Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Unfortunately, it is very improbable to see a last-minute agreement with ATP and WTA. Qualifiers have already started.

The good news is that despite loosing 240 points Emma may gain in ranking because others will lose more points. Depending on what other players do this week she may end up #10. More details in post #689 in Emma's WTA World Ranking Discussion Thread.
However it’s quite possible that they are forced later to retroactively award them.
That in particular in the case that USO and AO decide to consider Wimbledon points when doing their entry and their seeding, effectively creating a parallel slam rankings and making the ATP / WTA rankings actually redundant.
But yes, a last minute agreement before the tournament seems unlikely.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It is a pity that Emma got injured and missed all 3 pre-Wimbledon weeks. Had she played either the planned two WTA250s or the Eastbourne she would have had decent chances to rise above #10.
It is, but nothing can be done now. If Emma does well in the fast hc season, she can still save her year. Fortunately after Wimbledon she has 3-4 weeks (depending on how far she goes) of rest and training before hc swing starts. She can get in good form for the hc swing

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.
Yeah I mean he must be cautious because he can’t say “she’s definitely playing” until she confirms it, because otherwise he would look silly in retrospect if she ends up not playing.
he said she’s “building up her workload” which looks positive.

tbh it could be either way. I think and hope Emma will play only if she feels 100% ok, because there’s no use in retiring again or losing because she can’t serve at full pace. And she will know that.

In any case Wimbledon is just no expectations at this point. She can do well if she’s 100% ok physically by the start of the tournament, and if she gets a decent R1 and can compensate the less than ideal preparation by playing herself into form from there (again, only if physically fit 100%)

But if fit, her game is very good for grass and fast surfaces in general, of course we can’t expect anything because she comes in with the worst possible preparation.

What is really important is that after Wimbledon she rests and gets into best possible shape for hc North America swing, where she can be extremely dangerous if in form as we know all too well. She will have 3 to 4 weeks for that, depending on Wimbledon result. Grass would have been another great chance but sadly she’s been extremely unlucky with the injury in the first game of the first match on grass.

She could still do well at Wimbledon if she’s fit by then, but it would be unfair of us to expect it from her at this point. If it happens, great. If not, not a tragedy.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Emma should play ONLY if 100% fit, playing if not 100% fit is pure madness.

I think there’s a distinct possibility that she is 100% fit by the start of the tournament, but if she isn’t, she has to withdraw

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Looks like she’s back to normal training going by these photos - doesn’t exactly look like “gentle practice” so I’d imagine the injury situation is more positive now?
And she's still got nearly a full week before her first match. Unless she somehow aggravates her injury again there is no way she's not playing Wimbledon.
I'm pleased to see there are two photos of her serving. 😃
I would agree with these :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hope this image is just her casually putting her hand on her hip, because that's the same side she sprained a couple of weeks ago...
View attachment 220328
Well it looks casually hand on hip, she doesn’t look in pain.
But we don’t know for sure obviously. I’m confident that if she’s not fit she will withdraw. After Rome, she said she doesn't want to play matches while physically limited by injuries anymore. So that would be the right choice if not fit.

but to me it looks casually resting her hand on her hip.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Nadal training on the court next to Emma 😳😳😳 lucky girl!!! Hope she picked up some tips from the 🐐
Goat race is still open…Djokovic will end up with more Slams than Nadal imo, at least if they let him compete (I’m pro vaccine but excluding him from AO and possibly USO is total bs). All credit to Nadal for his AO win, but Djokovic was the favourite and surely his exclusion did help Nadal quite a bit.
My favourite of the big 3 has always been Federer but it’s very unlikely that he gets another Slam.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
At the time of writing (Wednesday 22nd June), Raducanu appears more likely than not to play at Wimbledon, though she may not be 100 per cent fit.

Raducanu has suffered from numerous injury problems since her US Open heroics, the latest being a side issue picked up in Nottingham earlier this month. She has also endured blisters and a back problem in recent times.

Despite all of this, she has been seeded in the top 10 women's players ahead of the Wimbledon 2022 draw. If she had no chance of featuring, she is likely to have withdrawn by now.

However, if she does go ahead and compete at Wimbledon, she will be entering cold after missing Eastbourne International this week, a traditional warm-up tournament for Wimbledon.
Being physically fully fit and being match fit / having enough match play are two different things.

The former is essential.
she needs to be fully fit and she NEEDS to be able to serve at full pace and placement. Otherwise it’s pointless and she’s better off concentrating on hc swing.

For the latter, if she’s physically fully fit, and doesn’t have a terrible R1 draw, the lack of match play will be much less of a problem than people think, on a surface that naturally suits her game. She can definitely play herself into form.
BUT she needs to be physically fully fit and, crucially, able to serve at her best.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I'm sort of scraping the bottom of the barrel here, but one semi positive outcome at Wimbledon IF Emma isn't fit enough to win matches would be if she draws another Brit like one of the Katies, and then at least it would be a high profile breakthrough for her opponent and a relative positive for the crowd and public. A disaster would be losing to some nobody.
If she isn’t fit enough she shouldn’t play, period. A R1 loss because of a fitness problem would be a disaster on all fronts, no matter the opponent. Of course a nobody is worse, but losing due to a clear injury (either retirement, or finishing the match but clearly hampered in her serve or movement or groundstrokes) would be a disaster.
She’s the first one who said after Rome that she doesn’t want to play matches with a sense of limitation anymore. In Rome she made the mistake of not resting enough the Madrid injury (which was lingering). It wasn’t a new injury, it was the same injury, she didn’t allow enough recovery time (she should maybe skipped Rome, obviously). She said she doesn’t want to do that again. Hopefully she stays true to that and plays only if fully fit and her serve, groundstrokes, and movement aren’t limited.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It’s amazing how relaxed and happy Emma looks in all the practice photos, if behind the scenes she’s still not sure if she can play or not. I can’t believe how chill and positive she is! She does not look like somebody who’s worried/anxious about anything.
Imho the smiles probably hint in the direction that she’s fully fit and can serve well :)
Journalists are being prudent for obvious reasons (until no official announcement is made).
Of course we can’t know for sure.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
It’s ridiculous to believe that stuff. Clearly some intern was testing the programming for the website and made a mistake. Or a prank by someone.
The draw is determined live by a physical procedure on Friday. It’s not predetermined electronically

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I think she loves playing Wimbledon and she won’t want to miss it. If she feels she can still play while not 100% fit she might go ahead. It’s not an ideal situation but it’s not a disaster either.

I think we have to stop listening to the tabloids and GM. If she plays and goes out early it’s not the end of the world. The main issue is that she has a long term plan to improve her fitness and resilience over the next couple of years.
If she isn’t fully fit she should not play because she would just risk making it worse and compromising her last shot this year, the North American hardcourt swing.
And yes, it’s bad if she retires again and not because of GM or press (although bad press could impact her psychologically) but because it means she passes the next weeks nursing an injury instead of improving her form for hc swing. In that case, much better to sit it out and concentrate on getting to top form for hc swing.

She surely has a plan for her long term fitness.

Between 9th august and 11th September 2021 she played 19 full matches in 34 days. Won 18 of those 19 matches. Never an MTO except the cut in the USO final which is not related to fitness. Retired once (actually they were 20 matches in 34 days, 19 completed) but again not related to fitness (it was due to conflicting schedule between the ITF landisville and the Chicago 125, plus extreme heat = not worth it, better to go to Chicago).

she surely will get back to that form.

She also needs to strengthen and get used to physical demands of WTA tour.
She lost preseason due to covid which destroyed her conditioning (and possibly overtrained later to try and catch up, making it worse)
She has competed less than her peers as junior and itf.

all these reasons explain why she has the current injury situation

she will get stronger, her fitness will get better next year.

