Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever read this book? I've just finished reading it, and I cannot find another word to describe it but AMAZING.
The funny thing is that after reading I checked out what was Lindsay's favourite book and guess what... :eek: ! Now THAT was strange...

It's the story about this teenage boy Holden who's going through some changes in life, growing up. I mean I say this after analazing the book, but the story is very simple actually. I strongly recomend you guys to read it.. I'm in no way saying you'll like it, because there are some people who simply hate it, but I believe it's a very nice book indeed to read.

What are your thoughts about this book? It must have been the first book I was requested to read and analyzed and actually LIKED it. The thing of having to read the book makes it really hard to. Luckily I got to read it at the age of 16 so it was just perfect...

Joaco

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Sorry, but didn't care for the book one bit.

If you ask me, that kid is truly strange and weird.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
Sorry, but didn't care for the book one bit.

If you ask me, that kid is truly strange and weird.
Duh. That's the whole point. Catcher in the Rye would not be Catcher in the Rye, if Holden wasn't a whacked out individual. All of his strange adventures, his social dilemmas... none of this would have been possible if not for his pyschological problems. Sheesh.

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
ditto :rolleyes:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
lmao :rolleyes:

:wavey:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
that was cute Brian, lol :kiss:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The perfect age to read that book is about 15 or 16 . . . I read it later and couldn't really relate, though I'm sure if I had read it in my middle teens I would have been a fawn.

Its a great book and I agree, everyone should at least give it a go.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,053 Posts
I read it a few years back, its a great read:)

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
joaco said:
Venus Forever seems like you never really analyzed it nor got/understood it.
I analyzed it with great detail, I just didn't like it. I had to read it, analyze, find literary elements, themes, plots, yada yada. I didn't care for it, is there something wrong with that??

I understood the meaning, why it was written, etc. I just didn't enjoy the book. I found it very boring, and how a teen of his age could not see the corruptiveness of the world, even in children. But, whatever, I just didn't like it.

I think this book is for 10 year olds who would be excited to see some curse words in there, but it just wasn't appealing to me.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
There is a German word for these types of books that show people coming of age. These are my favorite type of books. Joaco if you like Catcher in the Rye you should read Bless me, Ultima or Cold Sassy Tree.

Reactions: anton

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just finished reading this book. I like the character of Holden a lot however, he would probably hate me because I am a phoney lol and that just depressed me like you wouldn't believe. But actually the book is very good , very well written. However I find it more to be a boy book. I don't really think many girls can appreciate it. I could be wrong though. However the second half of the book was really a letdown I don't know how I could have made it better but I was just let down a little bit in the end. I actually want to go out and buy a red hunting hat now. I give it *** 3/4 stars out of 5.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
However I find it more to be a boy book. I don't really think many girls can appreciate it.
I don't agree with that at all. Just because the main character was a boy and thus wasn't going through the exact same things as a female, a LOT of the issues that he dealt with could be related back to my own experiences. I think that I was 14 or 15 when I read this, and I haven't touched it since. But at the time, despite my gender, it was still a great read, and I certainly appreciated it.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Holden was Mark David Chapman's "role-model" when he killed John Lennon. (And no, I'm not blaming author JD Salinger for that, BTW). But if anyone wants to post who they're stalking here... :eek:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts