Registered
32,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bounce:

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am doing fine on the practise sessions - hitting the ball cleanly, moving well.

the moment i start to play points.
i don't seem to hit out, even a snail can move faster than i can...
takes me a set and a half to get started!
almost too late by then...:sad:

any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Competitive practice; get used to pre-match nerves by adding yourself incentives in practice.
Reduce your anxiety by deep breaths, calm music and it will come with experience.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Try anticipating where your opponent is going to hit, and move that way just before they strike the ball. You'll guess incorrectly at first, but it does wonders for the footwork.

Also, split-step (a short hop in place) just before they strike the ball. It loads your quads up, and gets you moving quite a bit faster.

Lastly, go into a match not really caring whether you win or lose, but just swing out while concentrating on nothing but the ball, and where you want to connect on it. You might lose, but it does wonders for your confidence, and really gets you swinging out fully. It's amazing how many times players actually win those matches.

..Joe

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
great thread gorecki! :hug:

I notice I get very nervous in almost all my matches that I play... I dont kno why, probably cause I wanna win it so badly... but I notice I start to shake which is sorta weird. Any pointers? And I seem to always get so furstrated when I loose a point, I jus drop down even more - definitely my confident is a factor.

Also my serve - it's a looney bin! :crazy:
Sometimes it's so perfect, hard, fast, and powerful
Other times it's hard, fast, and out ... I can never get it to be consistent...

Jus wanna ask for some few tips tho I kno my coach will also help me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
great thread gorecki! :hug:

I notice I get very nervous in almost all my matches that I play... I dont kno why, probably cause I wanna win it so badly... but I notice I start to shake which is sorta weird. Any pointers? And I seem to always get so furstrated when I loose a point, I jus drop down even more - definitely my confident is a factor.

Also my serve - it's a looney bin! :crazy:
Sometimes it's so perfect, hard, fast, and powerful
Other times it's hard, fast, and out ... I can never get it to be consistent...

Jus wanna ask for some few tips tho I kno my coach will also help me.

At least you can actually play tennis. i'm hopeless. can't even serve! haha! :) :wavey:

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
Fletch said:
At least you can actually play tennis. i'm hopeless. can't even serve! haha! :) :wavey:
take lessons!

actually.. if you come to Canada... I'll be happi to give you some lessons :p

:lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Maria:
Same for you. Go into a match with no intention of winning, just the intention of swinging properly. It takes a bit of a mental adjustment, but it's possible. One of the ways to do it is to go out and play someone whom you know to be much better than yourself: You know that you haven't a snowball's chance in hell of winning, so it frees you up to just play. Forget the points, think of the strokes, and what you do to make them right.

My person mantra is "In, out, and FINISH!" I tend to get a little lazy watching the ball, so that reminds me to watch it all the way into my stick, all the way out after I've hit, and to finish the shot.

Re: Your serve- When you say "out," I assume you mean long? If it works some of the time, but then goes long, I would tend to think that your toss is moving over your head more, rather than out in from of you. This makes you contact the ball at a less of an angle, and sends it long. One of the rules of serving: If it's into the net, it's either the toss is too short, or you're not keeping your head up, or both; If it's too long, then you're throwing the ball too close to your body.

..Joe

·
Registered
595 Posts
beauty_is_pink said:
take lessons!

actually.. if you come to Canada... I'll be happi to give you some lessons :p

I was thinking of going to a Tennis camp in Oxford, i am going to learn to play but it would have to be after my A-Levels.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
joegerardi said:
My person mantra is "In, out, and FINISH!" I tend to get a little lazy watching the ball, so that reminds me to watch it all the way into my stick, all the way out after I've hit, and to finish the shot.
..Joe
hmm.. what do you mean by that Joe..?

like dont play it safe (which I oftenly do)? Keep the point short and fast?

I tried doing that yesterday.. but I was nervous so I kept swinging away making UEs so much that my coach told me to calm down a couple of times...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Maria:
No, I don't mean go crazy, I want you to try to get into the same mindset as when you're practicing. There's a level of familiarity when working with your coach, and players have no trouble relaxing into their shots, hence they hit better. By forcing your focus into shotmaking, rather than winning the point, you get yourself somewhat in the same mindset. Therefore, you aren't trying to beat an opponent, you're just trying to hit cleanly. The same with playing someone you know you can't beat. When the pressure is off the aspect of winning, and you can simply concentrate on hitting cleanly, then you star to get into "the zone."

..Joe

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the tips and pointers Joe!
i think once i don't compromise on my footwork, my shots will start to go with the flow. :)

cheers bracey!

thanks Maria for sharing your situation on court as well!!! it's comforting to know i'm not the only *basket-case* :lol: ;) :p

let's keep improving - especially during the points! YEAH! :bounce:

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
gorecki said:
let's keep improving - especially during the points! YEAH! :bounce:
Thanks Joe!!! :hug:
you are wise :worship:

gorecki... do we have an Andre Agassi in the making? :hehehe:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
In my last match, I was clearly the better player (not to sound cocky or anything) but I just couldn't handle my opponent's high and long shots, I tried to go for it, only to see my shot go into the net, or sail long. I try to play soft, slicing the ball, stuff like that, but she is still able to hit those moonballs. There were basically 2 shots she hit, drop shots, and moonballs!! How can I deal with that situation??

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Danka if You read this...if You need new coach Joe would be perfect-can You see how GOOD HE IS??? :worship:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Fletch said:
heh heh! same here... couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo! :lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
JLDementieva said:
In my last match, I was clearly the better player (not to sound cocky or anything) but I just couldn't handle my opponent's high and long shots, I tried to go for it, only to see my shot go into the net, or sail long. I try to play soft, slicing the ball, stuff like that, but she is still able to hit those moonballs. There were basically 2 shots she hit, drop shots, and moonballs!! How can I deal with that situation??
The secret her is to NOT try to work with the shot you're given, but to play it in the way that works for you. You do this by hitting your standard shot. If it's a moonball, ignore the height and either hit it on the rise but at the same height you normally hit or hit it on the descent, but again, at the same height you normally hit. This gets into a subject that I've been working on with my students lately, and have had great success with...

Develop a "comfort zone" for your strokes. We all have a certain place in relation to our height, swing, and distance from our body that is just great to hit within. We can really smack the ball and keep it in. A good way to find it is this: If you have access to a ball machine, have it send the same type ball to you over and over again, but don't hit it! Move back and forth, closer and farther away, a little bit each time the ball comes to you, with your racquet back in the ready position, like you're getting ready to hit it, and just keep looking at every ball. Remember, it's bouncing in relatively the same place each time, but you're moving slightly closer or farther away, and into and out of the court, so the ball will be lower or higher in relation to where you will hit it. What you're doing is getting a handle on where the ball will feel "just right" to strike. When you think you have the place, wait for the next ball and let loose. I mean really smack the friggin' thing. See if it stays in, and pay close attention to how the ball feels on the stick. If you're in your comfort zone, the feeling will be marvelous. You'll nail the sweet spot, you'll get the right amount of topspin on it, and it'll feel like the best shot you ever made. If not, start over. When you have the spot, then that's your comfort zone.

Now take that zone and try to apply it to all your groundies. You'll have to do this for both wings, but only concentrate on one side at a time. If you get to the same spot, you'll KNOW that you can pound the ball, and punish your opponent.

I relate this to Andre Agassi's stroke. He take the ball really early, (on the rise) and regardless of what his opponent sends him, he basically hits the same ball every time, over and over. Think he's bothered by moonballs? No, because again, regardless of how high the ball is, he's still hitting it in the same place.

Now, obviously, this won't work on every stroke. Sometimes you will be pulled out of position, or have to lunge for a ball, but if you develop a stroke that works the same, regardless of what's sent your way, you'll win a lot more points, and hence more matches. I'm using this theory myself, and at tonight's league game, I won love and 2.

..Joe

Reactions: bracey

·
Registered
829 Posts
Isn't it great to have coach handy when you need one? Yet more things you can learn from the Cocktail Party. Hope Joe doesn't charge for consultation. :eek:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
joegerardi said:
The secret her is to NOT try to work with the shot you're given, but to play it in the way that works for you. You do this by hitting your standard shot. If it's a moonball, ignore the height and either hit it on the rise but at the same height you normally hit or hit it on the descent, but again, at the same height you normally hit. This gets into a subject that I've been working on with my students lately, and have had great success with...

..Joe

Ladies and Gentlemen, i think we found the replacement for Nigel :) :)....Joe, thanks so much... THIS IS THE MOST WELCOME POST ON THE CP.. for quite some time....no offense to the off-topic posters...

best,

allT.
ps: will post some of my thoughts, trials and triumphs on the court soon too.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts