Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1972 Posts

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Product Purple Violet Font Magenta

Font Art Darkness Brand Graphics

The 3rd slam of the year is quickly drawing upon us. With Emma being pictured at Wimbledon today for practice, the likelihood that she'll be fit enough to compete is looking healthier by the day. What condition she'll be in when she does start competing competitively will be anyone's guess. Here's hoping she can at least string a few good victories together, and receive a favourable draw.

Wimbledon this year will run from Monday 27th June - Sunday 10th July 2022.

As this is a slam event, it'll be a 128-player draw. There'll be NO BYES for seeded players, and Emma is currently seeded 10th as of 20th June 2022. THIS MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. The entry list of the event is listed below :

The main draw will be conducted later this week, and I'll update the OP below when this has been done.

Sleeve Font Magenta Logo Brand

I. Swiatek(1) vs J. Fett (Q)
S. Kartal (WC) vs D. Kovinic
C. Liu vs N. Parrizas Diaz
A. Cornet vs Y. Putintseva(27)
J. Teichmann(18)
vs A. Tomljanovic
C. Harrison(Q) vs A. Rus
V. Golubic vs A. Petkovic
M. Zanevska vs B. Krejcikova(13)

G. Muguruza(9)
vs G. Minnen
Q. Zheng vs S. Stephens
E. Bektas(Q) vs B. Andreeescu
S. Zhang vs E. Rybakina(17)
S. Rogers(30)
vs P. Martic
K. Kucova vs L. Pigossi
R. Masarova vs H. Dart
D. Vekic vs J. Pegula(8)

P. Badosa(4)
vs L. Chirico(Q)
I. Bara vs C. Paquet
A. Bogdan vs D. Yastremska
J. Paolini vs P. Kvitova(25)
C. Giorgi(21)
vs M. Frech
R. Peterson vs A. Schmiedlova
K. Flipkens(PR) vs J. Fourlis(Q)
K. Muchova vs S. Halep(16)

C. Gauff(11)
vs G. Ruse
M. Buzarnescu vs N. Schunk(Q)
M. Brengle vs L. Davis
X. Wang vs A. Anisimova(20)
S. Sorribes Tormo(32)
vs C. McHale(Q)
S. Williams(WC) vs H. Tan
C. Burel vs K. Boulter(WC)
T. Martincova vs K.Pliskova(6)

D. Collins(7)
vs M. Bouzkova
L. Bronzetti vs A. Li
K. Siniakova vs M. Chwalinska(Q)
Y. In-Albon vs A. Riske(28)
M. Keys(19)
vs M. Doi
M. Kostyuk vs K. Swan(WC)
C. Garcia vs Y. Miyazaki(WC)
A. van Uytvanck vs E. Raducanu(10)

A. Kerber(15)
vs K. Mladenovic
M. Linette vs F. Contreras(Q)
T. Zidansek vs P. Udvardy
C. Osorio vs E. Mertens(24)
K. Kanepi(31) vs D. Parry
C. Tauson vs M. Hontama(Q)
R. Marino vs K. Kawa(Q)
M. Bjorklund(Q) vs O. Jabeur(3)

M. Sakkari(5)
vs Z. Hives(Q)
D. Saville(WC) vs V. Tomova
A. Sharma(Q) vs T. Maria
A. Krunic vs S. Cirstea(26)
M. Trevisan(22)
vs E. Cocciaretto(PR)
E. Gorgodze vs I. Begu
Y. Wickmayer(Q) vs L. Zhu
O. Dodin vs J. Ostapenko(12)

B. Bencic(14)
vs Q. Wang
T. Korpatsch vs H. Watson
M. Inglis(Q) vs D. Galfi
K. Juvan vs B. Haddad Maia(23)
A. Kalinina(29)
vs A. Bondar
J. Burrage(WC) vs L. Tsurenko
J. Niemeier vs X. Wang
B. Pera vs A.Kontaveit(2)

Emma will play her first match either on Monday or Tuesday of next week, and her R1 opponent will be A. van Uytvanck.
As always, the matches will be available to download in the relevant thread at the top of Emma's Empire as and when they happen.

I'll keep this thread updated with more information as and when it's received over the next 7 days in the run-up to the main event. As of now, any discussion pertaining to the tournament itself, Emma's involvement in it and even the qualifying matches can go in here.

Let's goooooooooo!

