Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have realized before the tournament began that Serena was not destined to defend her Roland Garros crown.

Why? Because she was featured before the tournament on the cover of Sports Illustrated magazine! EVERYONE KNOWS that to appear on the cover of that magazine is to be doomed in your next event! Ask Michelle Kwan; her cover beofre the Olympics did her in, too. Ask any of innumerable baseball, basketball, and American football teams at college or pro level: if your team is on the cover ahead of the big match, you will lose! :eek: No one wants to be on the cover until the big match is over! (except maybe the vain Kobe ;) )

It was wrong of SI to doom Serena's chances in this way. Poor kid didn't have a chance. :(

I hope their next cover will feature THE NETS!!! :devil:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Janie, I think the terrible French crowd played a bigger role in Serena's loss than the SI cover did! ;) Serena was absolutely correct in everything she questioned in that match against Henin and did not deserve any of the boos and whistles she got. They even cheered her double faults! :mad: Serena wasn't out of line at all. But the crowd jumped on her to protect Henin from the much too powerful Serena! And that unnerved Serena to the point of her losing the match.

I hope if Henin plays a top American woman at the U.S. Open that she will be treated fairly by the fans. But after Paris I don't know.

And I wish Serena had the steely demeanor of Chris Evert so she wouldn't have let the crowd get to her. But sadly Serena couldn't handle the ill feelings aimed at her from the French crowd. :sad:

As far as the SI cover jinx goes, it is remarkable how often something goes wrong for the athlete who just graced the cover! :eek: But in this instance it was the terrible and totally unwarranted treatment from the French crowd as well as a tenacious and talented opponent in Justine Henin that caused her to lose.

How will Justine be treated in New York at the upcoming U.S. Open, if she is playing a top American woman? Will the crowd unfairly boo her and cheer her double faults? I doubt it. New Yorkers have class! :p

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
LOL @ Janie...

The Spurs are on the cover this week... ;) *whistles*

·
Registered
695 Posts
I know that Serena will cover herselves, but will the damed remaind..... I doubt... I hope that the BICTH Justine will be boo ooofffffff the court like in france... and Serena All I have to say is ( You Go Girl) Ignore them... those fucking fanch people....

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
LOL at Cariosity! :p Janie loves the Spurs so she will be worried about the SI cover jinx doing the Spurs in! ;)

Doan, booing tennis players at tennis matches is not the answer. People should just enjoy themselves at the matches. :D

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
:angel: but hey... the nets (kenyon martin) were on the cover of espn mag... is there an espn mag, curse? :fiery:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Nyet!

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
there better not be... :fiery:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
The W/S are accustomed to hostile crowds and I doubt it affected Serena much. It shouldn't anyway. And since you guys are talkin' b'ball, let me quote the great Larry Bird re. hostile crowds: "I've never seen a fan come out of the stands and hit a three". ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts