Tennis Forum banner

221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Yeah, Ex Eye is really cool.

Colin Stetson is the saxophonist, which is how I found them.

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Game 290: Side Dish

My Song: Karl Hyde and Matthew Herbert - We All Hurt

Reason to Pick the Song: Beat required us to pick an artist that is better known for something else. I decided to pick this song from an album that accompanies a play written by a.o. Karl Hyde, one of the members of Underworld. I really like that album, but I'm not entirely sure if a single song works. Also, I'm not really an Underworld fan :eek:h:

Final Result: 13th

12: Beat
7: SRB Analyst
5: Utautai, Perun
4: AdeyC, Number19
2: TennisFan102

Comments

Utautai: I know Matthew Herbert worked with Roisin Murphy for her album Ruby Blue :cool: :dance:
Beat: Karl Hyde and Matthew Herbert -> Underworld / Matthew Herbert works under lots of pseudonyms

Conclusion: 13th of just 19 entries is a bit disappointing, but perhaps to be expected. Glad I've sent it though; I like things that are a bit different.

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Game 291: The Parent Trap

My Song: Cock Robin - The Promise You Made

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song one of our parents like. My folks are not really into music (although the radio is always playing). But I once bought my mum a Cock Robin album, so that's why I picked this one.

Semi-Final Result: 7th

10: Beat, bud887, Fortitude
8: Matmagix, Queen Vika
7: Perun
6: Randy, SilverPersian
4: AdeyC, Laurent Moy, Sammo
3: Litotes, SRB Analyst
2: aerosmash, De Lay, Haleptard, Number19

Final Result: 10th

12: bud887
10: Beat
7: Fortitude, Matmagix, Queen Vika
6: DropShotAce, Sam L
5: Boreas
2: Utautai

Comments

bud887: I'm obsessed with Falsa Moneda and The Promise You Made right now.
Fortitude: Cock Robin getting good points from me.
The Crow: I love my mum and all but this is one of these rare games where my song is not the best one :eek:h:

Conclusion: Now, what can one say with a 10th place result? Yay? Meh?

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Game 292: Open Game

My Song: B-52s - Planet Claire

Reason to Pick the Song: I'm not a big B-52s fan, probably because I only know their bigger hits from the 80s. However, I discovered this song only a month ago (really!) and absolutely loved it. I think it's from one of their early albums (debut album end 70s?). So I'll have to have a listen to early B52s albums one of these days.

Semi-Final Result: 1st

12: Beat, Javi, Number19, skinnylegend
10: AdeyC
8: DropShotAce, Laurent Moy, SRB Analyst
7: De Lay, Matmagix
6: histery, Perun, Utautai
5: JMG
4: Litotes
3: ArturJFC, fortitude
2: Adam, aerosmash

Final Result: 16th

12: Javi
10: Beat
8: Number19
7: AdeyC
4: Matmagix
3: SRB Analyst
2: Utautai, De Lay
1: JMG, Perun

Comments

Number19: :dance:
Matmagix: This B-52s song instrumental is lovely. I must enquire, did they borrow off the Peter Gunn theme? I almost swear I've heard it before in a Blues Brother scene.

Conclusion: really disappointed with 16th place for such a good fresh song (even if it's ancient). Also, from 1st to 16th? :confused: I guess getting a lot of 6-7s in SF in such small games really hurts in finals. skinnylegend and Laurent Moy not voting in the final didn't help either :mad:

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Game 293: Overwhelming Wall of Sound

My Song: De Brassers - En toen was er niets meer

Reason to Pick the Song: fufu just gave a title and left the rest for interpretation. I thought this Brassers song as appropriate as that bass line together with the drums/guitars/voice build up a great wall of sound. Also, the lyrics are pretty nihilistic (title roughly translates to 'And then everything was gone'). This in combination with the sound makes for a great experience on the dance floor.

Semi-Final Result: 5th

12: JMG
10: Fortitude, Number19
8: comfortable numb, TennisFan102
7: histery
6: Sam L
5: SRB Analyst
4: AdeyC, ArturJFC, Perun
3: Adam
1: Leif, Mauriac

Final Result: 8th

12: JMG
10: TennisFan102
7: Number19, comfortably numb, histery, SRB Analyst
6: Fortitude, Beat
5: Perun
2: Sam L

Comments

JMG: De Brassers is a perfect song to play in a dark cave/basement club. Who does not enjoy this type of bassline? Are they still active? Other bands from that era recently played in my local cave, like Siglo XX or NDW bands.

