Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering about this after hearing Bud Collins yesterday and so i emailed a couple of Russian friends and they assured me that Maria's surname is stressed on the SECOND ("RAP") syllable and not the "OVA". If Maria wants to Americanize her name into "Shara-POE-va" then that is her business but my friends were both quite adamant that this is not the correct Russian pronunciation and is in a fact a butchery of the actual name.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
vogus said:
i was wondering about this after hearing Bud Collins yesterday and so i emailed a couple of Russian friends and they assured me that Maria's surname is stressed on the SECOND ("RAP") syllable and not the "OVA". If Maria wants to Americanize her name into "Shara-POE-va" then that is her business but my friends were both quite adamant that this is not the correct Russian pronunciation and is in a fact a butchery of the actual name.
I thought that all Russian names emphasized the second syllable.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
vogus said:
Where have you been?

None of the "Ova's" have their names properly annunciated in the States and perhaps other English speaking countries. Then again in the Czech Republic and Slovakia it's the same way since they decide to add "Ova" to foreign names.

And often neither are Spanish or Italian names either. Wrong or right it's just the way it is.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
I think You are right, the same as I was always lead to believe a certain other well known Russian player/ex player is pronounced korn EEK ova as opposed to corna kova and always pronounce it that way

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I can settle this once and for all because I heard this from Sharapova herself on a TV interview a few days ago.

The correct Russian pronunciation is Sha-RAP-ova. However, she accepts that the "English pronunciation" of her name is Sha-rap-OVA, so that both are acceptable!

·
Banned
263 Posts
Jakeev said:
Where have you been?

None of the "Ova's" have their names properly annunciated in the States and perhaps other English speaking countries. Then again in the Czech Republic and Slovakia it's the same way since they decide to add "Ova" to foreign names.

And often neither are Spanish or Italian names either. Wrong or right it's just the way it is.
:yeah:

If some people are so 'shocked' by this revelation I wonder how they're gonna react when they found out that Maria's dad's last name is Sharapov (without the 'a' at the end) :lol:

Reactions: Jakeev

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
I think it´s just easier for her and all the other russians to let the guys pronunciated it in an english way (read my "journey" below;)). I mean c´mon, the only player who always wants her name to be pronunciated in the right way is Justine Henin-Hardenne...and that I absolutely get. How often did I hear "JASTIN Hennin-Hardenne"...she should erase the Hs in her name than the people will say it at least correctly.

I also love Amelie Mauresmo (Emily Moressmoe), Anastasia Myskina (she´s not the singer Anastacia!)...Kim Clijsters must be a happy person...or is that name wrong too?

I´m from Hong Kong originally, but I also let the people pronunciate my surname different from how it´s supposed to be. It´s Yee Wah actually (english proununciation), but the people don´t get it and I hate all the different versions, so since Kindergarten I basically share my surname with "Iva" Majoli, it´s much easier for other people and for me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hate this. My name is always getting spelled or pronounced wrong, and I hate all the very interesting "variations" we hear of other people's names.

Alina da-MEN-cha-va.
AnaSTAYzha misKEEEEEna.
Justin HHHennin HHHardenn.
People can say "Kim" but we hear CLAY-sters, CLIGH-sters, CLOY-sters... :eek:
MarLEEN Wayne-gartner. :haha:
Emily/Amily/Ahmaly mo-REZ-mo. :fiery:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mariangelina said:
I hate all the very interesting "variations" we hear of other people's names.
Alina da-MEN-cha-va.
AnaSTAYzha misKEEEEEna.
Agreed, and i'd try to transfer the spelling of these names in Russian as smth alike:
e-LYE-nah de-MEN(j)-t(j)ye-vah, with some soft consonants marked with (j);
ah-nus-tah-SEE-yah MYS-kee-nah (don't know a sound really alike Russian 'ы')

·
Registered
835 Posts
I remember a press conference with ANDREJ MEDVEDEV, when he was asked by a journalist to speak out his name, as it should be pronounced correctly.

He refused to, saying: " I will not do that, as I know you will never be able to pronounce it correctly, like it sounds in Russian. Any of your trials will hurt my ears. So just call me the way as you did up to now."

·
Registered
453 Posts
DiNaPic said:
I remember a press conference with ANDREJ MEDVEDEV, when he was asked by a journalist to speak out his name, as it should be pronounced correctly.

He refused to, saying: " I will not do that, as I know you will never be able to pronounce it correctly, like it sounds in Russian. Any of your trials will hurt my ears. So just call me the way as you did up to now."
Excellent answer, imho :yeah:
Anyhow, people are wondering, so why not to explain...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Jakeev said:
Where have you been?

Exactly. Daniela's surname is pronounced Han-TUCH-ova (Han-TOOK-ova, rhymes with "of a" not "over") and not Hantu-CHO-va, or Hantu-COE-va, or as Chris Bradnam says, Hanchu-COE-va. :rolleyes: Grrr, it's difficult to write down, but the same principle applies to both Maria's and Daniela's surnames. :p

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sorry for self-quotation but it seems relevant to repost an extract here
(http://wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=3759659&postcount=20)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Serena Nowitski said:
Most people pronounce Maria's name wrong.
sha-RAH-po-va
...kindly note the last sound in syllables ending in 'a' in Russian is pronounced closer to '-ah' than to '-a',
e.g. shah-RAH-po-vah
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also suggest to change the spelling in this thread's header accordingly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts