Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Emma Raducanu has turned to a trusted former coach from her junior days to help her prepare for Wimbledon next week.

The US Open champion was on the All England Club practice courts on Tuesday with Jane O’Donoghue, who had a long spell with the Lawn Tennis Association before leaving prior to the pandemic to pursue a career in banking.

O’Donoghue is close to the Raducanu family and used to take the young Emma away on trips in her earlier teenage years. They have remained friends and the two of them watched the men’s final together at Wimbledon last year.

Raducanu, who will be seeded 10 at this year’s tournament assuming that her side strain does not stop her from playing, was also seen with O’Donoghue a couple of weeks ago in practice at SW19.

O’Donoghue was a player herself and made the world’s top 200 as well as twice making the second round at Wimbledon, in 2004 and 2005.

In the absence of a full-time coach, she is obviously someone Raducanu feels she can rely on as she tries to get ready for a tournament in which she will be under huge scrutiny. The 19-year-old has also worked in recent months with the LTA’s Iain Bates and Louis Cayer.

O’Donoghue was on court with Raducanu on Tuesday at the Aorangi Park practice complex, and appeared to be swapping technical information.

Raducanu has played only half a set since the French Open after she retired from the Nottingham Open two weeks ago with a side strain that she is being cautious with in the hope of being properly fit for the big fortnight.
That is super interesting. So she’d rather have somebody familiar instead of higher profile for Wimbledon. Somebody who’s literally out of the coaching business already.

·
Registered
657 Posts
After watching the PC I had two thoughts. Maybe she just had her period yesterday, which among other things can cause lower back instability and pain, and can exacerbate her side strain. My other thought is that it’s weird of them to book two sessions in one day in the first place. As a consequence the entire media circus stakes out on court 1, and not a single photo even surfaced of Emma’s actual practice session. A very clever way to get the press off her back and practice in peace, huh? ;) of course it’s a trick she can employ only once, everybody will stake out the first session next time. I’m kinda half joking. Ok 90% joking. I think getting her period is the more likely thing.

But even more likely, she’s just being cautious. She’s a pro. She only needs to practice enough to make sure all her shots are in good shape for grass. It’s not like she’ll actually correct any technique or learn anything really new before Monday. Might as well just do the minimum to stay warmed up and allow her body to rest and heal as much as possible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts