Tennis Forum banner

201 - 220 of 256 Posts

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Game 276: Dance Music

My Song: And One - Metal Hammer

Reason to Pick the Song: for this game, we needed to pick a song you can dance to. IMO you can dance to almost all music, so I didn't really get the restriction. Anyway, decided to pick a song I liked to dance to and then I end up with Industrial/EBM songs fairly quickly. I had some options, but decided to go with this dancefloor classic. I was pretty sure it would not get into the final (even with the low numbers of participants as of late) but yolo.

Semi-Final Result: 10th

10: Lord Choc Ice, Perun
8: ArturJFC
7: Beat, Matmagix
5: aerosmash, to paradise.
4: AdeyC, bud887, drg, histery, Random Run, wayitis
2: DropShotAce, Laurent Moy
1: Litotes, Number19, Silent Bird

Final Result: 20th

6: Beat
3: ArturJFC
2: Matmagix
1: AdeyC

Conclusions: Well, I did get into the final, but 12 points in that final :spit: Thanks Beat, Artur, Matt and Adey :lol:

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Game 277: Drumless

My Song: I Break Horses - Heart to Know

Reason to Pick the Song: needed to send a song without drums. Not easy, but I had this great song on my list that I discovered through a great radio show where I also discovered things like Grouper, Silver Mt Zion, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono, True Widow, ... :hearts: I love the brooding atmosphere in the song.

Semi-Final Result: 7th

12: SilverPersian
8: AdeyC, Beat, Number19
6: Random Run, TennisFan102, wayitis, Whitlinger Jones
5: Litotes, Silent Bird
4: Fortitude, Laurent Moy, Sam L, zvonarevarulz
3: Perun

Final Result: 12th

12: wayitis, SilverPersian
8: Number19, Perun
7: AdeyC
6: Adam
3: Whitlinger Jones
1: Beat, Random Run

Conclusion: couple of high points so I hope I made some people discover a nice song.

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Game 278: I Am a Camera

My Song: Peter Murphy - I've Got a Miniature Secret Camera

Reason to Pick the Song: Random Run gave some quote from a famous book (I've never heard of before :tape: ) and asked to send a song inspired by that quote. It was about a camera and due to complete lack of inspiration I picked the first song with the word camera in :eek: Not my favourite Peter Murphy song by any means. But hey, I once ended up on the podium with a New Order song I didn't care too much about either, so who knows.

Final Result: 10th

8: AdeyC
7: TennisFan102, ArturJFC
5: Beat
4: Litotes
3: Adam
2: aerosmash
1: DropShotAce

Comments

Random Run: Another self-explanatory one title-wise. The lyrics are much weirder, though.

Conclusion: nothing much to conclude lol.

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Game 279: In Harmony

My Song: Girls in Hawaii - Casper

Reason to Pick the Song: my own game! I love voices blending together so I came up with a theme where a substantial part of the song has to be sung by multiple voices simultaneously. I used Snow Patrol feat Martha Wainwright's Set the Fire to the Third Bar as an example as I love this song specifically for the voices of Martha and the Snow Patrol's guy blending together (that song was unfortunately already picked or it would have definitely been my song for this game). I did not have a song ready for this theme and it turned out pretty difficult to find a good song. In the end I went for a Girls in Hawaii song as they have two frontmen, who most of the time sing together in their songs. In the end I went for Casper as one of the guys starts singing and the other one blends in later in the song, which I absolutely love.

Semi-Final Result: 1st

12: Silent Bird
10: Adam, Fortitude, Litiotes
8: Boreas, Mauriac, Random Run, TennisFan102
7: Laurent Moy, Matmagix
6: AdeyC, Beat, Perun
5: DropShotAce
3: Sam L
2: Number19

Final Result: 1st

10: Random Run, histery
8: Silent Bird, Fortitude, Litotes
7: ArturJFC
6: Beat, TennisFan102, Adam
5: Boreas
3: Laurent Moy, Mauriac
2: AdeyC
1: Matmagix

Conclusion: I won my own game :eek: :D This is by far my most surprising win; also, during the voting ceremony, my song was somewhere in the middle for most of the time, only going to 2nd place a couple of voters for the end and snatching the win by votes of the last voter (Mauriac gave only 3 measly points to my song, but no points to the competition). Number 2 and 3 trailed by 1 point and 2 points in the end :eek: Happy that I've won with a Belgian band now!

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Game 280: Solum Metallum

My song: Ministry - Just One Fix

Reason to Pick the Song: Perun finally picked his metal theme :D I feared a lot of melodic entries (not that I do not like that, but in a pure metal game I would love a bit of the more extreme bands/songs). I wanted something else, and I quickly ended up with Ministry. They are the pioneers of a more industrial sound in metal. Their album ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ (or also "Psalm 69: The Way to Succeed and the Way to Suck Eggs") is a classic (and bloody awesome) album. My favourite song is Psalm 69, but I evaluated as a bit too melodic for what I wanted to send :angel: Therefore, I went with the classic song Just One Fix. That energy! :rocker2:

Final Result: 5th

10: Beat, Number19, Laurent Moy, Adam
8: Fortitude
3: SRB Analyst, Matmagix
2: AdeyC, DropShotAce
1: TennisFan102, Litotes, aerosmash

Conclusion: Never expected a top 5 placing with this song. But a record low number of participants (as expected). And I was right about the melodic entries. In the end a folk song won lol (well okay, it really was epic I guess ;)).

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Game 281: Summer Road Trip

My Song: D.D Dumbo - Tropical Oceans

Reason to Pick the Song: zvonarevarulz wanted us to pick a song perfect for road trips (hair in the winf, crank up the volume). I had this perfect haunting song on my list by an Australian artist D.D Dumbo. The title has tropical in it, which is a plus ;)

Semi-Final Score: 1st

12: Fortitude, histery, Silent Bird
10: Beat, Random Run
8: zvonarevarulz
7: AdeyC
6: DropShotAce, Javi, Lord Choc Ice, Perun, Sam L
5: Boreas, SRB Analyst
4: bud887, Litotes, SilverPersian
3: aerosmash
1: Number19

Final Score: 8th

12: histery
10: Fortitude
7: Silent Bird, Random Run, Adam
6: Beat, Sam L
5: zvonarevarulz
4: AdeyC, aerosmash
2: Javi, Perun
1: SRB Analyst

Comments

The Crow: Australian guy, eh? Trying to decide whether this is an Adam or a Matt song ;)
Silent Bird: D D Dumbo has been on my list forever. Saw him at Pitchfork Paris in 2014

Conclusion: 8th is pretty decent, but miffed that I dropped down from first in the semi. Exchanging 12s with histery in the final of this game, so he's now my official road trip buddy!

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Game 282: The 90's

My Song: Magnapop - Lay It Down

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a 90s song. Simple. Lay it Down is one of those typical 90s songs for me.

Semi-Final Result: 3rd

12: JMG, Laurent Moy
10: Fortitude
7: Boreas, Mauriac, Number19
5: AdeyC, aerosmash, DropShotAce, Random Run
4: Beat, Matmagix
2: Silent Bird
1: Adam, Perun

Final Result: 19th

12: Laurent Moy
6: JMG, Fortitude, Mauriac
4: Number19, Boreas
1: aerosmash, histery

Comments

Perun: Why all this forgettable obscurities like Magnapop instead of songs like this where talent & musicality shines through and etches its way through your brain?
The Crow had to respond: Not sure why you single out Magnapop cause that's a 90s classic, but yeah, I'd have liked a bit more Alice in Chains like songs.
And Perun did as well: Magnapop is not my type of classic (cheesy pop rock that is disposable for me, blah), or any type of classic as I am convinced that I've never listened to it before - needless to say, coming across it here has not changed my life in the slightest. :p Not exactly a good background type of music either as it actively puts me off.

Conclusion: really disappointed with my final result. As said, for me this is a 90s classic and seeing it slayn like this ...

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Game 283: Open

My Song: Eliot Sumner - Information

Reason to Pick the Theme: I got to pick the theme :D Although I like themes much more than open games I decided to go with the latter for a change because of (a) declining number of participants, (b) summer time and (c) the theme I had in mind is too complicated :eek: When picking a song, I went through my list and went for the song I thought had a good chance of winning.

Semi-Final Result: 10th

8: Igorche
7: Fortitude, Laurent Moy, Litotes
6: aerosmash, Mauriac, Sam L, zvonarevarulz
5: AdeyC
4: Number19
3: Perun, SRB Analyst
2: Beat, Javi, Lord Choc Ice
1: Silent Bird, TennisFan102

Final Result: 17th

8: Igorche
7: Laurent Moy
6: histery
5: TennisFan102
4: Fortitude, Litotes
3: Boreas, Mauriac
2: Sam L
1: Number19, aerosmash

Comments

The Crow: Eliot Sumner's the daughter of Sting, right? This song is better than most of what I know from him.

Conclusion: "went for the song I thought had a good chance of winning." he said :spit:

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Game 285: Oceania

My Song: Kane Strang - Oh So You're Off I See

Reason to Pick the Song: We needed to pick a song form Oceania. I didn't want to pick an Australian song, so you end up with New Zealand. I had this Kane Strang song on my list for a long time, but discovered now that he was from New Zealand. I have no idea how I got to know Kane Strang or this song tbh, but I love it and it's perfect for this game.

Semi-Final Result: 6th

12: Laurent Moy, Perun, Queen Vika
10: Beat, histery
7: Sam L, SRB Analyst
6: JMG, Number19
4: Lord Choc Ice
3: aerosmash, Matmagix, Silent Bird
2: skinnylegend

Final Result: 11th

10: TennisFan102
8: Queen Vika
7: Beat, Laurent Moy
6: AdeyC, SRB Analyst
5: Boreas
4: Sam L
1: Silent Bird, Number19

Comments

SRB Analyst: nice song
skinnylegend: Nope. Indie usually isn't my taste and this is the same.

Conclusion: 11th is pretty decent for a male indie track lol.

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Game 286: Funeral & Mourning

My Song: Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

Reason to Pick the Song: SRB Analyst dedicated this game to a relative that died recently :hug: We needed to pick a song that expresses mourning, farewell, ... Bela Lugosi's Dead was the first song that came to mind, but I hesitated a long time of sending it because I feared that, although it's about someone's dead (actor Bela Lugosi), it isn't your typical mourning song. I was especially unsure whether SRB Analyst would find this song appropriate. Because of lack of other good songs, I sent it anyway.

Semi-Final Result: 4th

12: Mauriac, SRB Analyst
10: AdeyC
8: Laurent Moy, Parun
7: Matmagix, Number19, Silent Bird, SilverPersian, skinnylegend
6: aerosmash
5: Beat
4: Litotes
3: Lord Choc Ice, Queen Vika
1: Sam L

Final Result: 2nd

12: Mauriac, histery
8: AdeyC, Perun, skinnylegend
7: SRB Analyst, Laurent Moy
6: Number19, Matmagix
5: SilverPersian
4: Queen Vika, Silent Bird
3: Litotes
2: Beat, aerosmash

Comments

skinnylegend: Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten, Supermarket Flowers, The Letter, Bela Lugosi's Dead, The Rains of Castamere, Fall to Pieces, R.I.P. Screw, Starmaker, Carry Me Ohio, Good Day, Estranha Forma de Vida, Heart Moving, All Those Years Ago, Here with Me, Terrence Loves You, and the Strauss selection (ESPECIALLY the Strauss selection and Lana and Heart Moving) are all incredible. :hearts:
SRB Analyst: The song I was waiting for to be nominated. Dark, long, evoking the life of Bela Lugosi. Fantastic entry.
Mauriac: I can't believe that Bela Lugosi's Dead hasn't been nominated before.
The Crow tried to put everyone on the wrong path: Seriously? I would never have dared to send it myself, too weird. Not sure what has already been submitted by Bauhaus, but there's some songs that stand a better chance imo (She's in Parties, Passion of Lovers, ...)
Mauriac bought it: I would say it's not that high on the weirdness scale. :shrug:
Matmagix responded to that last remark: Though he (Pete) once sang it upside down in Coachella. That was kinda cool.
And Perun: This. I don't get what is so weird in that to be honest either. Save for some who have been sheltered in the world of Phil Collins, Aerosmith and Taylor Swift
And I couldn't help myself: About the Bauhaus song: maybe I expressed myself badly. I mean that Bauhaus typically makes non-radio-friendly songs (even for a new wave band), although there are a couple of exceptions (the songs I mentioned). They played Bauhaus a lot at new wave and goth parties I used to go to but I am usually unable to dance to them because of the changes in pace etc... It was frustrating most of the time.

Conclusion: I was so happy I sent this song afterall after SRB Analyst's review :D Happy with second as well, did not expect this at all. Too bad I did not know about that live version Matmagix posted; otherwise I would definitely have sent that one. Great performance.

·
Registered
12,113 Posts
I hope you realize that my thoughts upon seeing this song nominated was "likely The Crow" and upon seeing your comment "definitely The Crow". Not sure what has been nominated by Bauhaus? You expect anyone to believe that? ;)

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I hope you realize that my thoughts upon seeing this song nominated was "likely The Crow" and upon seeing your comment "definitely The Crow". Not sure what has been nominated by Bauhaus? You expect anyone to believe that? ;)
I got Mauriac, didn't I? ;)

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Game 287: Previously Un-nominated - Vol. 6

My Song: Madou - Niets is voor altijd

Reason to Pick the Song: We needed to pick an artist that was never nominated before. Being Flemish that's not too hard; I can always just pick a local artist ;) I did this time. Madou has a bit of a cult status in Flanders and I've always loved this song. It's so rich. But it's always hard to predict how such a local song will do in this game.

12: Random Run, TennisFan102
10: SilverPersian
8: aerosmash, Beat, Boreas, Fortitude, Silent Bird, skinnylegend
7: comfortably numb
6: JMG
5: SRB Analyst, stromatolite
3: Litotes
2: Sam L
1: Leif, Number19

Final: 3rd

12: SilverPersian, TennisFan102
10: Beat
8: Fortitude
7: aerosmash, Boreas
6: skinnylegend, JMG, Laurent Moy
5: stromatolite, Silent Bird, comfortably numb
2: SRB Analyst

Conclusion: Happy with a podium finish and a couple of odd one outs that liked my song for a change.

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Game 288: Go Play Your Video Game

My Song: Front Line Assembly - Deathmatch

Reason to Pick the Song: we needed to pick a song featured in a video game. I have a song on my list for a video game for a long time, but it has not actually featured in a video game as far as I know (it's a song about a video game) :eek: Back to square one. I was not going to play until I found this FLA song in one of the lists submitted by the theme chooser. Normally, FLA is a bit too clinical and industrial for my taste, but I like this song and I see that it can work for a video game.

10: AdeyC, Perun
8: Beat, skinnylegend
4: SRB Analyst, Hanan Ubis
3: aerosmash

Comments

SRB analyst: :yeah:
Hanan Ubis: A fervent, propelling representation of anger

Conclusion: expected a top 10 placing, but good to see some liked it.

·
***** Emeritus
41,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Game 289: Scrabble's Most Wanted

My Song: Ex Eye - Xenolith; the Anvil

Reason to Pick the Song: We needed to submit a song of which the title starts with a J, Q, X, or Z (the letters that are worth the most in scrabble). I only had this one song on my list that fitted. This is from last year, I think. Not sure how I discovered it, but I liked the whole album right away. The last couple of years I started to like this kind of instrumental (post)rock music. Not sure at all whether it can do well in BSG.

12: Adam, Beat
10: JMG, Number19
6: aerosmash, Laurent Moy
5: Litotes, SilverPersian, SRB Analyst
4: ArturJFC, Perun, Queen Vika, TennisFan102
3: Silent Bird
1: Boreas, skinnylegend

12: Adam
10: Number19, Matmagix
7: Beat, JMG
6: AdeyC
3: De Lay
2: Litotes
1: Perun, Mauriac

Comments

The Crow: I love this, but it feels a bit like cheating since it's an instrumental. Not sure about this group, but Mogwai typically has the most absurd song titles not meaning anything really.

Conclusion: 12th is not too bad considering a lot of well-known songs were submitted (two Bowie songs for instance).

·
Registered
19,456 Posts
I really enjoyed this Scrabble pick. Different from many of the others.

201 - 220 of 256 Posts