Tennis Forum banner
201 - 220 of 1966 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
A member of Raducanu’s team insisted that she is on track to compete in the championships next week after suffering a side strain during a match in Nottingham earlier this month. The issue requires close monitoring on a daily basis but is not serious enough as it stands to threaten her participation.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
A member of Raducanu’s team insisted that she is on track to compete in the championships next week after suffering a side strain during a match in Nottingham earlier this month. The issue requires close monitoring on a daily basis but is not serious enough as it stands to threaten her participation.
I understand she's skipped practice today. It's probably something they don't want to overdo, which tells me they're still a little cautious.

Hopefully she'll be scheduled to play on Tuesday, which will give her an extra day's preparation.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good for her. I'm surprised she's not received a few MDWC's this year to some bigger tournaments given her age and ranking.

I think Emma will be physically fit come Monday or Tuesday next week, it's just a question of match-fitness. I hope she gets a couple of scrubs early doors to allow her to build her way into the tournament.

I don't want someone like Williams or Andreescu or Qinwen Zheng. Give me a couple of pushers that Emma can dominate and dictate against.
Unfortunately Kasintseva comfortably lost the next 2 sets. So none of the sub 200 ranked 16/17 years olds will be making an appearance this time.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Unfortunately Kasintseva comfortably lost the next 2 sets. So none of the sub 200 ranked 16/17 years olds will be making an appearance this time.
That's a shame. Perhaps my memory is poor, but you don't often see 14-17 year olds in the main draw at WImbledon. Gauff is obviously an exception.

Understandable I suppose, given most players grow up on clay or hard, and junior players may find it especially hard to adjust.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I understand she's skipped practice today. It's probably something they don't want to overdo, which tells me they're still a little cautious.

Hopefully she'll be scheduled to play on Tuesday, which will give her an extra day's preparation.
But she has two practice sessions booked tomorrow. A rest day doesn’t look like a bad idea in the circumstances. They are being very cautious which is a good idea. Sitting Eastbourne out was obviously a wise choice

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That's a shame. Perhaps my memory is poor, but you don't often see 14-17 year olds in the main draw at WImbledon. Gauff is obviously an exception.

Understandable I suppose, given most players grow up on clay or hard, and junior players may find it especially hard to adjust.
yeah..it's very rare unless the player has a MD WC. If you look at current live rankings, there is no player in top100 that is younger than 18. Also Gauff is the only player younger than 19 years in top100. Noskova is the highest ranked player currently among < 18 years and she is ranked 141.

·
Registered
34,884 Posts
Pricilla has said on her Instagram she had to withdraw due to food poisoning last night.
Yikes, I wonder where from..

• Sad
Reactions: gbar23

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Why do you nitpick? Of course I don't mean literally... it was more a whimsical comment on the bad luck Emma has experienced this year. :rolleyes:
Uh, I didn’t mean to come across as aggressive.
I’ve seen posts (not by you) stating that recent bad luck means she will be luckier in the near future, or that she was due some bad luck this year because of the good luck she had at USO.

Neither of these makes any sense from a statistical point of view. Bad and good luck average out in the long term (like if you throw a dice 6 million times you’re getting close to 1 million times for each of the 6 results https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers )
But they don’t on the single test / short term (if you throw a dice 5 times and you get 1,2,3,4,5, on the sixth throw you’re as likely to get a 6 as any other number, a six is NOT more likely).
I know you don’t believe this stuff but I’ve seen people seriously believe that luck compensates in the short term, that’s why I said this.

It’s not a dig at you. Sorry if it appeared that way.

Of course we can believe that she will turn it around in the near future but that’s more for tennis reasons (which are not entirely stochastic processes), like saying “she will find form in hc swing”

But the purely stochastic processes like draws, aren’t any more or less likely to be favourable or unfavourable because of recent results.

·
Banned
5,397 Posts

Wimbledon Points is still not off the table, there is more to this than we think.

I bet wimbledon are threatening slam points behind closed doors, slams will not be pushed around by WTA.

201 - 220 of 1966 Posts