Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unfortunately, it is very improbable to see a last-minute agreement with ATP and WTA. Qualifiers have already started.

The good news is that despite loosing 240 points Emma may gain in ranking because others will lose more points. Depending on what other players do this week she may end up #10. More details in post #689 in Emma's WTA World Ranking Discussion Thread.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes I was surprised to learn that, taking the Wimbledon points issue out of the equation, the worst Emma will rank after the Championships is twelfth.
It is a pity that Emma got injured and missed all 3 pre-Wimbledon weeks. Had she played either the planned two WTA250s or the Eastbourne she would have had decent chances to rise above #10.

·
Registered
177 Posts
She is still such a sweet kid. Teddy bear t-shirt and laughing in most pictures. Certainly a pleasure to work with as all her coaches and team members said. Hope she is healthy and has a good run at Wimbledon. Emma don't push too hard, no need to win ten matches, seven should be a decent result.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Imho the smiles probably hint in the direction that she’s fully fit and can serve well :)
Journalists are being prudent for obvious reasons (until no official announcement is made).
Of course we can’t know for sure.
I hope you are right Johnny0202. But I suspect she would smile no matter what because .. she is Emma. Remember 2nd set of 2nd round AO - in pain but laughing. TBH Kovinic hilariously kept sending most of the balls to Emma's backhand but still it was not the most pleasant situations.

Unfortunately we do not know anything for sure. I suspect she will play Wimbledon even if not feeling 100% fit. Understandably. On the other hand, I do not think she is too hungry for points or ranking atm. So if she was 99% fit last week, she would still skip Eastborne to make sure she is in best form for Wimbledon.

I really hope that Emma will be 100% fit next week. I totally agree with you that she needs her full serve. She might survive 1-2 matches with a weaker serve but it will drain her energy and confidence, matches will be long, tiring and not great to watch, and her chances to get a deep run would be very slim. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Watched Emma's PC after Serena's, Iga's and others. It is no wonder the press (any press, not just British) goes crazy after her. She delivers so much more than other players. She has so much confidence that she does not feel the need to hide anything and tells what she thinks or feels with the maturity of 50 year old but the sweetness and sincerity of 5 year old. That was noticed by many journalists at USO last year and she continues to do that. I though the past challenging 9 months might change her but no. Remarkable. May it stay that way forever.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Emma: “For example, when I rewatch my third-round match here, I remember I was hitting some incredible shots that just came out of nowhere. But I was thinking at the time that I had no idea how I had ever pulled that off. I can relive every single moment of that. That just gives you a lot of joy, everybody watching you and getting really fired up.
Yeah, Emma, that 3R match was crazy. If I could travel back in time, watching that match live in Court 1 would be one of my favorite destinations: the shots, the crowd reactions and your reactions ... unbelievable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Just went and watch the highlights. Emma was so adorable when she won those crazy points!
Adorable is the right word. I rewatched the whole match yesterday. Many thanks to xenosys! The tennis was actually fantastic. Serve, returns, movement, passing-shots. The crowd would go crazy even if she was not British or so adorable. But being a Brit and so ridiculously likeable they went bananas.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Friends, I am honestly hoping Emma wins in 2 short sets because, yeah, she can certainly do it. That would preserve her body and energy for the next round. I am of course nervous because of her injury and lack of preparation but I keep reminding myself that this is a fast surface on which a healthy, in-form Emma has good chance to beat anybody.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yours is a respectable position to have of course, but I disagree.
But again I’m pro vaccine and I am vaccinated.
I still think they should have let him in though.
He had caught covid recently, thus he was immune just as a vaccinated person, so he wouldn’t have been a threat to anyone.

I also disagree on the way they handled the stuff, in the final hearing, they said they banned him on the grounds that “he could inspire anti-vaccine sentiment in Australia” which frankly is bs. If they wanted to ban him, don’t let him enter in the first place instead of all that saga.

I disagree on the government decision of not letting him also because it rigged the goat race…it obviously took a toll on him and objectively made it easier for Nadal to win AO…you have to recognise this, Djokovic was the big favourite for AO and his absence increased the odds of winning for all the other players, including Nadal; Nadal beat him at RG but that was on Nadal’s best surface. At AO the same match would probably yield the opposite result. If they had let it happen.
Australian government made a mess out of it for sure. But Djokovic did his part: he either falsified his COVID infection or totally disregarded other people wellbeing by participating in events while infected. Either way is bad. But I strongly believe it was the first as I do not think he would risk getting other people sick on his negligence. Personally, I have no problem with him falsely claiming he got COVID but with him being stupid enough to show in public while supposedly contagious. If you plan to lie stick to your plan.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Fully agree with drive volley sux on Emma's ROS. It helps her even more on fast courts. I am glad her serve was improving throughout the match. More important is that she is winning a lot of 2nd serves. She has been struggling this year, winning only 33% of them, now is back to USO level, winning more than 50% of them. That was another factor that made her so hard to beat and I suspect court speed helps too. Knowing Emma, she will fix that rusty FH by the next match. Mentally, Emma was excellent today. Soooo encouraging:yippee:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought her return was one thing which has consistently good even earlier this year on slower surfaces. She is like 10th best in Return Games Won% so far this year among top50.
Emma's ROS has always been excellent. But the impact is bigger on fast courts in the same way a fast serve has more impact. There was nice USO article that analyzed Emma's game and highlighted that her controlled aggressiveness combined with her ROS and 2nd serve that were considerably better then opposition made all the difference. The article explained that Emma's ROS and 2nd serve would give her diminished advantages on slower courts. Hence my excitement for grass and fast HC seasons.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts