Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Unfortunately, it is very improbable to see a last-minute agreement with ATP and WTA. Qualifiers have already started.

The good news is that despite loosing 240 points Emma may gain in ranking because others will lose more points. Depending on what other players do this week she may end up #10. More details in post #689 in Emma's WTA World Ranking Discussion Thread.
Yes I was surprised to learn that, taking the Wimbledon points issue out of the equation, the worst Emma will rank after the Championships is twelfth.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Emma Raducanu has raised hopes she will be fit to play Wimbledon by returning to practice at the All England Club.

The US Open champion has spent the last two days sparring with her hitting partner, American pro Raymond Sarmiento, as she seeks to build up her workload following an injury layoff.

Raducanu, who retired from her first-round match at the Nottingham Open two weeks ago, managed a couple of brief sessions late last week but is anxious not to aggravate the side strain she suffered there.

She pulled out of the WTA tournament in Birmingham and did not go ahead with plans to enter Eastbourne.

At best she will have only seven competitive games on grass going into Wimbledon, but is desperate to make the start line for The Championships.

Unless there is a major setback in the next 48 hours she is likely to wait until shortly before Friday morning’s draw before making a decision.
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It's a newspaper. Whatever they say, unless they got direct information, it doesn't mean much, they will speculate the exact same way us Joe Schmoes do.
Dickson just wrote a book about Emma, you’d think he’d have sources close to her camp. How close they are is another matter.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Naomi Broady on the BBC has said that Emma is in a similar position to Andy Murray right now, in that she's trying desperately to be fit for Wimbledon, but it's now a question of whether she'll be fit in time and it's just a case of 'fingers crossed' for her
She probably knows as much as we do about her fitness right now 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I listened to the most recent Tennis Podcast and Catherine WHITAKER basically said she hopes Emma withdraws because she probably won't be fit enough to do well. I am almost certain that she'll play, but it's not encouraging if whatever intel they have is that pessimistic about her chances.
Let’s be frank: it’s unlikely Emma will go deep. But if she’s fit enough she should play. She would want to play. If anything to bank more experience for the future.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yes. I think this much is true.
From the New Statesman article on Emma:

Before this year’s Wimbledon, the message from Raducanu’s team was clear: don’t expect too much. Iain Bates, the head of women’s tennis at the Lawn Tennis Association, told me: “She’s incredibly grounded, but we shouldn’t forget she’s only 19. She’s working hard to develop her game and establish herself on tour.”

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I apologise if I took your comment too literally, and came across as too confrontational: I didn’t mean to.

However, I am beginning to wonder who is part of this mythical team we’ve all be happily discussing. Emma has no permanent physio or trainer, but just borrows ones on an ad hoc basis; she has no permanent coach, but, seemingly, has recently enlisted Jane O’Donoghue, so: is she now ‘part of the team’? Then there’s IMG’s Chris Helliar: he’s clearly one of her team. But, is that it? Or are we including honorary members like Tim and Andy in her team? Or even her parents? However you look at: it seems a pretty small team…
We have a whole thread devoted to this topic:

1 - 19 of 183 Posts