Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Product Purple Violet Font Magenta

Font Art Darkness Brand Graphics

The 3rd slam of the year is quickly drawing upon us. With Emma being pictured at Wimbledon today for practice, the likelihood that she'll be fit enough to compete is looking healthier by the day. What condition she'll be in when she does start competing competitively will be anyone's guess. Here's hoping she can at least string a few good victories together, and receive a favourable draw.

Wimbledon this year will run from Monday 27th June - Sunday 10th July 2022.

As this is a slam event, it'll be a 128-player draw. There'll be NO BYES for seeded players, and Emma is currently seeded 10th as of 20th June 2022. THIS MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. The entry list of the event is listed below :

The main draw will be conducted later this week, and I'll update the OP below when this has been done.

Sleeve Font Magenta Logo Brand

I. Swiatek(1) vs J. Fett (Q)
S. Kartal (WC) vs D. Kovinic
C. Liu vs N. Parrizas Diaz
A. Cornet vs Y. Putintseva(27)
J. Teichmann(18)
vs A. Tomljanovic
C. Harrison(Q) vs A. Rus
V. Golubic vs A. Petkovic
M. Zanevska vs B. Krejcikova(13)

G. Muguruza(9)
vs G. Minnen
Q. Zheng vs S. Stephens
E. Bektas(Q) vs B. Andreeescu
S. Zhang vs E. Rybakina(17)
S. Rogers(30)
vs P. Martic
K. Kucova vs L. Pigossi
R. Masarova vs H. Dart
D. Vekic vs J. Pegula(8)

P. Badosa(4)
vs L. Chirico(Q)
I. Bara vs C. Paquet
A. Bogdan vs D. Yastremska
J. Paolini vs P. Kvitova(25)
C. Giorgi(21)
vs M. Frech
R. Peterson vs A. Schmiedlova
K. Flipkens(PR) vs J. Fourlis(Q)
K. Muchova vs S. Halep(16)

C. Gauff(11)
vs G. Ruse
M. Buzarnescu vs N. Schunk(Q)
M. Brengle vs L. Davis
X. Wang vs A. Anisimova(20)
S. Sorribes Tormo(32)
vs C. McHale(Q)
S. Williams(WC) vs H. Tan
C. Burel vs K. Boulter(WC)
T. Martincova vs K.Pliskova(6)

D. Collins(7)
vs M. Bouzkova
L. Bronzetti vs A. Li
K. Siniakova vs M. Chwalinska(Q)
Y. In-Albon vs A. Riske(28)
M. Keys(19)
vs M. Doi
M. Kostyuk vs K. Swan(WC)
C. Garcia vs Y. Miyazaki(WC)
A. van Uytvanck vs E. Raducanu(10)

A. Kerber(15)
vs K. Mladenovic
M. Linette vs F. Contreras(Q)
T. Zidansek vs P. Udvardy
C. Osorio vs E. Mertens(24)
K. Kanepi(31) vs D. Parry
C. Tauson vs M. Hontama(Q)
R. Marino vs K. Kawa(Q)
M. Bjorklund(Q) vs O. Jabeur(3)

M. Sakkari(5)
vs Z. Hives(Q)
D. Saville(WC) vs V. Tomova
A. Sharma(Q) vs T. Maria
A. Krunic vs S. Cirstea(26)
M. Trevisan(22)
vs E. Cocciaretto(PR)
E. Gorgodze vs I. Begu
Y. Wickmayer(Q) vs L. Zhu
O. Dodin vs J. Ostapenko(12)

B. Bencic(14)
vs Q. Wang
T. Korpatsch vs H. Watson
M. Inglis(Q) vs D. Galfi
K. Juvan vs B. Haddad Maia(23)
A. Kalinina(29)
vs A. Bondar
J. Burrage(WC) vs L. Tsurenko
J. Niemeier vs X. Wang
B. Pera vs A.Kontaveit(2)

Emma will play her first match either on Monday or Tuesday of next week, and her R1 opponent will be A. van Uytvanck.
As always, the matches will be available to download in the relevant thread at the top of Emma's Empire as and when they happen.

I'll keep this thread updated with more information as and when it's received over the next 7 days in the run-up to the main event. As of now, any discussion pertaining to the tournament itself, Emma's involvement in it and even the qualifying matches can go in here.

Let's goooooooooo!

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I'm surprised OFCOM haven't been in contact with the Daily Mail about their lack of moderation regarding the nature of some of the comments they allow on their website.

Some of them are truly vile, and would qualify as hate crimes under the law in the UK.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Halep would be my pick.

I'm glad Emma's not been picked, in all honesty. All that would do is supersize the enormous amount of pressure already on her to perform next week. I'd love it even more if she were given a smaller court to kick off her tournament, but I know that's unlikely to happen. She'll be CC or C1 in all of her matches.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
16 year old Victoria Jiménez Kasintseva is one set away from the main draw.
Good for her. I'm surprised she's not received a few MDWC's this year to some bigger tournaments given her age and ranking.

I think Emma will be physically fit come Monday or Tuesday next week, it's just a question of match-fitness. I hope she gets a couple of scrubs early doors to allow her to build her way into the tournament.

I don't want someone like Williams or Andreescu or Qinwen Zheng. Give me a couple of pushers that Emma can dominate and dictate against.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
A member of Raducanu’s team insisted that she is on track to compete in the championships next week after suffering a side strain during a match in Nottingham earlier this month. The issue requires close monitoring on a daily basis but is not serious enough as it stands to threaten her participation.
I understand she's skipped practice today. It's probably something they don't want to overdo, which tells me they're still a little cautious.

Hopefully she'll be scheduled to play on Tuesday, which will give her an extra day's preparation.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Unfortunately Kasintseva comfortably lost the next 2 sets. So none of the sub 200 ranked 16/17 years olds will be making an appearance this time.
That's a shame. Perhaps my memory is poor, but you don't often see 14-17 year olds in the main draw at WImbledon. Gauff is obviously an exception.

Understandable I suppose, given most players grow up on clay or hard, and junior players may find it especially hard to adjust.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 · (Edited)
The OP has been updated with the draw in full.

Interestingly, all British players in both the mens and womens draw (14 of them I think) have avoided seeds in R1.

For Emma, I think this is quite a decent draw according to rank. It's just a pity she's not coming into this fully prepared.

Van Uytvanck generally has a horrible record at Wimbledon (42% WR and she's 5/7), but she's had a good grass season this year. Will be tricky, but a winnable match.
Garcia's been knocked out in R1 on her last 3 appearances in Wimbledon and she's 7/8. Emma's beaten her already this year.
Keys would be a tricky match, and she can be extremely dangerous on grass. Has a decent record at the event.
She couldn't have asked for a better 4R opponent in Collins on Grass, who has a terrible record at Wimbledon and no prep at all either AFAIK. Alison Riske would actually be the tougher opponent if she were to get through.

She'll then have Kerber or Jabeur in the QFs if she gets that far. Not an unwinnable match, but very difficult.

This could have been a lot worse for Emma. She avoids Andreescu, Williams and some other dangerous unseeded players.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #349 ·
Didn't someone in here yesterday say she had 2 practice sessions lined up for today?

Perhaps she got through the 1st one and decided that was enough stressing and straining for the day. She may have lined up a second hour with Muguruza but it was subject to change depending on how she was physically feeling after that first session.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #460 ·
Paps were probably all in Court One.

AFAIK, two separate practice sessions are relatively uncommon for players this close to a major tournament. Being a few days away from the event, she may have earmarked today as the day where she tested the waters to see how durable her body was and push the boat out a little, so scheduled 2 practice sessions in, instead of just the one.

That she's pulled out of the 2nd one could be a sign that she doesn't feel confident enough to push her body for 2 x hourly sessions, especially if the hit with Muguruza was intended to be an intense one.

Best just to wait 24 hours to find out something more official.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 · (Edited)
Stuart Fraser's observations of Emma being 'downbeat' helped fuel the rumours about her imminently pulling out... Of course people (i.e. us) were going to be concerned.
This was the only thing that I found a bit strange. "downbeat" is very subjective.

If Emma isn't grinning from ear to ear, some on here might regard that as downbeat, but it might not actually be the case.

In any case, it would seem many can't wait 24 hours to get an answer straight from the horses mouth, and would rather invent their own head-canon.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
Bianca pretty much choked twice, she was up 4-2 in the second and 2*-0 AD in the third…played a good first set and tiebreak but missed some easy balls that she wouldn’t have missed in the Kasatkina match.

but yes, for sure Garcia could be tough

However, I think if Emma gets past AVU, she can definitely beat her. It would mean she’s physically fine mostly, and will have some confidence boost and match time. Far from guaranteed that Emma would beat Caroline, of course, but also far from impossible.
Didn't Garcia have some strapping on her leg and take an MTO in the 2nd set for an issue with her shoulder? I'm not even sure she'll be 100% fit in a couple of days.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
Emma's usually pretty honest about her body and how she's feeling during press conferences, so I take this as a good sign if she says she's ready to go from a physical POV.

She'll be on at a decent time on Monday (probably around 2:30-3:30pm).

If she's seeing the ball well, and is able to play at 100%, I'd back her to come through. AVU is dangerous, but she'll have to deal with Emma and a partisan crowd on CC, which isn't something she's had to deal with before. Emma just needs to give the crowd something to feed on.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Yeah, there was a couple of things from the PC which didn't quite add up, but she still seems upbeat and positive that she'll be raring to go on Monday. We'll find out how much of that is psychology at play when she steps onto the court.

She didn't really address why she didn't play with Muguruza, saying that after a consultation with her team, they decided to pass on the practice session. Why was there a consultation? I'm a bit surprised a journo didn't pick up on that and ask her a follow-up question.

The other one is the one others have picked up on about being pain-free.

Otherwise, quite a nice PC.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts