Tennis Forum banner

The comments after Kim's loss against Lina

1K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  venusfan 
#1 ·
I thought the reactions of Kim's entourage after her loss were really strange. Saying they were actually happy Kim had lost, so now she could rest a bit for the USopen. What I don't understand then is why she decided to play in te first place, if she needed the rest, shouldn't she have pulled out? I think Lina didn't get the credit she deserved for beating Kim, implying she would have won if she was fresh. I just don't think it were nice reactions

Kim's comment:

"I just don't think that I had the right preparation. Especially with the traveling," she said. "But I decided to play. I think today was just one match too much. I just ran out of batteries in the second and the third."

Of course Kim did give Lina credit:
"After coming here from Los Angeles, and the jet lag, it was difficult...But she played very well in the second and third sets and she didn't make any mistakes,"

Then Lei, Kim's father:

",,Dit is een goeie zaak in de voorbereiding op de US Open'', oordeelde vader Leo.
He says it's a good thing she lost, it's better for her preparation of the USopen.
And Marc Dehous said about the same thing on Belgian television
I am sorry but if that's the case, why do you play?

I wonder if it's just Kim who decides about the schedule, one would think the entourage would advice her not to play so much.
I really don't want to attack Kim, I just really question her scheduling... What do you guys think?

See less See more
#2 ·
it's just a way to minimize her first loss at a big tournament since she's become nb 1 in the rankings. simple as that.

#4 ·
it does sort of sound like she didn't want to be there and that she may have been pressured into playing. but on the other hand don't players and their management always look at the positives of things once they are done. they can't change that she lost so why dwell on it? why not just look forward and at the positives?

i think it's a bit tough to tell what she meant by saying what she said.

#7 ·
irma said:
to be fair mark dehous said already before the tournament that he hoped she would lose early :eek:
Isn't that a strange filosophy? Kim is an excellent player, no doubt about it, but I think her schedule is way to heavy
Before the American HC-season she said, she scheduled to play 5 tournaments, but if she would get far in every tournie that she would pull out of one or even two. Why didn't she do that?

#8 ·
I was actually kind of glad that Kim lost. She's played WAY TOO MUCH tennis this summer and with the USO so close, she needs rest!! She's been dominating so much, it's nice to see Lina win...and also for Kim to get some much needed rest. Better that she runs out of batteries against a talented player in Toronto than running out of batteries in R2 in Flushing Meadows!!! :eek: :eek:

#9 ·
vs1 said:
I was actually kind of glad that Kim lost. She's played WAY TOO MUCH tennis this summer and with the USO so close, she needs rest!! She's been dominating so much, it's nice to see Lina win...and also for Kim to get some much needed rest. Better that she runs out of batteries against a talented player in Toronto than running out of batteries in R2 in Flushing Meadows!!! :eek: :eek:
I agree VS1, it definitely was a good thing she lost early, but if her entourage agreed with us, why did she play? that's my point

#10 ·
katrientje said:
I agree VS1, it definitely was a good thing she lost early, but if her entourage agreed with us, why did she play? that's my point
I think that Kim takes her commitments seriously. She had committed to play there and she honoured it. I am not saying that she tanked and lost on purpose. Of course not. But she probably wasn't as motivated...and having secured the #1 ranking and having the US Open approaching...she was probably also a little relieved that she now had a few extra days to rest. So I think that it affected her motivation. But she showed up because she SAID she was going to show up. And with all of the seeds withdrawing because of injuries, she probably also felt a bit more obligation from the tournament. They couldn't afford ANOTHER contender pulling out. For crying out loud, this is a Tier I event!!!

Reactions: Hawk
#11 ·
katrientje said:
Isn't that a strange filosophy? Kim is an excellent player, no doubt about it, but I think her schedule is way to heavy
Before the American HC-season she said, she scheduled to play 5 tournaments, but if she would get far in every tournie that she would pull out of one or even two. Why didn't she do that?
I agree, maybe she got a lot of money to play?

the tournament did the same to monica in 92 who didn't want to play but they bought her as replacement for steffi.

#13 ·
irma said:
I agree, maybe she got a lot of money to play?

the tournament did the same to monica in 92 who didn't want to play but they bought her as replacement for steffi.
Could be, Irma. Still not too smart, especially with the small injury she's been having lately

#14 ·
Today in "het laatste nieuws", as we all know, a quality newspapaper ;) (well, for sports, they arn't too bad):

Martina Navrtailova: I hope Kim has learnt her lesson
Marc Dehous: I wasn't really 'pro' the fact of Kim playing here, but she really wanted too, she didn't want to let the organizers down. Maybe she'll learn from this.
Journalist: Kim's entourage should protect Kim against herself (sic) if she doest have the sense to know 4 tournies in a row is too much
Navratilova: I once played four tournies in a row,... never again! after those 4 weeks I had to stay in bed for a week, I don't think this is the perfect prepartion to the USopen for Kim!

+ : Kim has a slight strain and pain in her lower back :unsure:

me: I think it's nice of Kim to try and make everyone happy, but it's not good for her bode if you ask me...

Reactions: katrientje
#15 ·
pigam said:
me: I think it's nice of Kim to try and make everyone happy, but it's not good for her bode if you ask me...

My thoughts exactly Pigam. She should have followed her own advice to pull out of one, after her good results...

#16 ·
katrientje said:
She wanted to play Stanford as she had a lot of points to defend!

She played San Diego in hoping to become the world number 1 and if they was a tournament she wanted not to play was Los Angeles I think if she would have win the final of the Acura Classic, but as she lost it, she told herself, come on, you have a great chance to take that first spot in LA as I know i can beat Lindsay so she played LA!

She played toronto because the WTA asked her (Hey, Antwerp had a better draw than Toronto) to play as lots of Top-players w/o and also because Fila asked her to play (Fila is the clothes sponsor of Toronto)

That's my point of view

#18 ·
Come-on-kim said:
She wanted to play Stanford as she had a lot of points to defend!

She played San Diego in hoping to become the world number 1 and if they was a tournament she wanted not to play was Los Angeles I think if she would have win the final of the Acura Classic, but as she lost it, she told herself, come on, you have a great chance to take that first spot in LA as I know i can beat Lindsay so she played LA!

She played toronto because the WTA asked her (Hey, Antwerp had a better draw than Toronto) to play as lots of Top-players w/o and also because Fila asked her to play (Fila is the clothes sponsor of Toronto)

That's my point of view
Even if she had won San Diego she would not have had enough points to be #1. She had to win LA to get the top spot.

#20 ·
It does make sense not to push it. And re. her entering, the pressure was probably high with both W/S, Monica, and Anna all injured, and ppl expecting DD (not Deuce Diva or I-Rack :p) but "Dani and Dokic" to continue playing like crap for the time being.

#22 ·
"He says it's a good thing she lost, it's better for her preparation of the USopen"
=====

Yeah right, nothing like a real good loss to a way under ranked player in the first round in a match just before the U.S. Open.

A real momentum builder, eh? :rolleyes:

#24 ·
Experimentee said:
If they were already hoping she would lose early then why not withdraw? She has enough money to pay if there is a fine! It wont benefit at all to play when shes already tired! Its better to withdraw than give a half assed effort.
Kim herself really wanted to play, as she had commited herself before, and didn't want to dissapoint anyone. Parents and coach never liked it too much but Kim did have it her way, only to find out she really was running out of gas.

I'm still sure the tournament was quite happy she did play two matches, and all the fuss about having the new #1 in Toronto certainly didn't hurt the tournament in the end.

#25 ·
somthing she will have to learn to do. i don't think she has ever seen the "physical" capability of her body. now she has. so in the future, i think she will be quick to no when to pull out of the tournies, and when not to. personally after five weeks in a row, you think the lightbulb would've went off.

i still say its the fact, that everyone is talking about the only and again only reason why she became number 1 was b/c of the fact that physically she is able to play so much and continue to win. the gurl isn't immortal. like we had to find out with serena from comments made about her. so it did look bad for kim to say that she just ran out of batteries. and have the week before this gurl that can play all the time and keep getting to semis and finals. i've always questioned her play coming up to the usopen. i still question it during the usopen. i don't even think she will get to the semis. its sad that Serena is out, cuz i really wanted venus at nuber 5, and in kim's quarters. kim hasn't had to prove herself. as in like Serena with Jennifer in the quarters, justine in the semis and then venus in the finals. or at the french, amelie quarters, justine semis, and had she won, kim would've been waiting. kim hasn't had to do that yet, so when it comes, it will be interesting to see how she fares having to take out at least 2 top 10 players, instead of just 1 in a tournie :)

#26 ·
Kim and her coach are two different people. Just because he believes one thing doesn't mean Kim will agree or do everything he tells her to. So I don't think there's any huge conundrum there.

IMO, Kim made the wrong decision to play, but the thought of disappointing all those lovely Canadian tennis fans probably made her reconsider. It was a foolhardy act of matyrdom, and I hope she did learn her lesson from overexerting herself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.