Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I was hoping we would get an update on whether if she is feeling any better while serving compared to last week. Nothing much on that from the latest Dickson article.

Anyways, I am prepared to her skipping Wimbledon. If she plays, then I think of it as bonus. If she doesn't, then not too much disappointment.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
On court with Emma today was Jane O'Donaghue, an LTA coach who seems to be close to Emma and her family.

Quote from Anne Keothavong in a Telegraph article from September 13th 2021:

"One person who deserves so much credit is Jane O’Donoghue, a Lawn Tennis Association coach until she left to go into the world of finance a couple of years ago. Jane is still very tight with Emma and her parents. She is a great friend of mine, and I know the hours she put in as national coach, all those 6am drives over from Wimbledon to Bromley to work with Emma."
considering how many Emma related articles I have come across over the last year, I am surprised I never heard of her. Apparently she is a former British tennis player, although mostly played at ITF level and she did seemed to have retired early

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
This Wimbledon is the most wide open slam I can remember in a while..most of the top10 players are coming back from injuries or are out of form. It is such a shame that Emma's grass season so far has been messed up with injury :facepalm:

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Did anybody else see this thread :spitrofl:

It's probably too strange to be true, but would be one of the best draws for Emma if so :tongueout:
some of those seed placements are also wrong. Like Emma and SST can't meet in 3rd round. Sakkari & Anisimova also can't meet in 3rd round

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That's a shame. Perhaps my memory is poor, but you don't often see 14-17 year olds in the main draw at WImbledon. Gauff is obviously an exception.

Understandable I suppose, given most players grow up on clay or hard, and junior players may find it especially hard to adjust.
yeah..it's very rare unless the player has a MD WC. If you look at current live rankings, there is no player in top100 that is younger than 18. Also Gauff is the only player younger than 19 years in top100. Noskova is the highest ranked player currently among < 18 years and she is ranked 141.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
It's not a good R1 draw but atleast it's an opponent Emma has played against before and won. She should have a decent idea about AVU's game. Emma's first top100 win of her career outside slams came against AVU in Chicago 125K last year. AVU was No1 seed at that event and was ranked around 60 and Emma beat her in R1 7-6 6-3

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I remember this post from @xenosys from that Dickson's book thread on Emma -

Another interesting tid-bit from the book. In conversation with Matt James, Emma's junior coach at the time, Dickson was told about an ITF tournament back in November 2018 in the Wirral, UK, which featured a relatively strong field :

"There were to be a couple of eye-catching wins as [Emma] reached the Semi-Finals. In the 2nd round, she faced her first ever top 200 opponent in Austria's Barbara Haas, and in the following match, defeated Belgium's Greet Minnen (a future top 100 player) ... Greet's girlfriend Alison van Uytvanck, who was ranked 60 in the world at the time, was there practising and watching. She told me after the match "This girl is going to be good." That really stuck with me because it was the first time I had heard it from someone from outside the UK who had made it to a high level."

1 - 20 of 51 Posts