Conslusion: Happy this got in top 10. Didn't expect that at all. Expected the usuals to like it, but didn't expect middle/high points from for instance Fortitude. But maybe it's just the language :eek:h:

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Game 294: Mathematician

My Song: Alt-J - Tessellate

Reason to Pick the song: great theme: song names with mathematics terms in it :D Unfortunately, later, simple numbers were allowed as well :tape: Anyway, I had this Alt-J song from their phenomenal debut album on my list for a long time. Also Alt-J is used to type a capital Delta, which is a great mathematical symbol :drool:

Semi-Final Result: 2nd

12: histery, Sam L
10: Fortitude
8: De Lay, JMG, Matmagix, SilverPersian
7: Adam, SRB Analyst
6: Beat, Litotes, Mauriac, Perun
3: AdeyC
2: Boreas, Shvedbarilescu

Final Result: 5th

12: ArturJFC
10: Fortitude, histery, Sam L, De Lay
8: Matmagix, Mauriac
6: JMG
4: SilverPersian
3: SRB Analyst
2: Beat, Adam

Conclusion: this is the type of song that you can have a shot at the win with but could flop terribly as well, depending on BSG's mood ;) Top 5 is errr a bit of a mundane outcome? Oh and :hug:mad:Fortitude, he wanted to send the song as well.

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Game 295: Stupid Intelligence

My Song: Desperate Journalist - Hollow

Semi-Final Result: 3rd

12: Perun
10: AdeyC, Boreas, Mauriac
8: DropShotAce, Number19
7: Adam, Beat, Laurent Moy, Litotes
6: aerosmash, Fortitude
5: JMG, Leif
3: Shvedbarilescu

Final Result: 4th

10: Boreas
7: Adey C, Number19, Mauriac, Adam
6: TennisFan102
5: Sammo, JMG
4: Laurent Moy
3: Beat
2: Matmagix, Sam L, Litotes, aerosmash
1: Fortitude

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song that references intelligence or lack thereof in the title. I thought 'Hollow' could be seen as referencing thickness, although the song itself seems to be about something else. I wasn't completely satisfied with that explanation, but didn't find a better song. I was pretty sure to have some comments about eligibility of my song.

Conslusion: To my surprise, no comments about eligibility of my song, although mine was clearly the most farfetched :eek: Ended 4th which is what I expected (it's catchy enough to end up high but too catchy to be a winner).

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Game 296: Red for Filth

My Song: Whale - Hobo Humpin Slobo Babe

Reason to Pick the Song: confusing explanation of the theme (at least to me), but I understood we had to pick either a trashy song or a song with the word red in it. You knew beforehand a red song would win, but I couldn't find a good one. So I went with this epic Whale song, which to me has always been a bit of a trashy song in the rocky 90s scene. Also, that video clip is hilariously trashy!

Semi-Final Result: 3rd

12: Shvedbarilescu
10: Litotes, Matmagix, Number19
8: Beat, bud887, Sam L
7: Laurent Moy
6: AdeyC
5: Fortitude
4: JMG
2: aerosmash
1: Mauriac

Final Result: 3rd

12: TennisFan102, Silent Bird
10: Shvedbarilescu, Matmagix
8: Number19, Litotes
7: Beat, Laurent Moy, Sam L
3: Haleptard
2: Fortitude, bud887, aerosmash
1: AdeyC

Conclusion: 3rd with Hobo Humpin Slobo Babe? :lol: It was a very strange game though (and not a very good one). But I'll gladly take it :D Good points from the likes of Silent Bird, Shved and Matt who I do not consistently see eye to eye to (musically). And a bit of a surprise they like this type of song.

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
Just FYI, that video clip was enough to win Whale the MTV Europe Music Award for best video in 1994. I don't remember who they beat.

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Game 297: Whan I Rule the World

My Song: A Brand - Hammerhead

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to submit a song that makes us feel on top of the world. I already nominated quite some songs like that, Zita Swoon's The Bananaqueen being the ultimate 'makes you feel good about yourself' kinda song. I had some other options (songs that make crowds go wild at concerts are perfect songs for this game too) but in the end I went with this funny, uplifting song of a Belgian band that had shortlived success somewhere at the beginning of this century. Great song, but so not BSG material (like The Bananaqueen, that one was disliked all over the place too ;)).

Semi-Final Result: 9th

12; Laurent Moy, Matmagix
10: comfortably numb
8: Fortitude, JMG
7: De Lay
5: SilverPersian
4: histery, TennisFan102
2: Beat
1: aerosmash

Final Result: 15th

12: Matmagix, Laurent Moy
8: comfortably numb
7: Fortitude
6: Silent Bird
5: JMG
3: aerosmash
2: TennisFan102

Conclusion: I'm ok with 15th. I didn't receive points from the first 6-7 voters, so I feared the worst, but two 12s make everything ok (that's one 12 more than the winning song :tape: ).

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Game 298: Autumn

My Song: Elysian Fields - Cities Will Fall

Reason to Pick the song: songs that reference or make you think of autumn. Since autumn is the season of decay for me, I thought this Elysian Fields song has a nice autumnly feel to it.

Semi-Final Result: 8th

10: Beat, histery
8: Mustafina, Shvedbarilescu
7: SilverPersian
6: aerosmash, De Lay
5: DropShotAce, Laurent Moy, Number19
3: Haleptard
2: N.M., Sam L
1: Boreas, Litotes, SRB Analyst

Final Result: 9th

10: Silent Bird
8: Beat
7: histery, Shvedbarilescu
6: TennisFan102, SilverPersian
4: Laurent Moy
3: SRB Analyst, DropShotAce
2: Haleptard, Mauriac
1: Number19

Comments

The Crow: depressing much :hysteric: This sounds like a good version of a Cigarettes after Sex song.
N.M.: (EF is cool too, i just don't think i'm so big on slowcore)

Conclusion: hoped for a slightly better result (although I could have been out in the semis, so 9th in the final is not too bad considering). But it made me rediscover Elysian Fields which is a good thing!

·
Registered
35,545 Posts
i was just so happy to finally see elysian field in the game … i think for the first time? i thought about sending them on a few occassions, but it never worked out.

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
i was just so happy to finally see elysian field in the game … i think for the first time? i thought about sending them on a few occassions, but it never worked out.
Yes, I had that song on my list for a long time as well. And I only sent it to this game for lack of more suitable songs ;)

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Game 299: The Sixties

My Song: The Clique - Superman

Reason to Pick the Song: 60s? :hysteric: Had no idea what to send until N.M. give me a rep with the message that I should send the original of Tainted Love. First, I had no idea Soft Cell's version was not the original and second I did not particularly like the original. However, she did give me an idea and I went looking for 80s songs that were covers from a 60s song. The best song I discovered was this original of REM's Superman, so I sent that.

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: histery, SilverPersian
10: Matmagix, Mauriac, Random Run, Silent Bird
8: Lord Choc Ice, N.M., Whitlinger Jones
7: Fortitude
6: Litotes
5: Beat, Boreas
3: JMG, Shvedbarilescu
1: Laurent Moy, Number19, SRB Analyst

Final Result: 8th

10: Silent Bird, histery, N.M., Matmagix
7: Mauriac, Lord Choc Ice
6: SilverPersian
4: Perun
3: Fortitude, Whitlinger Jones
2: Beat, Litotes
1: DropShotAce

Comments

Silent Bird: Amazing how this made me think of the Tongan devotional music - spiritual choirs can be very psychedelic. Anyway, The Clique were a “sunshine pop” band from Texas. REM covered this song, which confirms the greatness of both bands.

Conclusion: 9th is an ok result, but in the end a song won from the one 60s album I actually own (Velvet Underground banana one) :lol: Although I would probably have picked a song of that album that barely qualified; I'm no Adam :sad:

·
***** Emeritus
40,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Game 300

My Song: Great Lake Swimmers - Let's Trade Skins

Reason to Pick the Song: Game 300 :bounce: special game! Everyone received 3 previous categories and had to pick a song that fitted in at least one category. Normally I try to pick a song that fits all categories in such cases, but this time it was not possible: I got two non-overlapping geographical ones ;) Canada and ... Jamaica :lol: (Don't like Jamaica, oh no, I fuckin hate her, musicwise that is :eek:h: ). Anyway, Canada it was. But I already sent my fav Canadian band (The Hip :bounce: ). So I went searching and I found a number of other bands I never knew they were Canadian :eek: One was Great Lake Swimmers, who have the frontman with the best voice ever! :hearts: So I decided to send a song by them. I chose a lesser known song (although I'm not sure if anyone in BSG had ever heard of them to start with lol). I was pretty sure that this would suck big time, as this is not BSG-friendly music at all, but hey, YOLO.

Semi-Final Result: 10th

10: Fortitude, Haleptard
8: histery, Javi
7l SilverPersian
6: John, Mauriac, Milan, Shvedbarilescu
5: Boreas, Igorche, James, Matmagix
4: DropShotAce
3: AdeyC, Laurent Moy, Litotes, Silent Bird
2: Number19
1: aerosmash, JMG, Lord Choc Ice, Random Run, TennisFan102

Comments

N.M.: not bad for a generic indie song
Lord Choc Ice: OK background music, I mean that nicely, feels made for an epic love scene.

Conclusion: Expected result. First SF exit in a long long time (but that streak only occurred because of a small number of players in recent games).

221 - 238 of 238 Posts