Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.
Yeah I mean he must be cautious because he can’t say “she’s definitely playing” until she confirms it, because otherwise he would look silly in retrospect if she ends up not playing.
he said she’s “building up her workload” which looks positive.

tbh it could be either way. I think and hope Emma will play only if she feels 100% ok, because there’s no use in retiring again or losing because she can’t serve at full pace. And she will know that.

In any case Wimbledon is just no expectations at this point. She can do well if she’s 100% ok physically by the start of the tournament, and if she gets a decent R1 and can compensate the less than ideal preparation by playing herself into form from there (again, only if physically fit 100%)

But if fit, her game is very good for grass and fast surfaces in general, of course we can’t expect anything because she comes in with the worst possible preparation.

What is really important is that after Wimbledon she rests and gets into best possible shape for hc North America swing, where she can be extremely dangerous if in form as we know all too well. She will have 3 to 4 weeks for that, depending on Wimbledon result. Grass would have been another great chance but sadly she’s been extremely unlucky with the injury in the first game of the first match on grass.

She could still do well at Wimbledon if she’s fit by then, but it would be unfair of us to expect it from her at this point. If it happens, great. If not, not a tragedy.

·
Premium Member
24,048 Posts
I was hoping we would get an update on whether if she is feeling any better while serving compared to last week. Nothing much on that from the latest Dickson article.

Anyways, I am prepared to her skipping Wimbledon. If she plays, then I think of it as bonus. If she doesn't, then not too much disappointment.
From the Telegraph, it does not seem like there are any updates

This injury, though described as "not significant" by Murray, is a tricky one to manage and affects his ability to practise his serve. There is no word yet on whether Raducanu is still having similar trouble with practising the key shot too, despite the fact she was back at Wimbledon on Monday getting some much-needed time on the court.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.
It's a newspaper. Whatever they say, unless they got direct information, it doesn't mean much, they will speculate the exact same way us Joe Schmoes do.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Emma should play ONLY if 100% fit, playing if not 100% fit is pure madness.

I think there’s a distinct possibility that she is 100% fit by the start of the tournament, but if she isn’t, she has to withdraw

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Naomi Broady on the BBC has said that Emma is in a similar position to Andy Murray right now, in that she's trying desperately to be fit for Wimbledon, but it's now a question of whether she'll be fit in time and it's just a case of 'fingers crossed' for her
She probably knows as much as we do about her fitness right now 🤷‍♂️

21 - 40 of 513 Posts