Tennis Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1966 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Imo Emma and her team know her body more than anyone else - I’d like to think they’d have learned from past issues with playing through injuries and having to retire halfway through. If Emma and her team think she’s fit to play, then I expect her to be able to put up a fight. If she has to retire again then it’ll be a mistake by Emma/her team and questions will rightfully be asked as it will have happened too often. I think they will only allow her to play if they are confident she’s able to play to her potential and against top players as the last thing they’d want is for her to have to retire halfway through a match on centre court in the first round. So, unless she withdraws before the draw, we can assume she’s happy with how she’s playing and feeling. The feeding info to the media that she isn’t fully fit could also just be tactical and they want to downplay expectations to help her handle the pressure so I don’t think we’ll fully know the state of her fitness.
I suppose one of the points I had an issue with was your use of the word 'allow'. Her team is in no position to either 'allow' or 'disallow' anything: Emma is the Boss; they work for her; and she can chose to regard or disregard any advice they give her. Ultimately, any decision will be hers. (I'm not saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing, just the way that I think things are.)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I suppose one of the points I had an issue with was your use of the word 'allow'. Her team is in no position to either 'allow' or 'disallow' anything: Emma is the Boss; they work for her; and she can chose to regard or disregard any advice they give her. Ultimately, any decision will be hers. (I'm not saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing, just the way that I think things are.)
I agree, but I’m sure @tennislife98 meant “allow” in a rhetorical way. Which is what I also meant in my post.
For sure the final decision is Emma’s (she’s their boss) but “won’t allow” = “will strongly advise against”, which would surely make Emma withdraw, as she’s no fool.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I agree, but I’m sure @tennislife98 meant “allow” in a rhetorical way. Which is what I also meant in my post.
For sure the final decision is Emma’s (she’s their boss) but “won’t allow” = “will strongly advise against”, which would surely make Emma withdraw, as she’s no fool.
^ exactly this

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Well, she’s paid millions a year for the sponsors. They of course want to do this, it’s the only reason they’re paying that money. It’s still much better to take that money than not to take it. But you can’t have your cake and eat it. If she gets the money, they will do this stuff. It’s still better to take the money of course.

She just needs to completely ignore the stuff. She will have to learn to live with this pressure so might as well start now. It’s possible to do it, she just needs to avoid reading any article etc, concentrate only on herself and let her agents handle her social media (and for the love of god never read comments, but she said she’s not doing THAT anymore)

·
Registered
417 Posts
^ exactly this
I apologise if I took your comment too literally, and came across as too confrontational: I didn’t mean to.

However, I am beginning to wonder who is part of this mythical team we’ve all be happily discussing. Emma has no permanent physio or trainer, but just borrows ones on an ad hoc basis; she has no permanent coach, but, seemingly, has recently enlisted Jane O’Donoghue, so: is she now ‘part of the team’? Then there’s IMG’s Chris Helliar: he’s clearly one of her team. But, is that it? Or are we including honorary members like Tim and Andy in her team? Or even her parents? However you look at: it seems a pretty small team…

·
Registered
417 Posts
I apologise if I took your comment too literally, and came across as too confrontational: I didn’t mean to.

However, I am beginning to wonder who is part of this mythical team we’ve all be happily discussing. Emma has no permanent physio or trainer, but just borrows ones on an ad hoc basis; she has no permanent coach, but, seemingly, has recently enlisted Jane O’Donoghue, so: is she now ‘part of the team’? Then there’s IMG’s Chris Helliar: he’s clearly one of her team. But, is that it? Or are we including honorary members like Tim and Andy in her team? Or even her parents? However you look at: it seems a pretty small team…
There is, of course, Raymond Sarmiento: he's part of her team, but I doubt he has much influence on the decision making...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

We have a whole thread devoted to this topic:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Express

British No 1 has been practising at the All England Club this week. And although she is taking a rest day today (Thursday), she is scheduled to practise twice tomorrow (Friday).

Raducanu’s team are continuing to monitor the injury day by day. But they are increasingly hopeful she will be ready to play when The Championships start on Monday. The draw meanwhile takes place at 10am on Friday.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, something been said to the media

SunSport

RADY TO GO Emma Raducanu on track to play at Wimbledon and will be in main draw despite US Open champ’s injury scare

EMMA RADUCANU is on track to play at Wimbledon and will be in Friday’s main draw despite her recent injury scare.

SunSport understands the British No.1has shown encouraging signs this week in training blocks at the SW19 grounds.

Though the reigning US Openchampion took a day off on Thursday, her team have pencilled in two sessions on the practice schedule for Friday.

With the type of injury she has – in an area where serving is difficult and painful – it is understood her camp are monitoring her condition on a daily basis.

But the signs are positive that she will play on either Monday or Tuesday next week.

Overall, Raducanu has been in good spirits at Wimbledon’s Aorangi Park practice centre, smiling, laughing and playing impromptu games of Spikeball with her staff and training group.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
16 year old Victoria Jiménez Kasintseva is one set away from the main draw.
Good for her. I'm surprised she's not received a few MDWC's this year to some bigger tournaments given her age and ranking.

I think Emma will be physically fit come Monday or Tuesday next week, it's just a question of match-fitness. I hope she gets a couple of scrubs early doors to allow her to build her way into the tournament.

I don't want someone like Williams or Andreescu or Qinwen Zheng. Give me a couple of pushers that Emma can dominate and dictate against.

181 - 200 of 1966 Posts