer: Well it can't beat the original version, can it?
Mustafina: I looove Lambchop and this song showcases everything I love about them. Always brooding, casual yet completely in control. Almost boring but utterly beguiling. The perfect late-night music for me. In case you're not aware, this is a cover of some weird goth pop song.
The Crow had to respond again: :hysteric: It's one of the best songs of one of the best bands out there :hysteric:
And The Crow tried to cover up his tracks a bit more answering Beat again: I can answer this a bit better now. At first I found it extremely boring and lame, but it has grown on me big time. Still, as said, it can't beat the "weird goth pop" original version.
And replied to Mustafina again as well :rolleyes:: Oh but, @Mustafina, I see you posted the short version. You really should listen to the full 11-minute album version :devilish:
Silent Bird hated all this attention for my song: Lambchop's song was one of the weakest in the game
Perun: I have little respect for those who came up with covers for this game or in general, for me it is so ... unoriginal. And it makes me suspect it's a cop-out ... as in I like this song but ...oh no ... it's already been used so why not go with a cover of it? Lol.

Conclusion: decent result. Sorry for fooling you, Beat (did I, in fact, fool you?).

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Game 306: Chaos

My Song: Clair Obscur - Froh

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to find a song that oozes chaos. In a way the opposite game of the previous one. I thought this would be easy, but I found it difficult to find a good song. There's always some order in a song. In the end, I went with this Clair Obscur song because it's a bit all over the place, also with the different languages (with that cute but oh so bad English in the middle).

Semi-Final Result: 7th

12: Perun, wayitis
10: aerosmash
8: Beat
7: Silent Bird
6: Mustafina
5: Laurent Moy, Litotes, Shvedbarilescu, TennisFan102
3: histery, Leif
2: Matmagix, SilverPersian, SRB Analyst
1: DropShotAce, Latvian, Number19, Random Run

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 108-40

Final Result: 6th

12: Perun, wayitis
7: Adam
6: Mauriac, resident_bizarre
5: Shvedbarilescu
4: Laurent Moy, Mustafina
3: DropShotAce, SilverPersian
2: Silent Bird, TennisFan102, Matmagix, histery
1: Litotes

Conclusion: Pretty pleased with the result. This was also a very nice game and JMG sent Einsturzende Neubauten which is probably the most chaotic band I know. Well done!

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Game 307: Debut

My song: deus - Hotellounge (Be the Death of Me)

Reason to Pick the song: Beat requested to send a song of a debut album of a band/artist. Great game! Usually I think debut albums are the best (but I guess it's just me getting a bit tired of the band, cause when I missed a debut album of a band and hear another album first I think that is their best album ;)). Anyway, I first wanted to send a song from The Cure's Three Imaginary Boys, but refrained from doing this since (a) it's not The Cure's best album and (b) Robert smith didn't like that the record company decided on what songs to put on the album (from then on, he wanted complete control of the album making process). A lot of other great debut albums out there, but I decided to go with deus' Worst Case Scenario album. At first, I wanted to send their most known song Suds and Soda, but in the end I went with the masterpiece from that album: Hotellounge.

Semi-Final Result: 13th

8: Perun
7: Fortitude
6: TennisFan102
5: Silent Bird, SilverPersian
4: Shvedbarilescu, wayitis
3: Adam, Latvian, Number19, Random Run
2: Matmagix, Mauriac
1: Beat, JMG, Litotes, Lord Choc Ice

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 108-41

Comments

Fortitude: I spotted Joris' song. ?
Fortitude: Really liked SF1. Besides Martha I especially enjoyed Sitting Bull (I'm always a sucker for nice guitars), beautiful voiced Phoebe Snow and dEUS.

Conclusion: this is truly disappointing. I really wish I hadn't sent this masterpiece. Pearls before swine ?

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Whether the debut album is the best or not is an interesting question. Let me see, for my ten most listened to artists.....no, yes, no, no, no, no, no, they only had one, no. I guess I'm more a later development kind of guy.

·
Registered
20,027 Posts
You should've sent The Cure, Joris. :p

Reactions: The Crow

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
BSG 308: I Can Hear Smiles

My Song:

Reason to Pick the Song: Shved gave a lengthy explanation of the theme which cam down to (in my words and understanding): pick a song where the musicians clearly have fun playing together. I went for this Toundra song, because I once saw them live and they seem to have so much fun jamming together. Great gig btw! First I wanted to pick a real live version, but quality of all the vids on youtube was not to great. So I went for this 'studio live' version. Oh and an added bonus for picking this song? Everyone would think it's Perun's entry ;)

Semi Final Result: 13th (and dead last)

10: Mauriac
7: Litotes
6: Nyumber19
4: Laurent Moy
3: histery, Lord Choc Ice
2: DropShotAce, TennisFan102
1: AdeyC, Beat

Comments

Beat: these spanish men do look a little gloomy jamming out. but i guess that’s not surprising for a peroon pick ;)

Conclusion: Dead last in the semi? Really? Oh well, their loss. But maybe I should have sent a real live version like this one:

Oh and in the end, Perun didn't even play this game ?

·
Registered
20,027 Posts
Joris, I found this gem! Extended version of your entry "Hypnotic Tango". ;)

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Nice! That game was one of the few I actually had to search for something myself. Still a great discovery!

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Game 309: Open Game

My Song: Low - Poor sucker

Reason to Pick the Song: always difficult on deciding what to pick in open games. On my list, I have ample songs; some are on there because they could fit a certain theme, others not so much. But in the end you want to pick a song that is somewhat special/different in open games. In this one, I decided to go for this Low song from their last album. Not a typical Low song because it's a bit synth heavier than usual. On the other hand that brewing sound of Low is definitely still present. Great song!

Semi-Final Result: 8th

12: SilverPersian
8: Lord Choc Ice, Mauriac
7: Fortitude, Random Run
6: Adam, Beat, Boreas, JMG
5: AdeyC, Number19, resident_bizarre
4: aerosmash
2: histery, SRB Analyst
1: DropShotAce

Final Result: 18th

10: Litotes
7: SilverPersian, Random Run
6: Fortitude, Mauriac
4: JMG
3: Beat
2: Number19
1: aerosmash

Comments

The Crow: wow, Low going a bit goth as well? Apparently from their last album, which didn't make that much of an impression on me. Should reconsider.
SRB analyst: it sucks nowadays

Conclusion: SRB Analyst sends a Low song -> wins! The Crow sends a Low song -> 18th! ?

·
Registered
20,027 Posts
Intriguing, I don't know what to say, Joris. This game is so unpredictable. My dream pop entry finished first, while your goth entry finished 18th. Have no idea... Keep trying. But it's very weird. Imagine SB sending the songs by artists he truly likes, his song did not make the final. Someone else nominates the same artist, the player gets Top 10, even a Top 3 place. Lol

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Game 310: The 10s

My Song: Marissa Nadler - Skyscraper

Reason to Pick the Song: We needed to pick a song from the 2010-2019 era of an artist that was never nominated before. To be big surprise, one of my recent fav singers, Marissa Nadler was never nominated before. Skyscraper is a magnificent song, although it's a bit too slow (and a bit too "uneventful") for BSG.

Semi-Final Result: 5th

12: histery, Mauriac
10: Beat, Boreas
8: Litotes, Number19, SRB Analyst
7: JMG, zvonarevarulz
6: Adam, AdeyC, Shvedbarilescu, TennisFan102
4: Matmagix, Random Run

Final Result: 10th

10: Mauriac, histery, Boreas
8: Litotes
7: Beat
6: Adam
4: JMG, Number19, Shvedbarilescu
3: SilverPersian
2: AdeyC, zvonarevarulz, TennisFan102, resident_bizarre

Comments

Silent Bird: Marissa Nadler, Timber Timbre. Were they really not nominated before? Can someone check?

Conclusion: Expected lovers of my song, expected haters as well :yawn: Oh well, as long as I love the songs I send....

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
I told you you'd likely get points from me, even if I had no idea which song was yours.

Thanks for the 12, btw :)

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Game 311: Going North

My Song: Melissa Auf der Maur - 1000 Years

Reason to Pick the Song: We needed to pick a song of one of them Northern countries (Russia, Baltics, Scandinavian, Mongolia, Canada, Alsaka, even Scotland). Recently I've been listening to my Melissa Auf der Maur record which I hadn't done in ages. And what do you know, she's Canadian :D

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: Beat, Number19
10: Laurent Moy, Mauriac, Perun
8: SilverPersian
7: aerosmash, Litotes
6: histery, Mustafina
5: JMG
4: Random Run
2: TIEFSEE, wayitis

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 111-42

Final Result: 11th

10: Laurent Moy, Number19
7: Mauriac
6: SilverPersian, Litotes
5: Adam
3: wayitis, Mustafina
2: aerosmash, JMG
1: Random Run

Comments

SRB Analyst: Melissa Auf der Maur... people are not bored of those yawns? I am!

Conclusion: A vote from Perun in the final could have gotten me in top 10. About to be expected result. But I'm glad I rediscovered Melissa!

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
Game 312: Open

My Song: Jah Wobble - How Much Are They?

Reason to Pick the Song: Open game. Always difficult as there are still so many great songs out there. I decided to go for a "new wave classic" (although it's on the border of new wave I guess). Jah Wobble was in Pil for the first couple of albums and I've always liked this chaotic song of him.

Semi-Final Result: 6th

12: JMG, Sammo
10: DropShotAce
8: Shvedbarilescu
7: Litotes, Random Run
6: Beat, SilverPersian
5: Mauriac, Number19, Utautai
4: Boreas
2: Fortitude, Silent Bird
1: zvonarevarulz

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 112-42

Final Result: 11th

10: Sammo
7: SilverPersian, TennisFan102, JMG
6: Random Run
5: Beat, Utautai, Silent Bird
3: Adam, Litotes, Shvedbarilescu, Mauriac
2: Number19, aerosmash
1: wayitis, TIEFSEE

Comments

Beat: "How Much Are They?" is a Jah Wobble collaboration with Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit from 1981, so maybe they should be credited as well. i found a version by jah wobble's invaders of the heart on spotify, but it sounds very different, definitely not as good as the submitted version.
The Crow answered: Haven't listened to this game yet, so I don't know which version was submitted. I've always seen it credited as Jah Wobble's (alone), so I'm interested whether the submitted version is the one I know.
Beat again:
This is the album cover of the submitted version, which is also displayed in the youtube clip:

At which point The Crow gave in: Oh ok lol. Yes, I guess it should be changed then.
The Crow: as said, I know this song quite well, but never knew it was a cooperation with Can members. Maybe that's because I've never heard of Can before one of their songs was submitted in here a couple of games ago?
JMG: Jah Wobble is somewhat enjoyable, a nice surprise.

Conclusion: Expected a top 10; enough people gave my song points, but not enough high-pointers. Otoh, it was a great game, so I don't mind too much. And I learned something new about my submitted song lol. Thanks Beat.

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
Game 313: Thirteen Tracks

My Song: Intergalactic Lovers - Islands

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song from an album with 13 tracks. Only a few songs from my list satisfied that criterium and I chose this song from a Belgian band. It's not one of my fav songs but it is pleasant enough and maybe some of the pop lovers would have a nice discovery with this song.

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: JMG, Mauriac
8: aerosmash, Laurent Moy, wayitis
7: DropShotAce, TIEFSEE
6: Adam, AdeyC, SilverPersian
5: SRB Analyst
4: Matmagix, Shvedbarilescu, Utautai
3: Fortitude
2: Number19, Sammo
1: Beat

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 113-42

Final Result: 7th

12: JMG
10: Mauriac
8: TennisFan102
7: histery
6: aerosmash, Laurent Moy
5: SilverPersian, DropShotAce
3: AdeyC, Adam, Matmagix
2: Utautai
1: wayitis

Comments

Adam checked eligibility: (from the album Little Heavy Burdens) - 13 tracks
Shvedbarilescu: But of the songs I wasn't familiar with the 2 that have made the best early impressions (and early impressions can change - by that I don't suggest I am likely to turn against these songs but there might be others that I find I appreciate as well) are Intergalactic Lovers' "Islands" and Laura Marling's "Strange". Never heard of Intergalactic Lovers before.

Conclusion: I think it is my first 7th place! Yay! In the end, it weren't the poptards that liked my song lol :D And Shved getting my hopes up again :cautious:

·
***** Emeritus
42,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
Game 314: In da House

My song: A Split Seconde - Flesh (33rpm+8pitch)

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song in the House genre. Not my cup of tea. At all. Every song I know about that genre is just plainly bad. I searched a bit in the acid house genre but didn't find anything good there either. Hoever, I have been listening to some songs in the New Beat genre. This was a genre which was popular in Belgium at the end of the 80s and is sometimes seen as a subgenre of house. The version of the song I sent is actutally the start of this genre. Legend goes that a famous Belgian DJ played this 45 rpm at 33 rpm or something. The original song is an EBM song. Now that is a genre I like, so I decided to send this. However, I was not sure at all whether people would find it a house song. Oh btw this is the original version (which I like better):

Finals Made - Semi-Final Exits: 114-42

Final Result: 15th

10: Beat, Litotes
8: Utautai
5: resident_bizarre
4: histery
2:aerosmash

Conclusion: 15th in a 18-player field lol. No talk about my song either. But all in all, an enjoyable game.

241 - 260 of 309 Posts