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
It was good to see her at Wimbledon today with her racket bag and hitting partner. Hopefully she had a good hit, and later today some fan or other will post some short videos of her practice. But I guess she will go through Wimbledon without a "real" coach or even "trial" coach -- no coach in sight today.
Might be a good idea to postpone any potential cooperation with a dedicated coach until after USO. Right now, expectations are being constantly lowered, which is prolly better for Emma. After USO (which she's unlikely to defend) most of the season will be over, and it's unlikely she will qualify for YEC, so this would be the best time to work with a new coach.

·
Registered
34,885 Posts
Just for the purpose of clarity: Emma will neither gain OR lose points here?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Unfortunately, it is very improbable to see a last-minute agreement with ATP and WTA. Qualifiers have already started.

The good news is that despite loosing 240 points Emma may gain in ranking because others will lose more points. Depending on what other players do this week she may end up #10. More details in post #689 in Emma's WTA World Ranking Discussion Thread.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Unfortunately, it is very improbable to see a last-minute agreement with ATP and WTA. Qualifiers have already started.

The good news is that despite loosing 240 points Emma may gain in ranking because others will lose more points. Depending on what other players do this week she may end up #10. More details in post #689 in Emma's WTA World Ranking Discussion Thread.
Yes I was surprised to learn that, taking the Wimbledon points issue out of the equation, the worst Emma will rank after the Championships is twelfth.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes I was surprised to learn that, taking the Wimbledon points issue out of the equation, the worst Emma will rank after the Championships is twelfth.
It is a pity that Emma got injured and missed all 3 pre-Wimbledon weeks. Had she played either the planned two WTA250s or the Eastbourne she would have had decent chances to rise above #10.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

However it’s quite possible that they are forced later to retroactively award them.
That in particular in the case that USO and AO decide to consider Wimbledon points when doing their entry and their seeding, effectively creating a parallel slam rankings and making the ATP / WTA rankings actually redundant.
But yes, a last minute agreement before the tournament seems unlikely.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It is a pity that Emma got injured and missed all 3 pre-Wimbledon weeks. Had she played either the planned two WTA250s or the Eastbourne she would have had decent chances to rise above #10.
It is, but nothing can be done now. If Emma does well in the fast hc season, she can still save her year. Fortunately after Wimbledon she has 3-4 weeks (depending on how far she goes) of rest and training before hc swing starts. She can get in good form for the hc swing

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Emma Raducanu has raised hopes she will be fit to play Wimbledon by returning to practice at the All England Club.

The US Open champion has spent the last two days sparring with her hitting partner, American pro Raymond Sarmiento, as she seeks to build up her workload following an injury layoff.

Raducanu, who retired from her first-round match at the Nottingham Open two weeks ago, managed a couple of brief sessions late last week but is anxious not to aggravate the side strain she suffered there.

She pulled out of the WTA tournament in Birmingham and did not go ahead with plans to enter Eastbourne.

At best she will have only seven competitive games on grass going into Wimbledon, but is desperate to make the start line for The Championships.

Unless there is a major setback in the next 48 hours she is likely to wait until shortly before Friday morning’s draw before making a decision.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Emma Raducanu has raised hopes she will be fit to play Wimbledon by returning to practice at the All England Club.

The US Open champion has spent the last two days sparring with her hitting partner, American pro Raymond Sarmiento, as she seeks to build up her workload following an injury layoff.

Raducanu, who retired from her first-round match at the Nottingham Open two weeks ago, managed a couple of brief sessions late last week but is anxious not to aggravate the side strain she suffered there.

She pulled out of the WTA tournament in Birmingham and did not go ahead with plans to enter Eastbourne.

At best she will have only seven competitive games on grass going into Wimbledon, but is desperate to make the start line for The Championships.

Unless there is a major setback in the next 48 hours she is likely to wait until shortly before Friday morning’s draw before making a decision.
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
I was hoping we would get an update on whether if she is feeling any better while serving compared to last week. Nothing much on that from the latest Dickson article.

Anyways, I am prepared to her skipping Wimbledon. If she plays, then I think of it as bonus. If she doesn't, then not too much disappointment.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
A more cautious report than I would have hoped for considering the smiley pictures from today. Dickson speculating it’s still possible Emma won’t be fit enough to play.
But hey, he does say ‘hopes have been raised’ so that’s good at least. :)
I think the “hopes have been raised” quote was made purely because the media spotted her there. There hasn’t been any sort of info about the sort of training she’s been doing at Wimbledon, whether she’s able to go back to normal training or she’s still doing “relatively gentle” training like last week.

1 - 20 of 1972 Posts