But NO POINT playing a tournament and risking making it worse if she’s not fully fit (see Rome for an example). No matter if she loves it. Sometimes you have to sacrifice something that you love for a greater gain down the road
Also no point playing grass without a serve.

Then again, maybe she IS FULLY FIT, and her serve is fine, and we’re discussing a moot point.

It’s definitely possible that the situation is this and she’s fine. 3 weeks between injury and start of Wimbledon.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I hope you are right Johnny0202. But I suspect she would smile no matter what because .. she is Emma. Remember 2nd set of 2nd round AO - in pain but laughing. TBH Kovinic hilariously kept sending most of the balls to Emma's backhand but still it was not the most pleasant situations.

Unfortunately we do not know anything for sure. I suspect she will play Wimbledon even if not feeling 100% fit. Understandably. On the other hand, I do not think she is too hungry for points or ranking atm. So if she was 99% fit last week, she would still skip Eastborne to make sure she is in best form for Wimbledon.

I really hope that Emma will be 100% fit next week. I totally agree with you that she needs her full serve. She might survive 1-2 matches with a weaker serve but it will drain her energy and confidence, matches will be long, tiring and not great to watch, and her chances to get a deep run would be very slim. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Agree. And that’s why she should withdraw if she doesn’t have a full serve.

But maybe she has! Three weeks between the injury and Wimbledon! it could be ok now.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
But the previous article suggested that this particular injury wouldn’t be that compromised if she played - would just heal a bit more slowly so theoretically it should still be ok for the hard court swing especially if she goes out early!

But hopefully she will be 100% fit. There is nothing better than watching fit and healthy Emma on grass and fast hard courts 😍
The article is making hypothesis. It said it could take more WEEKS to heal = she would lose the weeks before hc swing, which she otherwise could use to get in top form for that. It would be the final blow for this season. She should play only if 100% fit. Otherwise NOT.

But yes, she could actually be fully fit

in which case of course go ahead and play

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
When I read ‘Emma Raducanu will not be fully fit for Wimbledon’ I just think she should withdraw. It’s sad, but long term fitness and health is more important. I still can’t believe she picked up that injury at the beginning of her very first match in Nottingham.. she’s had such a rough time with injuries all year long. Very frustrating. But I go back to my initial point: long term health is more important.
If that’s the case, yes.

We don’t know if that’s the case though, the article doesn’t really say anything, just that in their opinion she’s not fully fit because she didn’t play an exhibition, which doesn’t mean much by itself. So there’s hope.

But if not fully fit she should withdraw, 100%

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Imo Emma and her team know her body more than anyone else - I’d like to think they’d have learned from past issues with playing through injuries and having to retire halfway through. If Emma and her team think she’s fit to play, then I expect her to be able to put up a fight. If she has to retire again then it’ll be a mistake by Emma/her team and questions will rightfully be asked as it will have happened too often. I think they will only allow her to play if they are confident she’s able to play to her potential and against top players as the last thing they’d want is for her to have to retire halfway through a match on centre court in the first round. So, unless she withdraws before the draw, we can assume she’s happy with how she’s playing and feeling. The feeding info to the media that she isn’t fully fit could also just be tactical and they want to downplay expectations to help her handle the pressure so I don’t think we’ll fully know the state of her fitness.
I think this is spot on tbh.
I hope you’re right on the bold part in particular.
That’s correct. They should allow her to play only if they are confident she can play to her potential. Risking another retirement is the last thing they want, of course.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Although very good, English is not Daniela's first language, which is obvious when you listen to her comments. I don't think she meant 'respect' at all, and that she chose just slightly the wrong word: I believe she meant 'awe', and that she meant her quote to be 'All the locker room awe she had after the US Open is now kind of going away which is a shame.' She DIDN'T mean to say that players no longer respected Emma, but they were no longer in awe of her, or fearful of her, which I'm sure was true.
They will be again when she starts winning again ;)

1 - 20 of 239 Posts