Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks like she’s back to normal training going by these photos - doesn’t exactly look like “gentle practice” so I’d imagine the injury situation is more positive now?
And she's still got nearly a full week before her first match. Unless she somehow aggravates her injury again there is no way she's not playing Wimbledon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
On court with Emma today was Jane O'Donaghue, an LTA coach who seems to be close to Emma and her family.

Quote from Anne Keothavong in a Telegraph article from September 13th 2021:

"One person who deserves so much credit is Jane O’Donoghue, a Lawn Tennis Association coach until she left to go into the world of finance a couple of years ago. Jane is still very tight with Emma and her parents. She is a great friend of mine, and I know the hours she put in as national coach, all those 6am drives over from Wimbledon to Bromley to work with Emma."
Interesting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Emma not being fully fit could mean anything. 99% fit is not fully fit but more than good enough to be competitive. Let's not forget she was apparently fully fit before the Nottingham tournament and still picked up this injury in the first game of the first match.

Maybe she's very close to full fitness and they are just continuing to try and dampen down expectations.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good for her. I'm surprised she's not received a few MDWC's this year to some bigger tournaments given her age and ranking.

I think Emma will be physically fit come Monday or Tuesday next week, it's just a question of match-fitness. I hope she gets a couple of scrubs early doors to allow her to build her way into the tournament.

I don't want someone like Williams or Andreescu or Qinwen Zheng. Give me a couple of pushers that Emma can dominate and dictate against.
Unfortunately Kasintseva comfortably lost the next 2 sets. So none of the sub 200 ranked 16/17 years olds will be making an appearance this time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Most of the players AVU has played in her grass wins this season have been ranked in the hundreds. The only name of note is Mertens and she's not been in great form. She didn't play a top 100 player in last weeks title win. I actually think it's a good draw for Emma, she knows she can beat her on a fast surface. It could have been much worse.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts